IT.COM

New domainer with already 4 domains to sell

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jay Ha

Exploring..Top Member
Impact
Hello peeps!
I was on twitter early in the day when I found a user badically tagging specific usernames and asking them if they want to buy his domains. Ex: ask 5 users that have a common word to buy a domain that contains that specific word.

Being unemployed with some interest in domains brought me to godaddy.com since I already had a couple personal domains bought from that site.

10 minutes later, I find myself becoming the owner of 4 domain names which are the following (all are COMs):
- Utdrd (as in United Road)
- 3drd (saw similar domain selling for +$10,000 so I thought it could have potential)
- Ehbed (something related to the furniture industry)
- Uxale (thought it could be brandable)

I just want to know if these domains have potential and what/how to target in order to sell them. Also, I don't really know which platform I can use so that buyers would find my domains. I am now on godaddy auctions but I plan to find some alternative medium to find buyers.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
<<3DRD could also mean 3D Research & Development.>>

That's the best use for it, but it's a stretch that such a domain would be picked up.

<<Also a furniture company wouldn't probably name itself Eh Bed>>

Perhaps a Canadian one? :playful:

•••
here are some potential end users to try to sell for $xxx- low $xxxx fast (replace slash with dot)

3drdcrafts/com
3drdesign/org
3drdparts/com

•••
The post by @frank-germany re not a domainer I think (could be wrong) was based on the fact that the name domainer applies to those who buy and sell domains, and until the first sale, maybe a stretch?

That being said I personally use the word more broadly for those who are interested in the field of domain buying and selling and monetization, etc., whether actually yet selling or even buying But what definitions I could find (many dictionaries don't define it at all as a word) are consistent with the narrower buyer and seller definition.

In any case, welcome @Jay Ha and glad that you have done additional research re trends, use etc. Brandable is a difficult niche to crack, but the very best in your future endeavours!

•••
Already contacted the first website on the list but thanks for the other ones. Also the 3D Rendering & Design for 3drd is something that can be worked on.

•••
The post by @frank-germany re not a domainer I think (could be wrong) was based on the fact that the name domainer applies to those who buy and sell domains, and until the first sale, maybe a stretch?

That being said I personally use the word more broadly for those who are interested in the field of domain buying and selling and monetization, etc., whether actually yet selling or even buying But what definitions I could find (many dictionaries don't define it at all as a word) are consistent with the narrower buyer and seller definition.

In any case, welcome @Jay Ha and glad that you have done additional research re trends, use etc. Brandable is a difficult niche to crack, but the very best in your future endeavours!

Thank you for the welcome @MetBob!
Created the post owning 4 domains and 0 knowledge in domaining. Now I have 6 domains(!) and like 5% knowledge lol. It is pretty addictive but I’m learning and that’s the most important thing right now. Sales and better domains will come I’m sure.

Last edited:
•••
OK mates I was reading a lot lately and I now realize how unmarketable the domains that I started with.
Now, I own 10 domains. That's how much I am planning to keep until my first sale, until then I'm going to keep on reading of course. 4 of them were my first round of domain buying before I got here and the other 6 are the following (all .COMs):
-M e m o i r L i s t / A website that publishes memoirs of famous people or probably some website where family members can share their own memoirs, could be a long shot
-R e c o v e r y H e m p / Hemp related (booming market), many products are marketed as recovery hemp
-C r y p t o G o F o r / Crypto related, also could be a long shot
-s t a n n e d / (v.) past tense, brandable
+ 2 adult names that I think I'm not allowed to post here.

As you may notice I wanted to register at least 1 domain for each niche to see how close I am to understand the market. I would appreciate your feedback.

•••
Hi @Jay Ha ...

Welcome to NamePros..
( You won't regret it...)

I was (still) in your place...
We assume by seeing other sales...thats not a problem...

We will learn by doing mistakes...or should I say take decisions that are not so worthy for our future self!!

That is okay if you did it in starting and in less volume...

I see you came to NamePros for suggestions...and I think that step is good for your future self...

All you need now is to spend time here...and read a lot...

Note down the resources mentioned in these threads here...

And after a month try to come up with a domain name and use all the resources and knowledge you gathered for last one month to check (estimate) the potential of the domain name you are thinking of registering..

If you think it's worth to register...go on and do it..but only one name for now..and try to get opinion again here...

This makes you wise in deciding what to register...but still the selling part can not be guessed all times...and it takes time...and usually it's in buyers hand...

Good luck...

It looks like I didn't follow your advice but I am positive that the registering will stop until I get my first sale.

•••
@Jay Ha hey I did the same thing and wasted money... I think with little knowledge and more assumption...we end up in overconfident decisions...and these decisions reveal themselves as regrets afterwards...

I am not saying you did like this...but I did this and still I am sure i will do that mistake...
Still learning...

All I want to say to you is take it slow...

•••
•••
Sometimes it may be worth it to spend a little more than a hand reg for a better chance at an end user. I purchased a $40 here on NamePros that was related to the book/publishing industry and I flipped it on GoDaddy to an end user for $1200.

Sometimes a slightly bigger investment leads to a much larger payoff ;)

•••
As others have said I'd put them on Afternic (for like $100 each) and let them sit while turning off auto-renewal.

I bought over 550 useless domain names years ago when I first started out and maybe 1-2 of them had any value at all and certainly couldn't pay for the others. I spend over 5k and didn't auto renew a single domain from the bunch. It's one of my biggest regrets in domaining. Just take some time to learn the ropes.

