legal Net Neutrality Has Been Repealed!

NameSilo
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I just read that...

F.C.C. Repeals Net Neutrality Rules
WASHINGTON — The Federal Communications Commission voted on Thursday to dismantle rules regulating the businesses that connect consumers to the internet, granting broadband companies the power to potentially reshape Americans’ online experiences.

The agency scrapped the so-called net neutrality regulations that prohibited broadband providers from blocking websites or charging for higher-quality service or certain content. The federal government will also no longer regulate high-speed internet delivery as if it were a utility, like phone service.

Full Story: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-vote.html

How will this change things?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think this is what we should expect if the new policies of internet providers are negative :

1. Fall of new companies with presence in the network.
  2. Increase of sellers in Amazon and other sales platforms
  3. Increase of clients for services like wordpress, we can even see new domain extensions for shopify, wix, etc etc that they will have some preferential arrangement with the network providers.
  4. Fall of sales of domains to final buyers
I think 2018 -2020 is a year so do not rush into sales, wait for everything to return to normal, then we could see a boom on domain sales and prices.

....I hope I'm wrong

Last edited:
•••
LoL, we ain't seen nothing yet.

•••
Silliness guys... Pure ignorance and propaganda.

Net Neutrality only existed for a very short time, and did nothing except for make people think without it the world was going to end and NetFlix was going to be throttled.

You will not notice ANY difference minus Political stunts.

Your internet is fine, and is actually back to its original state - as intented.

The internet was free and neutral before net neutrality, and it is much free-er without it.

Keep screaming that the world is ending - but you know you are mad because of political beliefs and not logical ones... Or maybe you don't at this point.

None-the-less: Enjoy the Internet that the free market made - as you scream for the government to come in and save you from that free market. Sigh. :banghead:

•••
Silliness guys... Pure ignorance and propaganda.

Net Neutrality only existed for a very short time, and did nothing except for make people think without it the world was going to end and NetFlix was going to be throttled.

You will not notice ANY difference minus Political stunts.

Your internet is fine, and is actually back to its original state - as intented.

The internet was free and neutral before net neutrality, and it is much free-er without it.

Keep screaming that the world is ending - but you know you are mad because of political beliefs and not logical ones... Or maybe you don't at this point.

None-the-less: Enjoy the Internet that the free market made - as you scream for the government to come in and save you from that free market. Sigh. :banghead:

That is ingenuity, and for sure you do not understand how the network works

1. That before it was not done does not mean that it could be done in the future, especially after seeing the huge amount of data that Facebook, Youtube, Google etc etc... takes
  2. There is no legal protection to protect the client customer so If nothing can prevent companies from doing it, why they do not want to take profits from the traffic generated for example by Facebook ? - Tell me if you would not do it. if you say no, honestly, you're a very bad businessman.
  3. Why and how does the neutrality of the network prevent these companies from developing better? - YOU HAVE NO ANSWER

Health laws exist for the preparation of food, but hey, there is this McDonals using palm oil, which is bad for health, but as there is no legislation that prevents this, McDonals makes more money.

Last edited:
•••
That is ingenuity...
Health laws exist for the preparation of food, but hey, there is this McDonals using palm oil, which is bad for health, but as there is no legislation that prevents this, McDonals makes more money.

And a million other things can be done by someone or a company that could upset you or harm you - but that does not mean 400 pages of a "law" which never passed through congress needs to be enacted.

There are existing laws and litigation to protect you and provide you with a means of protecting yourself. Those avenues should be used first or every single breath you take would be regulated under your logic.

•••
And a million other things can be done by someone or a company that could upset you or harm you - but that does not mean 400 pages of a "law" which never passed through congress needs to be enacted.

There are existing laws and litigation to protect you and provide you with a means of protecting yourself. Those avenues should be used first or every single breath you take would be regulated under your logic.

