legal Net Neutrality Has Been Repealed!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I just read that...

F.C.C. Repeals Net Neutrality Rules
WASHINGTON — The Federal Communications Commission voted on Thursday to dismantle rules regulating the businesses that connect consumers to the internet, granting broadband companies the power to potentially reshape Americans’ online experiences.

The agency scrapped the so-called net neutrality regulations that prohibited broadband providers from blocking websites or charging for higher-quality service or certain content. The federal government will also no longer regulate high-speed internet delivery as if it were a utility, like phone service.

Full Story: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-vote.html

How will this change things?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
The internet is the nuclear weapon of business in today's world. They can do more damage and create uprisings within countries through the internet than any weapon.

True..

•••
How many companies own nuclear weapons? When was the last time a fiber optic cable over heated and caused a natural disaster?

It's not a typical natural disaster that's the worry, it's the disruption of the business eco-system as a whole.

•••
The internet is the nuclear weapon of business in today's world. They can do more damage and create uprisings within countries through the internet than any weapon.

So you support Government censorship of the Internet?

•••
•••
It's not a typical natural disaster that's the worry, it's the disruption of the business eco-system as a whole.

Thanks for making my point about how stupid it is to compare the Internet to Nuclear Weapons.

•••
@mr-x... what's so difficult to understand?? You're being stupid for not understanding and being so closed minded... for God's sake.. it's like arguing with a wall... I'm done with this.

Net Neutrality is a concept that gives a level playing field with no favoritism...... doesn't stifle innovation and increases the competition among new businesses and existing ones...

If anything the internet was developed by the US Army.... so to even say gov't should have nothing to do with it is ridiculous to start with.

Last edited:
•••
Just another example of lobbyists screwing up this country.

•••
Net Neutrality as it existed needed to go.

You don't have to believe or trust me... But I mean this even for every single one of you who thinks they want it - you don't. You are better off without it.

I will do my best to stay strong and oppose the FCC's "Net Neutrality" "law" - in the internet and your best interest.

I think the majority of the vitriol about this is politically driven with very little rationale behind it. The people who are politically driven are most likely too blind to realize this - therefore there is no room for true constructive conversation here.

•••
- tell me where the censorship is ???

Comparing the Internet to a nuclear weapon while arguing everyone should have one.

Screenshot-2017-12-15 Net Neutrality Has Been Repealed .png

Last edited:
•••
THE ANALOGY WAS THAT SOMETHING THAT CAN IMPACT BILLIONS OF PEOPLE SHOULD BE REGULATED AND NOT LET FREELY IN THE HANDS OF CORPORATE INTERESTS. The comment about nuclear weapons was SARCASM!

•••
Why don't you tell me? You're comparing the Internet to a nuclear weapon while arguing everyone should have one.

Show attachment 75402

The bombs have been launched since always after the flow of communications between nations. Today we have billions of data running from one place to another between real people that increasingly determine whether or not that bombs is used, So, draw your own conclusions, - what is the trigger ??

•••
THE ANALOGY WAS THAT SOMETHING THAT CAN IMPACT BILLIONS OF PEOPLE SHOULD BE REGULATED AND NOT LET FREELY IN THE HANDS OF CORPORATE INTERESTS.

Typical debate of people/corporations versus government. Who is better suited to decide something?

I could enjoy a conversation about this that was substantive, but I don't imagine that is possible.

Either way - rather you want to realize it or not - that company built that pipeline that your data is going through. I'd say they should have some right to complain when something clogs that pipeline. But that is my point of view, and you will have yours.

Either way companies built the internet and made it what it is. The government did not. So people who say it is the end of the internet because this regulation, that did very little to this point, is gone - are crazy.

And this law wasn't a law, but a regulation imposed by the FCC.

If you want Net Neutrality, stand up, call your congressman, and make it a law. That's how it works in America. (or is supposed to)

Last edited:
•••
Haha... You guys literally went nuclear with your rhetoric. (y):cigar:

Too funny.

•••
@mr-x... what's so difficult to understand?? You're being stupid for not understanding and being so closed minded... for God's sake.. it's like arguing with a wall... I'm done with this.

Net Neutrality is a concept that gives a level playing field with no favoritism...... doesn't stifle innovation and increases the competition among new businesses and existing ones...

If anything the internet was developed by the US Army.... so to even say gov't should have nothing to do with it is ridiculous to start with.

Gov didn't lay fiber optic cable to my house.

•••
@Michael M
Man, forum debates on namepros have become worse than youtube comments... There is nothing TYPICAL about it as the internet is not a TYPICAL resource / commodity.

I am NOT for government meddling in all affairs, but some sectors of industry that heavily impact everyone's lives on a daily basis and serves more and more as people's bread and better need some proper oversight.

The "typical" part about this is closed minded people like you who bundle everything together and say if someone is for some gov't oversight on certain topics, that that person is for Gov't oversight everywhere ...

•••
The bombs have been launched since always after the flow of communications between nations. Today we have billions of data running from one place to another between real people that increasingly determine whether or not that bombs is used, So, draw your own conclusions, - what is the trigger ??

Hmm.. sound like a great argument to destroy the Internet.

•••
@mr-x
@Michael M

I hope one day you do something that happens to be against what the ISP decided is their new policy... might not happen today, but I hope it does. The small mindedness is incredible....

•••
@Michael M
Man, forum debates on namepros have become worse than youtube comments... There is nothing TYPICAL about it as the internet is not a TYPICAL resource / commodity.

I am NOT for government meddling in all affairs, but some sectors of industry that heavily impact everyone's lives on a daily basis and serves more and more as people's bread and better need some proper oversight.

The "typical" part about this is closed minded people like you who bundle everything together and say if someone is for some gov't oversight on certain topics, that that person is for Gov't oversight everywhere ...
How has your internet been any different in the last couple of years?

How has your internet been different in the last day?

Who has created all the infrastructure and how do they get compensated?

This isn't a matter of me bundling anything together.

•••
You said
Typical debate of people/corporations versus government. Who is better suited to decide something?

When you say typical, it implies all the conversation of people vs corporations.. hence typical. Usually I'm not for heavy regulations.. in this case , some regulations.. yes

•••
Although domains have been around for a while now, the actual Internet itself is in a sense still being pioneered. This decision takes it in the wrong direction. Phone companies are powerful corporations, with one interest: profit and control.

It's ok, everything will be fine. Maybe ISPs can start selling domains too.

•••
Why could the regulation not be one page?

What do the other 399 pages do?

Why does Google support it if it is for the little guy.

(extra credit: who wrote it?)

•••
@mr-x
@Michael M

I hope one day you do something that happens to be against what the ISP decided is their new policy... might not happen today, but I hope it does.

You're letting your emotions and fear get the better of you. Hoping for the situation you're arguing against.

Last edited:
•••
You said

When you say typical, it implies all the conversation of people vs corporations.. hence typical. Usually I'm not for heavy regulations.. in this case , some regulations.. yes
That was a direct reply to your post. I was saying you were boxing it into that argument by your statement.

•••
@mr-x Because technology evolved and they saw by greatly reducing cost, they were able to gain millions of new customers to offset it and be competitive.. that has nothing to do with the threat of censorship by giving control of the internet to a select few.

A stranger that gives candy to a kid might look like a positive thing, what a nice grandpa... the kid is happy he got a candy... but we all know where that could lead... Same with some positives of the ISP's ... they might seem harmless enough.. but give them a knife in their hands.. it's a different story.

Maybe a bit harsh.. but it's the world we live in.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back