NameSilo

New Domain Extensions May be the Wave of the Future

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ambrose.xu

Established Member
Impact
source ------ http://www.thehostingnews.com/new-domain-extensions-may-be-the-wave-of-the-future.html

Domain names are the way your business is recognized online. Choosing the right domain name is a big deal for businesses because it’s part of your brand and online presence. Finding the right name is challenging, being just as important as choosing a great business name, especially when so many of the good ones have already been claimed.

The good news for businesses is that things are evolving and making way for domain extensions. These are going to be the wave of the future when it comes to domains, making it easier for you to enter the world of domains and having the option for hundreds of new domain endings rather than a dot com. Take a look at the new future of domains and what to expect.

The old .Com
You are used to the era of .com at the end of all of your regular web addresses. Since the internet became a thing, .com was the choice for top level domains, despite options like .org and .net. Dot.com is what people think of when it comes to the internet and it’s what people recognize.

This makes the new wave of domain extensions a bit of a problem because most people will default to .com when typing in a web address. Some of the most memorable domains like FB.com have been purchased by brands like Facebook for millions of dollars making it harder and harder to register new .com domains.

The new domain possibilities
16602419_s-233x300.jpg
Now that .com is going to be phased out for new domain extensions, you don’t have to stress out about your creative abilities for coming up with a domain that hasn’t already been claimed yet. Now you will get to use new TLDs making the combinations almost endless. You can now apply to create your own TLD extension just like dozens of other brands have done.

For example, you can register your own trademark name like many others have started to do. Now you’ll see TLDs like .chrysler and .aaa rather than .com. You may start to see TLD’s such as .dentist, .rentals, or .wine. Many others may also start to appear with endless possibilities out there.

Should I make the change?
The popularity of .com has made it a slow process, but more and more people are starting to get on board with the new TLD. It’s the perfect time to get yours as the trend is picking up steam. Many brands trying this are selling specific products or items and adding TLDs like .toys or .tools as their domain extension. You’ll also find it for locations or services, such as Rostrum.agency or Festival.Melbourne.

12153867_s-300x262.jpg
When you can’t make a regular domain name work for your brand, getting a TLD is the perfect solution. You don’t have to stress about how creative you can be with all of the taken names because domain extensions make it easy. If people have still taken your idea, you can add numbers, a location, words, or hyphens to make it more specific to you.

For example, if you needed to use .wine, you could make yours .WineSanFrancisco or .SmithWine. You’ll likely find that you have more possibilities, your audience can more easily remember you, and that you are staying with the trends. On the other hand, your audience will assume you are a .com for a while, so you may be slower to reach less tech-savvy customers.

New domain extensions are definitely going to be the new norm, but for now, you may notice that people still default to .com.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
you are probabbly working for a aregistrar.
Nothing you say happened or will happen.
.com was, is and will be King. Full stop

•••
Live in good dreams. It is always better than real life.

•••
"eventually" "one day" "just give them some time" "may be the future of domaining" "they are picking up"

•••
"Now that .com is going to be phased out for new domain extensions..."
That made me laugh.

I do like A FEW of the new gtlds. I do think the public will get used to the new extensions. I think we will see them more & more. But, I don't see .com going away within the next 50 years, until a new Internet comes out.

•••
But, I don't see .com going away within the next 50 years, until a new Internet comes out.

While I agree about .com remaining king for the indefinite future of the internet, I think we are looking at max 15 years before domains are no longer needed.

Last edited:
•••
Max. 15 years???
ICANN plan to launch the new portion of nTLDs in ~2020...

•••
And the only one significant change for the last 30 years - IPv6, and that's all.

•••
I don't disagree with the ideas of newTLD; however, repeated extension, addition and long extensions can sometimes distroyed its purpose.

Example of: similar extension: net, web, webs, website, site, com, online, biz and business etc...
Example of: long and extended extension, .restaurants, .bobsrestaurant etc...

•••
I don't disagree with the ideas of newTLD; however, repeated extension, addition and long extensions can sometimes distroyed its purpose.

Example of: similar extension: net, web, webs, website, site, com, online, biz and business etc...
Example of: long and extended extension, .restaurants, .bobsrestaurant etc...

if it includes good meaning, long words are acceptable. but chineses all like shorter and shorter domains.
.online is good, but it is not popular in china

•••
I'm also favor of one or two words secondary name. But sometimes long memorable phrases are worth more, than two words name that does not make any sense.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back