legal Net Neutrality Has Been Repealed!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I just read that...

F.C.C. Repeals Net Neutrality Rules
WASHINGTON — The Federal Communications Commission voted on Thursday to dismantle rules regulating the businesses that connect consumers to the internet, granting broadband companies the power to potentially reshape Americans’ online experiences.

The agency scrapped the so-called net neutrality regulations that prohibited broadband providers from blocking websites or charging for higher-quality service or certain content. The federal government will also no longer regulate high-speed internet delivery as if it were a utility, like phone service.

Full Story: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-vote.html

How will this change things?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@mr-x Because technology evolved and they saw by greatly reducing cost, they were able to gain millions of new customer to offset it and be competitive.. that has nothing to do with the threat of censorship by giving control of the internet to a select few.

Sorry...
Corporations don't typically censor. Governments do.

And that not me drawing a broad statement. That is pretty much fact.

I think you have been hyped into believing the hype.

You will be fine in a week, month, year, and more. And you won't suffer any censorship from that hands of corporations anymore than you have in the past.

Look forward to this thread coming back up in some time and people realizing their world didn't end.

•••
@Michael M

How bout this theory... Ok I'll appoint mr. Pai who used to work for Verizon to remove regulation so you can make more money. BUT you will assist in providing info on your users and censor some anti-government sentiment.

Verizon: Ok, deal

Sometimes gov't and big corporations work hand it hand and it's all a smokescreen.

•••
@Michael M

How bout this theory... Ok I'll appoint mr. Pai who used to work for Verizon to remove regulation so you can make more money. BUT you will assist in providing info on your users and censor some anti-government sentiment.

Verizon: Ok, deal

Sometimes gov't and big corporations work hand it hand and it's all a smokescreen.

Agreed on the last part of your statement. That is why I am AGAINST Net "Neutrality".

For the rest please refer to this post:

You're letting your emotions and fear get the better of you. Hoping for the situation you're arguing against.

Last edited:
•••
@mr-x
A stranger that gives candy to a kid might look like a positive thing, what a nice grandpa... the kid is happy he got a candy... but we all know where that could lead...

Cavities? Tooth Decay? What kind of Grandpa did you have?

Same with some positives of the ISP's ... they might seem harmless enough.. but give the a knife in their hands.. it's a different story.

Maybe a bit harsh.. but it's the world we live in.

My ISP's knife is in a tool-box. They use use it fix the fiber-optic line to my house when some jerk doesn't call before he digs.

•••
Agreed on the last part of your statement. That is why I am AGAINST Net "Neutrality".

For the rest please refer to this post:

That makes no sense... by the gov't passing anti net neutrality regulations.. they are doing a favor for the ISP's... for nothing in return???? being a bit naive?

•••
That makes no sense... by the gov't passing anti net neutrality regulations.. they are doing a favor for the ISP's... for nothing in return???? being a bit naive?
Not a favor for the ISPs. A favor to the big companies that are established

(NetFlix, Google, Facebook, etc)
^Answer to the extra credit question

•••
"You're letting your emotions and fear get the better of you. Hoping for the situation you're arguing against."

I don't let hype or fear do anything. I look at the reality of the world and behaviours. Thanks for the advice.

•••

FTC didn't pass any regulations, they removed regulations.

Last edited:
•••
@mr-x
1- Didn't say my Grandpa.. but thanks for the indirect insinuated insult.. Also called sarcasm.. you know what I really want to say...

2- second point about the toolbox is slightly funny

•••
Thanks @mr-x - I missed that part about passing an anti net neutrality regulation - or I would have called that out myself.

•••
FTC didn't pass any regulations, they removed regulations.
ok now you're being stupid... they had to vote to remove regulations.. stop being a douche

•••
why don't you both go suck on a lollypop and tell each other how great you are and sleep with a smile on your faces

•••
Back to work for me.. before my Internet is shut off. ( for not paying my bill )

•••
I don't let hype or fear do anything. I look at the reality of the world and behaviours. Thanks for the advice.

I believe all humans let hype and fear control plenty of things. We just have to try to be reasonable and realize what is hype and fear and what is real.

Obviously we have two different points of view and only time will tell who is right.

But from my point of view you and me are better off with this gone. Lets come back in a week and see how you are doing. Then maybe a month. Then 6 months. Then 1 year. We will see if I am wrong.

•••
hahhaha... after all this convo. I still don't hate you guys lol Life at Namepros lol

•••
why don't you both go suck on a lollypop and tell each other how great you are and sleep with a smile on your faces
Wow... I'm honestly trying to be civil. You are obviously mad.

Anger can control you too. :xf.wink:

•••
hahhaha... after all this convo. I still don't hate you guys lol Life at Namepros lol
Don't hate or even dislike you either, buddy.

•••
I just wrote before your post.. I don't hate you guys..

Some plans are hatched 10-20 years in advance by the way.

•••
I just wrote before your post.. I don't hate you guys..

Some plans are hatched 10-20 years in advance by the way.

Ok - December 15th, 2027 we meet back here and we can settle who was right. :xf.grin:

Then 2037 for a followup.

•••
ok now you're being stupid... they had to vote to remove regulations.. stop being a douche

I was being factual. Unlike the hysterics being promulgated elsewhere today.

•••
•••
I was being factual. Unlike the hysterics being promulgated elsewhere today.

Ok since technical vocabulary is of utmost importance.. not "new regulations", instead professor X I will type "new policies"

•••
Ok since technical vocabulary is of utmost importance.. not "new regulations", instead professor X I will type "new policies"

Half-credit.

•••
Or - to be more accurate - back to the way things were just a short time ago. :xf.smile:

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back