I do not want to come off as being rude, but I think your evaluation of the sales prices for these names is very high.

This could be a good reference tool to give you an idea of what 5L's are selling for:
https://shortnames.com/5l

Last edited:
•••
I will throw a couple of quotes here:

1. Rule No.1- Never Lose money
2. In order to make money you have to spend money (spending $10 and expecting $$$$$ is far-fetched)
3. Rule No.3 - Never forget rule No.1

...and you make of it whatever you want.

•••
Agree with @vravis9 and others that encourage to go slow (I know hard to do, I suspect at least 75% on NPs regd. too many in first months :xf.sick:)!

My list of 46 pieces of advice to those new in domain investing starts with #1 Start Slowly... (#2 is be realistic, #3 is quality over quantity and #4 is join NPs!).

Bob

Hey @MetBob ...

Thanks for mentioning the article you wrote...

I read it and it is very thorough and very useful for beginners...

I hope you shared this on NamePros...

Left long comment on the blog post... hope to see more articles from you..

Thanks,
Ravi

•••
Sometimes it may be worth it to spend a little more than a hand reg for a better chance at an end user. I purchased a $40 here on NamePros that was related to the book/publishing industry and I flipped it on GoDaddy to an end user for $1200.

Sometimes a slightly bigger investment leads to a much larger payoff ;)

Yep. By the looks of it, it seems more feasible to bargain hunt than to hand reg.

•••
As others have said I'd put them on Afternic (for like $100 each) and let them sit while turning off auto-renewal.

I bought over 550 useless domain names years ago when I first started out and maybe 1-2 of them had any value at all and certainly couldn't pay for the others. I spend over 5k and didn't auto renew a single domain from the bunch. It's one of my biggest regrets in domaining. Just take some time to learn the ropes.

I do not want to come off as being rude, but I think your evaluation of the sales prices for these names is very high.

This could be a good reference tool to give you an idea of what 5L's are selling for:

Thanks for the advice and link. Always good to listen to other domainers' mistakes when dipping my toes in the water. I'm at a very small portion of your investment of course. Will surely take it slow from here.

•••
I will throw a couple of quotes here:

1. Rule No.1- Never Lose money
2. In order to make money you have to spend money (spending $10 and expecting $$$$$ is far-fetched)
3. Rule No.3 - Never forget rule No.1

...and you make of it whatever you want.

Thanks for the advice. Stopped regging now till my first sale which I'm going to invest its money in domain bargains so basically the amount allocated for beginning this journey is exhausted and now is the time to learn selling techniques and actually start selling.

•••
Being unemployed with some interest in domains brought me to godaddy.com since I already had a couple personal domains bought from that site.

May not be the smartest move to start domain business if you have not steady income, unless you have a decent portfolio of a "real value" domains and good knowledge about this business. NamePros will help you to understand how it works, but I am afraid without capital and know how the capital use in the right way, you won't succeed. This business is about patience. Good luck tho.

•••
May not be the smartest move to start domain business if you have not steady income, unless you have a decent portfolio of a "real value" domains and good knowledge about this business. NamePros will help you to understand how it works, but I am afraid without capital and know how the capital use in the right way, you won't succeed. This business is about patience. Good luck tho.

I understand your concern but I want to make it clear that the emount spent will not affect me in the slightest way since my financials are pretty much unaffected by my recent purchases. After all, I am also a Forex trader and this is an almost negligible amount of money in relation to the money used in my trading over the years.

•••
•••
I understand your concern but I want to make it clear that the emount spent will not affect me in the slightest way since my financials are pretty much unaffected by my recent purchases. After all, I am also a Forex trader and this is an almost negligible amount of money in relation to the money used in my trading over the years.

That's how it begins. Four registered domains become 100, year later its $1,000 renewal :xf.wink:

•••
That's how it begins. Four registered domains become 100, year later its $1,000 renewal :xf.wink:

True but i'm not planning to own a portfolio of strictly hand regged domains. Could start with a dozen hand regged then use the proceeds to bargain some domains of value, after some flips I'd have enough money to expand my portfolio by buying some really good domains that would bring the price up for my whole portfolio. Isn't this how portfolios are created? Of course, domains of no value are destined to be dropped.

•••

This is very good advice.

I did exactly the same and went through a steep learning curve and luckily came out the other side with a handful of domains that have potential. Although costly this process taught me what’s got potential and what’s not.

Take your time, listen to advice, keep up to date with new technology and you might get lucky and get some for reg fee or pick some up off other domainers if you get in early enough.

Good luck

•••
Luckily I was able to refund 4 domain names which I'm now positive they won't sell. Gonna use the refunds to buy 4 other domains that are on my list which I had created after several days of research. Thanks mates!

•••
Luckily I was able to refund 4 domain names which I'm now positive they won't sell. Gonna use the refunds to buy 4 other domains that are on my list which I had created after several days of research. Thanks mates!
Good move

•••
Hi guys and girls, it's me.
I posted this thread on my first day when I had 4 domains and 0 sales. Next week I will be 6 months into domaining, with 100 domains -and 1 sale- and I still call myself a beginner.

I've gone through the whole thread and I can see that I didn't follow some of the tips that you guys posted. Heck, I didn't even follow my own 'plan' (at that time).

Would you be interested in taking a look at my current portfolio (a bit less than 70 hand regs and around 30 aftermarket buys)?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back