Dynadot

question New company wants to buy my old domain name.

NameSilo
Watch

namexf

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys.
I am new to this.
I will try to simplify.
I own a .com domain name from many many years. Its been parked all this time.
Now a new company has contacted me and they want to buy it from me.
This company's name is the same as my domain name. And they have recently registered a local domain
with that name. But they are interested on buying the .com version (from me).
The key point is that I registered the domain name before this company even existed with this name.

Is there a risk that they could forcefully take it away from me if I try to negotiate a price that it is too high?

I am open to sell it but I would like to know how much can I ask.

Thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The potential buyer emailed me 4 days ago.
Should I contact him with my real name or it is better to stay anonymous?

Real name or not, just ask him to make an offer for you to consider or ask an experienced person on here to help you do the deal.

•••
Should I contact him with my real name or it is better to stay anonymous?

First step is to get them to make an offer...no need to break the veil of anonymity at this point.

btw, if someone has given you advice or input you find helpful, generally we all appreciate a 'like' or 'thanks' (I am insecure and need all the reassurance I can get!!!)

•••
You should let one of the experienced/trusted members here broker it for you - pay them 20%. I'm not inferring me - I'm new here. But, you need help.
That would be a good idea but then i would have to research the forum to pick one.

•••
You should let one of the experienced/trusted members here broker it for you - pay them 20%. I'm not inferring me - I'm new here. But, you need help.
That would be a good idea but then i would have to research the forum to pick one.
If the NP members following this thread could list the two people they trust the most (not themselves), that would help this person out. There should be some repeated names and he/she can pick one of those.

•••
If the NP members following this thread could list the two people they trust the most (not themselves), that would help this person out. There should be some repeated names and he/she can pick one of those.
Maybe even @Rob Monster and his team would assist?

Maybe @Joe Styler could put one of his top people on it?

Last edited:
•••
First step is to get them to make an offer...no need to break the veil of anonymity at this point.

btw, if someone has given you advice or input you find helpful, generally we all appreciate a 'like' or 'thanks' (I am insecure and need all the reassurance I can get!!!)
Where is the thanks button? I tried to find it but couldn't. Not in my mobile browser nor in my desktop browser. I do can see the number of thanks each message has got.

•••
Where is the thanks button? I tried to find it but couldn't. Not in my mobile browser nor in my desktop browser. I do can see the number of thanks each message has got.

They are usually in the lower right corner of a post...perhaps it is because you are a new member they are not showing yet (I assume they do this to keep 'haters' from blasting someone). The buttons should show up soon (maybe 3 or 7 days in?). At any rate, thanks for looking for them. :xf.smile:

•••
Maybe even @Rob Monster and his team would assist?

Maybe @Joe Styler could put one of his top people on it?

Calm down ... you guys seem very excited but I don' think I can even reach 5k with this name. Also I am not in the US and neither the potential buyer.

•••
They are usually in the lower right corner of a post...perhaps it is because you are a new member they are not showing yet (I assume they do this to keep 'haters' from blasting someone). The buttons should show up soon (maybe 3 or 7 days in?). At any rate, thanks for looking for them. :xf.smile:
Report Share Quote Reply.
These are the buttons I can see.
I assumed what you say. That new members don't have the right to place thanks.

•••
Calm down ... you guys seem very excited but I don' think I can even reach 5k with this name. Also I am not in the US and neither the potential buyer.
Bruh.... It's called getting shit done. You can't even find the "thanks" button - as you stated above. I'm thinking you have zero chance of getting this done and was trying to be helpful. Good luck.

Last edited:
•••
Bruh.... It's called getting sh*t done. You can't even find the "like" button. I'm thinking you have zero chance of getting this done and was trying to be helpful. Good luck.
Thank YOU.

•••
I assumed what you say. That new members don't have the right to place thanks.

No worries...once fully active you will see 'like' 'dislike' 'thank' 'quote' 'reply' in the bottom right corner.

Yep, keep the name out of the thread as bots from the engines will find and index...only post a name if you mask (ie: greenhappyhairymonsters.com) if you use a few lines like:

green-xy
happy-ab
hairy-pp
monsters-12
in king ('king' is code for com extension)

just for the record, I do not own the name used in the example above...not sure anyone does?!?!?

Last edited:
•••
No worries...once fully active you will see 'like' 'dislike' 'thank' 'quote' 'reply' in the bottom right corner.

