NameSilo

question New company wants to buy my old domain name.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

namexf

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys.
I am new to this.
I will try to simplify.
I own a .com domain name from many many years. Its been parked all this time.
Now a new company has contacted me and they want to buy it from me.
This company's name is the same as my domain name. And they have recently registered a local domain
with that name. But they are interested on buying the .com version (from me).
The key point is that I registered the domain name before this company even existed with this name.

Is there a risk that they could forcefully take it away from me if I try to negotiate a price that it is too high?

I am open to sell it but I would like to know how much can I ask.

Thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it was bit misunderstanding on people's part here. If it had been clear at the start that you are not here looking for a solution to a specific problem, but just for fun, this thread wouldn't have reached 3 pages.

You were advised to hire a broker because it seemed you were not able to handle the potential sale of your domain.

Anyways, all's well that ends well.
Have a nice day.

If you review the thread you will see that everything was nice until ONE particular poster came here looking for trouble using aggressive expressions. This is the one who "advised" or rather, pushed me to hire a broker.

•••
1. You want to sell this domain.

2. The interested party want to buy this domain.

I don't think there's much rocket science here. Quote any price you think you'll be okay with and let the negotiation begins.

The more you delay, the less interested the deal may becomes. Sometimes, you get the best deal when the excitement is still there.

•••
New company is new owner getting you to buy it back.

•••
1. You want to sell this domain.

2. The interested party want to buy this domain.

I don't think there's much rocket science here. Quote any price you think you'll be okay with and let the negotiation begins.

The more you delay, the less interested the deal may becomes. Sometimes, you get the best deal when the excitement is still there.

Maybe. But rushing is not good either.

New company is new owner getting you to buy it back.

Sorry I don't understand.

•••
Maybe. But rushing is not good either
Then do whatever comes into your mind. But by all means, leave everyone else out of it.

THREAD CLOSED

•••
I have visited their current websites and it is just a basic promotional page. I think they have very little traffic.

They also have a Youtube channel with a few promotional videos but also very few visits. A few hundred visits each video at most.

So right now they have marginal web presence.

It is an industrial projects company and it seems they sell all over the world and they are willing to expand.
But i am not sure their kind of business is web oriented.

•••
Then do whatever comes into your mind. But by all means, leave everyone else out of it.

THREAD CLOSED

Thank you for closing my thread. Do you want me to close your threads too?

•••
As it has been suggested in this thread, it is up to me to do a research and find out a fair figure. Then negotiate around that figure.

Research yes to know what people might pay, but many would suggest you should ask the client to make the opening offer. Ultimately domain prices are arbitrary and you probably want the highest price you can get.

About brokers, there is no expectation that people here hire members as brokers. I wouldn't. If you list the domain for sale at Uniregistry then it can be handled by their brokers and I believe you can pass an existing negotiation to them.

If you use a sales platform that allows payment in installments that may get you a better price.

Last edited:
•••
Research yes to know what people might pay, but many would suggest you should ask the client to make the opening offer.

About brokers, there is no expectation that people here hire members as brokers. I wouldn't. If you list the domain for sale at Uniregistry then it can be handled by their brokers and I believe you can pass an existing negotiation to them.
Hi. Thanks.
I am going to check Uniregistry to see how it works. I think other poster suggested that my registrar could act as a broker but i think he was being sarcastic??

Posts by Ja Kai seemed to imply that i was not acting under the forum rules or customs, that I was an annoyance for everyone and I should choose quicky a forum broker to help me and end this thread asap. Also it seems he wanted to choose the broker for me.
(Or maybe my english is not good enough and i misunderstood him).
Also forumer dande seems bothered by me.

Last edited:
•••
You should think about why you bought the name in the first place. Were you planning to develop it, or were you hoping to sell it?

Sometimes we get attached to our domain names and this attachment prevents us from doing what we would otherwise know is best.

In most cases, offers come rarely.

Figure a price that you would not regret later. Ignore namebio sales, etc. It's about what makes you feel good.

Ask the prospect to submit their "best offer". Either counter their offer or accept.

In no time at all, the domain will be a fond memory and you will have moved on to other names.

Great domain investors buy and sell without hesitation or emotion. They understand that there will always be "another name". Another love. Another payday.

Last edited:
•••
You should think about why you bought the name in the first place. Were you planning to develop it, or were you hoping to sell it?

Sometimes we get attached to our domain names and this attachment prevents us from doing what we would otherwise know is best.

In most cases, offers come rarely.

Figure a price that you would not regret later. Ignore namebio sales, etc. It's about what makes you feel good.

Ask the prospect to submit their "best offer". Either counter their offer or accept.

In no time at all, the domain will be a fond memory and you will have moved on to other names.

Great domain investors buy and sell without hesitation or emotion. They understand that there will always be "another name". Another love. Another payday.