Why and how does the neutrality of the network prevent these companies from developing better? - YOU HAVE NO ANSWER

•••
Why and how does the neutrality of the network prevent these companies from developing better? - YOU HAVE NO ANSWER
Why or how does it help these companies develop better to have it? IT DOESN'T
How did the internet become what it is now without it - and thrive?
How did this "law" actually help you. It didn't. You don't know other than replying "THROTTLING!"

Just because a subject can have a good talking point - does not null that fact that subject may be already covered by other law and is un-needed and has the possibility of hurting an industry...

But I can never win this argument with people who believe everything should be regulated. But I should be allowed to express my view, regardless.

I want to add - if you want this law, we should pass it the right way - through congress.

Last edited:
•••
How did this "law" actually help you. It didn't. You don't know other than replying "THROTTLING!"

It has helped us in exactly this :

It has prevented cable providers from monopolizing traffic and fragmenting the collection of their services to more than the internet, but to what we see.

Just because a subject can have a good talking point - does not null that fact that subject may be already covered by other law and is un-needed and has the possibility of hurting an industry...

Then the section in each term of use of all the websites of the network that says something like :

You will not do anything that could damage the integrity of the site

It's a waste of time? - I mean, you are telling a user not to do something, when he has not done it yet

•••
It has helped us in exactly this :

It has prevented cable providers from monopolizing traffic and fragmenting the collection of their services to more than the internet, but to what we see.

Then the section in each term of use of all the websites of the network that says something like :

You will not do anything that could damage the integrity of the site

It's a waste of time? - I mean, you are telling a user not to do something, when he has not done it yet

Food for thought:
Who built the internet pipelines that you want to be neutral?
Should someone/a company who is using all of another company's "pipeline" have that right and pay no more than someone who uses 1/1000000 of that amount?
Why do the big companies that have already solidified their position in the industry support it? (hint: It isn't to help the new startup company)

•••
May your sites be slowed and your intelligence quickened.

Rebel without a cause.

Total bs. This will eventually make the Internet suck. All traffic will be tolled. All sites will be in perpetual nanny-state, subject to anyone's complaint. Like the political-correctness fervor taking over.

If it is no longer regulated, to whom will the ISPs be accountable? Who to turn to if they screw up on a decision?

Who do you complain to now? Large companies like Google, Facebook and Twitter already censor the Internet. If you have a complaint about them, you go to the FTC.

You're imagined drama is what happens when uncountable bureaucrats get to make rules that favor some businesses over others. NN was an advantage for mega-corporations.

Last edited:
•••
Why do the big companies that have already solidified their position in the industry support it? (hint: It isn't to help the new startup company)

What are you talking about ?

Who supports Net Neutrality?

Google, Yahoo!, Amazon.com, Earthlink, eBay, Intel, Microsoft, Skype, Vonage

•••
What are you talking about ?

Who supports Net Neutrality?

Google, Yahoo!, Amazon.com, Earthlink, eBay, Intel, Microsoft, Skype, Vonage

Exxxactly!

Yet it is championed to support the small guy. That should seem odd to you, if you were the thinking type...

•••
Exxxactly!

Yet it is championed to support the small guy. That should seem odd to you, if you were the thinking type...

Where is it written that in the actual situation ?

•••
Rebel without a cause.

Who do you complain to now? Large companies like Google, Facebook and Twitter already censor the Internet. If you have a complaint about them, you go to the FTC.

You're imagined drama is what happens when uncountable bureaucrats get to make rules that favor some businesses over others. NN was an advantage for mega-corporations.
Sorry, if you think the Google, Twits and Faceplants control the net, then there is no hope. These are not the people you complain to, they are merely huge platforms for enjoying the net.

Imagined?

Hardly. Trust me, ISP's are the last people you want having control.

•••
Exxxactly!

However, what you say, is precisely a network without neutrality

- We're fine as long as you're small and do not mess with my interests

Last edited:
•••
Where is it written that in the actual situation ?
I'd doubt it is written... I mean come on... Use simple reasoning and deduce. Everyone including companies are self interested - so don't fool yourself into the "better good" mindset. If the big companies support it - they do so thinking it will benefit THEM.

