Dynadot

question New company wants to buy my old domain name.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

namexf

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys.
I am new to this.
I will try to simplify.
I own a .com domain name from many many years. Its been parked all this time.
Now a new company has contacted me and they want to buy it from me.
This company's name is the same as my domain name. And they have recently registered a local domain
with that name. But they are interested on buying the .com version (from me).
The key point is that I registered the domain name before this company even existed with this name.

Is there a risk that they could forcefully take it away from me if I try to negotiate a price that it is too high?

I am open to sell it but I would like to know how much can I ask.

Thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you want to keep it but still make everyone happy , you can rent them the domain name for a long period of time.like 2-3 years and then see if you wanna sell or no

•••
news: I quoted a price in the high XXXXX's but they only expected to pay in the low XXXX's.
because they went to automatic valuation sites and got that figure.
So no deal.

•••
You would need a lawyer to decide what to do.

I am not a lawyer.

Some things to consider:
The country you live in
The country of registrar
The country of buyer
The country of company

If you just owned the name and there is no site attached. I'm pretty sure theres not a thing any nobody can do to try and take it away.

Once you put content on the site, thats when it gets complicated.

VERY IMPORTANT:
Also be sure you have taken precautions to prevent your name from being stolen.

•••
You would need a lawyer to decide what to do.

I am not a lawyer.

Some things to consider:
The country you live in
The country of registrar
The country of buyer
The country of company

If you just owned the name and there is no site attached. I'm pretty sure theres not a thing any nobody can do to try and take it away.

Once you put content on the site, thats when it gets complicated.

VERY IMPORTANT:
Also be sure you have taken precautions to prevent your name from being stolen.

No problem. I don't think there is any danger.

•••
news: I quoted a price in the high XXXXX's but they only expected to pay in the low XXXX's.
So no deal.

Well that is what they said. That can be a typical opening gambit. So negotiations begin.

There is plenty of stuff on here about domain appraisal sites, scams, negotiation influence etc - domains often enough sell for far more and most people hold appraisals to be worthless.

•••
Well that is what they said. That can be a typical opening gambit. So negotiations begin.

There is plenty of stuff on here about domain appraisal sites, scams, negotiation influence etc - domains often enough sell for far more and most people hold appraisals to be worthless.

Indeed. These automatic appraisals are often quite worthless. Especially in brandables. The software can't understand the gist of the catchword and it interprets it as nonsense. I told them but they will need some time to realize. I will wait. Or else i will keep the domain for my future use. Or for a different buyer. I am sure it will be a question of time that other companies will be created with this name.

•••
So no deal.

Without knowing the name it is impossible to tell if your quoted price is realistic, and we cannot advice you on that.

From what I understood from your posts, the domain is brandable made up word, right? If so then please check number of taken extensions for the same name, you can check that by doing the following:
  1. Go to dofo.com
  2. Enter your domain name in search box
  3. Click "View All Extension"
  4. Look at "Registered" tab

If the number of registered domains is just few like 1 to 4 then your domain is highly like not worth more than low x,xxx
However if number of registered domains is high like 50+ then your domain value is most likely in the xx,xxx range

However this all depend on the domain name and you need to ask someone expert in the field to give you accurate appraisal.

Last edited:
•••
Without knowing the name it is impossible to tell if your quoted price is realistic, and we cannot advice you on that.

From what I understood from your posts, the domain is brandable made up word, right? If so then please check number of taken extensions for the same name, you can check that by doing the following:
  1. Go to dofo.com
  2. Enter your domain name in search box
  3. Click "View All Extension"
  4. Look at "Registered" tab

If the number of registered domains is just few like 1 to 4 then your domain is highly like not worth more than low x,xxx
However if number of registered domains is high like 50+ then your domain value is most likely in the xx,xxx range

However this all depend on the domain name and you need to ask someone expert in the field to give you accurate appraisal.
Do i have to enter the full name without the .com? Or do i have to remove the suffix as well?

•••
Do i have to enter the full name without the .com? Or do i have to remove the suffix as well?
Enter full name with .com

•••
Enter full name with .com
It has found just the .com and the .net.
But there are 2 more that i know and these have not been listed by dofo.

•••
It has found just the .com and the .net.
But there are 2 more that i know and these have not been listed by dofo.

Then name is not high xx,xxx you need to quote lower price, but the problem is that the damage has been done, if you now quote much lower price they will think that you are desperate! You should had done correct domain evaluation from beginning, others asked you to post the name as image you should have done that to get correct feedback!

Anyway try now to counter in mid xx,xxx and hope that back and forth negotiations will happen.

good luck

•••
Then name is not high xx,xxx you need to quote lower price, but the problem is that the damage has been done, if you now quote much lower price they will think that you are desperate! You should had done correct domain evaluation from beginning, others asked you to post the name as image you should have done that to get correct feedback!

Anyway try now to counter in mid xx,xxx and hope that back and forth negotiations will happen.

good luck

Don't worry. I think price quote is okay.
This company has plans for growth.
I will wait.
The fact that there aren't many extensions taken is not a concern. Not for this particular name.

Posting the name here is not a good idea.

Last edited:
•••
then you should use premium appraisals with comments on this thread, they'll give you good advises & right price

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back