Thanks.
I bought the name many years ago when it was not taken. For 10$. It was a good name that I could use some day for my projects or resell it to someone else.

Yes, the key point is figuring out a price that i won't regret later. But this is also the most difficult part.

Yes, Namebio results don't look very meaningful. I will look for alternatives.

Remainder: my account at NP is new and I still cannot give thanks to posts.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks.
I bought the name many years ago when it was not taken. For 10$. It was a good name that I could use some day for my projects or resell it to someone else.

Yes, the key point is figuring out a price that i won't regret later. But this is also the most difficult part.

Remainder: my account at NP is new and I still cannot give thanks to posts.
It is only difficult because you of your attachment and your lack of experience.

You need them to make a monetary offer first. This is how you will control the negotiation.

You cant possibly decide whether or not to sell without them putting a number in front of you.

The answer is no, you are not selling but...that could change with the *right* offer.

1k - not for sale
3k - not for sale
5k - not for sale
6k - might be for sale if we can get to 10k or meet in the middle.

:)

Last edited:
•••
If they want it and do not want to pay your price they might try to get it via UDRP action.

Even if you do everything right you could still lose because the decisions are not always fair.

Many domainers have lost their domains because of unfair UDRP decisions.

If you get the wrong panelist or panelists it will not matter if you are in the right,

you could still lose your domain.

•••
It is only difficult because you of your attachment and your lack of experience.

You need them to make a monetary offer first. This is how you will control the negotiation.

You cant possibly decide whether or not to sell without them putting a number in front of you.

The answer is no, you are not selling but...that could change with the *right* offer.

1k - not for sale
3k - not for sale
5k - not for sale
6k - might be for sale if we can get to 10k or meet in the middle.

:)

Ok. But they asked me if i would like to make an offer.

If they want it and do not want to pay your price they might try to get it via UDRP action.

Even if you do everything right you could still lose because the decisions are not always fair.

Many domainers have lost their domains because of unfair UDRP decisions.

If you get the wrong panelist or panelists it will not matter if you are in the right,

you could still lose your domain.

The risk is still there, yes.

•••
I can confirm that my name is a dictionary word. When i search in the Wiktionary. It has its own entry.
Looks to me that this is very important and a great advantage.

Last edited:
•••
Great domain investors buy and sell without hesitation or emotion. [/QUOTE]

I can tell OP this for sure. If you don't get help (someone else to take control and complete), you are doomed. You will not sell period, or you will get a price well below what you should have realized.

•••
I can confirm that my name is a dictionary word. When i search in the Wiktionary. It has its own entry.
Looks to me that this is very important and a great advantage.

Wiktionary is more of a curated, web dictionary than a true, official dictionary.

If your name does not appear in a "real" dictionary, it is not a true "dictionary" domain.

This does not mean it does not have value of course.

Many made up words, having value as a domain name, appear in the Wiktionary.

But the type of "dictionary" domains most domainers talk about are the ones

appearing in a true dictionary.

•••
Wiktionary is more of a curated, web dictionary than a true, official dictionary.

If your name does not appear in a "real" dictionary, it is not a true "dictionary" domain.

This does not mean it does not have value of course.

Many made up words, having value as a domain name, appear in the Wiktionary.

But the type of "dictionary" domains most domainers talk about are the ones

appearing in a true dictionary.

This is not an artificially made up word. It is a verb tense. Not english though.
I wonder if this company has made a mistake trademarking this word.

Last edited:
•••
it's all a waste of time until we know the name. Guessing about TM issues, Prices, Negotiations, etc that too without knowing the name. Domaining doesn't work like this. If your serious, just mask your name letters with ///,-,= or whatever and put it here in the forum for better advice.

•••
Take your name and put it in a text editor like google docs or notepad or something similar, then take a screen shot and put the domain here as an attachment. Crop out as much as you can around the domain name. like this:

upload_2019-12-23_13-19-56.png

•••
. If your serious, just mask your name letters with ///,-,= or whatever and put it here in the forum for better advice.

I would not post a domain, masked or as a graphic. Google now reads and indexes text in graphics and I have seen masked words turn up in searches.

•••
Take your name and put it in a text editor like google docs or notepad or something similar, then take a screen shot and put the domain here as an attachment. Crop out as much as you can around the domain name. like this:

Show attachment 139762

NO NO NO. At one time that was good advice but is now out of date. NO.

•••
I would not post a domain, masked or as a graphic. Google now reads and indexes text in graphics and I have seen masked words turn up in searches.

OK, did not know that. I wish these forums were hidden from Google. Ugh.

•••
Thanks carob.
Besides, john888 also told me not to publish the name here because someone reading the forum could contact the potential buyer and mess things up.

Last edited:
•••
too many cooks in the kitchen.... bound to spoil the recipe

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back