But I imagine it could be somewhere in the 399.5 pages that don't have to do with throttling - which is the only topic discussed. Why does this need to be 400 pages by the way? Couldn't 1 simple page do it? I may could get on board with that.

This argument comes down to people WANT the government to have control of the Internet. Period. That is what they want, and that is all that matters. Talking points are strong right now, substance to their arugment is weak.

•••
I'd doubt it is written... I mean come on... Use simple reasoning and deduce. Everyone including companies are self interested - so don't fool yourself into the "better good" mindset. If the big companies support it - they do so thinking it will benefit THEM.

But I imagine it could be somewhere in the 399.5 pages that don't have to do with throttling - which is the only topic discussed. Why does this need to be 400 pages by the way? Couldn't 1 simple page do it? I may could get on board with that.

This argument comes down to people WANT the government to have control of the Internet. Period. That is what they want, and that is all that matters. Talking points are strong right now, substance to their arugment is weak.

But the government does not have control of the internet, it is simply an intermediation to prevent the interests of the companies and prevail that consumer

•••
Sorry, if you think the Google, Twits and Faceplants control the net, then there is no hope. These are not the people you complain to, they are merely huge platforms for enjoying the net.

Imagined?

Hardly. Trust me, ISP's are the last people you want having control.

You children should read what happened to the Bell Telephone System. Under neutrality there was ONE phone company in the USA.

Bill Gates resigned from CEO of Microsoft, the largest tech company in the world for anti-competitive business practices after the FTC and DOJ sued MS.

There will be problems, some companies will cheat but competitors will take advantage and offer better alternatives.

Last edited:
•••
Ashland Fiber Network
Ashland's community owned telecommunications utility
https://www.ashlandfiber.net/

If you don't like your ISP, start your own.

•••
These mergers will create huge conflicts of interest, because companies that own access to the internet will be tempted to rig it in favor of their own shows and services. Some of these schemes will show up on an internet bill, while others will be decided in backroom corporate warfare that leaves customers stuck in the middle and in the dark. The next Comcast versus Netflix might be Comcast versus Disney.

So let’s talk about Disney. Combined with Fox, it now has massive leverage over the content industry. It can use that leverage to compete with Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon, because, like Disney, those ISPs are trying to sell people their own video services. Because Disney now owns so much content, other media companies have greater incentive to consolidate to improve their bargaining positions. And ISPs have greater incentive to merge with media companies so they can reap profit from the content that travels on their networks. It’s an escalating cycle of consolidation.

Here are some obvious conflicts that have already resulted from the Disney merger:

• Disney now has a controlling stake in Hulu
  • Hulu was jointly owned by Disney (30%), Fox (30%), Comcast (30%) and Time Warner(10%) to compete with YouTube; now Disney owns more than both Comcast and Time Warner combined
  • Comcast owns NBCUniversal, which broadcasts shows on Hulu
  • Time Warner is about to be owned by AT&T, which is a competitor of Comcast
  • Time Warner is a competitor of both NBC and Disney
  • Comcast and AT&T control the network that people use to watch content from Disney, Time Warner, and NBC
  • (This is just a fun place to put this disclosure: Comcast’s NBCU division is a minority investor in Vox Media, which owns The Verge.)
https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/14...disney-comcast-internet-providers-free-speech

•••
•••
Why not just remove the bureaucracy regarding nuclear weapons... so much red tape.

The internet is no longer a random luxury... it's a must for millions if not billions of people to operate their businesses.

•••
•••
Why not just remove the bureaucracy regarding nuclear weapons... so much red tape.

The internet is no longer a random luxury... it's a must for millions if not billions of people to operate their businesses.

How many companies own nuclear weapons? When was the last time a fiber optic cable over heated and caused a natural disaster?

Last edited:
•••
The internet is the nuclear weapon of business in today's world. They can do more damage and create uprisings within countries through the internet than any weapon.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back