Yep, keep the name out of the thread as bots from the engines will find and index...only post a name if you mask (ie: greenhappyhairymonsters.com) if you use a few lines like:

green-xy
happy-ab
hairy-pp
monsters-12
in king ('king' is code for com extension)

just for the record, I do not own the name used in the example above...not sure anyone does?!?!?

Ok. Once i get the thanks button i will use it for sure.
I have decided not to post the name as per john888 advice.
Now it is time to do my homework alone and research research research.

•••
Buyer needs your real name, real email to buy the name. Reply back within 7 days and say you are open to offers for domain name bla bla, Thank you, Regards "your real name". Or reply back and say you are on Christmas vacation and will get back to them in the new year, if you need time to come up with your sell price.

•••
Buyer needs your real name, real email to buy the name. Reply back within 7 days and say you are open to offers for domain name bla bla, Thank you, Regards "your real name". Or reply back and say you are on Christmas vacation and will get back to them in the new year, if you need time to come up with your sell price.

Thats the curious thing. My real name and email are not necessary for the transfer. My registrar acts as a middleman. I can remain anonymous all the time if I want.

•••
How do you expect to get payed for the transfer?

•••
Report Share Quote Reply.
These are the buttons I can see.

Bruh.... It's called getting sh*t done. You can't even find the "thanks" button

@Ja Kai , I think It is as @Mister Funsky , pointed out , the Like/Dislike/Thank buttons havn't appeared for @namexf yet.

@namexf, no one here has a reason to get excited except yourself. All are just trying to help you. imo it doesn't matter that you are not from US. NP has people from all over the world , not just US. And they are all in this domaining business, more or less.

•••
@Ja Kai , I think It is as @Mister Funsky , pointed out , the Like/Dislike/Thank buttons havn't appeared for @namexf yet.

@namexf, no one here has a reason to get excited except yourself. All are just trying to help you. imo it doesn't matter that you are not from US. NP has people from all over the world , not just US. And they are all in this domaining business, more or less.

Hey man. When I came to this forum i thought this was like most forums.
People posting for free and or for fun.
I didn't know that this was a professional forum where you are expected to hire forummers for brokerage.
If i had known it, maybe I had not even registered to the forum.
Maybe it was my fault for not having read the forum first.
Maybe the best thing to do is that i contact the potential buyer and tell him that i am not ready.
Then make my research. Read this forum. And then, when i learn how this forum works, i would possibly, calmly, hire a broker who i trust and like.

•••
My registrar acts as a middleman

Curious. So your registrar will act as your broker. Will they take a percentage of sales too?
Why don't you ask your registrar then to ask for offer price from the potential buyer on your behalf.
Seems you really don't need much help here after all.

•••
Hey man. When I came to this forum i thought this was like most forums.
People posting for free and or for fun.
I didn't know that this was a professional forum where you are expected to hire forummers for brokerage.

I think it was bit misunderstanding on people's part here. If it had been clear at the start that you are not here looking for a solution to a specific problem, but just for fun, this thread wouldn't have reached 3 pages.

You were advised to hire a broker because it seemed you were not able to handle the potential sale of your domain.

Anyways, all's well that ends well.
Have a nice day.

Last edited:
•••
How do you expect to get payed for the transfer?

The registrar gets the money from the buyer, takes a percentage commission, and the rest is transferred to me.
So i am basically selling the domain to the registrar and the registrar is selling it to the buyer.

•••
But "apple" is a generic word and it is also a registered trademark isn't it?
I am no legal expert, and whether generic words are allowed in trademarks depends on prior awarded trademarks and whether that word is already in general use in that area of application. I hope I am right in this example - probably one could not get a TM on Apple for selling apples, since for ages people have used it that way. However if I wanted Apple for financial services, that is different, provided one not already awarded in that.
Bob

•••
You don’t need a broker just email them back that you are open to offers in the XXXX range. Let them make an actual offer. If its such a geat match 2 to 5K is not unreasonable.

•••
I am no legal expert, and whether generic words are allowed in trademarks depends on prior awarded trademarks and whether that word is already in general use in that area of application. I hope I am right in this example - probably one could not get a TM on Apple for selling apples, since for ages people have used it that way. However if I wanted Apple for financial services, that is different, provided one not already awarded in that.
Bob

Yes, that makes sense.
But how about the word "intelligent" for a computer business?? Or for a school?? could not be trademarked?

•••
You don’t need a broker just email them back that you are open to offers in the XXXX range. Let them make an actual offer. If its such a geat match 2 to 5K is not unreasonable.

But in that case they will obviously choose the lower bottom of the range.
As it has been suggested in this thread, it is up to me to do a research and find out a fair figure. Then negotiate around that figure.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back