IT.COM

Network Neutrality and How it affects you as a Website/Domain Owner.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality

Network neutrality is a contemporary controversy in the United States regarding the role that government should take relative to Internet access providers providing multiple levels of service for different fees.

http://www.savetheinternet.com/=faq#what

This is about Internet freedom. "Network Neutrality" -- the First Amendment of the Internet -- ensures that the public can view the smallest blog just as easily as the largest corporate Web site by preventing Internet companies like AT&T from rigging the playing field for only the highest-paying sites.

But Internet providers like AT&T, Verizon and Comcast are spending millions of dollars lobbying Congress to gut Net Neutrality. If Congress doesn't take action now to implement meaningful Net Neutrality provisions, the future of the Internet is at risk.

What am I talk about? Big and Small ISP companies are in the process of creating US laws that would hinder the bandwidth to websites that don't pay fee's to them. They will redirect traffic to your websites to websites that paid them the most. They will remove your advertisments on your websites and replace them with thier advertisements, if you don't pay fee's to them. They don't have to be your ISP, your Hosting provider, they are your customers/vistors ISP/ the way to your vistiors get to your website and if you don't pay them a Fee's, they will hinder your visitor to your website. Think all those AOL visitors, all those ComCast visitors, all those AT&T visitors, plus thousands of other ISP's your visitors use. If you don't pay each of those ISP's fee's they will do what was said above.

Who wants to get rid of Net Neutrality? said:
The nation's largest telephone and cable companies — including AT&T, Verizon, Comcast and Time Warner — want to be Internet gatekeepers, deciding which Web sites go fast or slow and which won't load at all.

They want to tax content providers to guarantee speedy delivery of their data. They want to discriminate in favor of their own search engines, Internet phone services, and streaming video — while slowing down or blocking their competitors.

These companies have a new vision for the Internet. Instead of an even playing field, they want to reserve express lanes for their own content and services — or those from big corporations that can afford the steep tolls — and leave the rest of us on a winding dirt road.

Why is it important you speak for Network Neutrality?

We are already pay hosting fee, isp fee's, and licensing fee's. Those bigger companies that own the datalines (fiber optic datalines) that our websites run upon want to charge you for that right. Those big ISP that your customers/visitors use, they want to charge you for the right to have them come to your website. If you don't pay then they don't care and will redirect, slow your website down to a crawl, and generally screw you over.

William L. Smith, chief technology officer for Atlanta-based BellSouth Corp., told reporters and analysts that an Internet service provider such as his firm should be able, for example, to charge Yahoo Inc. for the opportunity to have its search site load faster than that of Google Inc.

He's not alone. Ed Whitacre of AT&T told Business Week last fall:

Now what they would like to do is use my pipes free, but I ain't going to let them do that because we have spent this capital and we have to have a return on it. So there's going to have to be some mechanism for these people who use these pipes to pay for the portion they're using. Why should they be allowed to use my pipes?

Posted by Jake on Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 15:13:54

It's Our Net Coalition member Art Brodsky explains what is really behind the FCC "inquiry" on Net Neutraility. It is not good.

Here's Art, writing at the TPM Cafe:

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is planning in the next couple of weeks to begin an inquiry into Net Neutrality. On the surface, that might appear to be an enlightened, even noble, action for the agency to take.

It’s not. Beneath the surface, the reality is that FCC Chairman Kevin Martin’s planned Notice of Inquiry on Net Neutrality is an audacious triple play with the goals of greasing the largest telecom merger in history, relieving pressure on a key piece of legislation, and burying the Net Neutrality concept for good. ...

[FCC Chairman] Martin’s actions should be seen as dodge they really are. [FCC Commisioners] Copps and Adelstein should insist on strong non-discrimination language as part of the AT&T takeover of BellSouth. They should either dissent to the bogus Notice of Inquiry or, at the least, point out the reality of the situation. And the telecom legislation should be allowed to expire. Then, perhaps next year, a serious discussion about protecting the open Internet can take place.

I am not US based and/or I don't live in the united states this does not affect me!

Yes, it does affect you too. Why cause this is going to be on the ISP level too. Meaning all the US traffic that you get to your websites will be affected. Thus, you will be affected too.

What can you do? Act now to save the way it is now.

http://www.savetheinternet.com/=act

So, are you for or against Network Neutrality?

What can you do to stop the law's being pass that grants rights to charge these fee's and change the way of the internet?

Yes, it has been talked about here before, but it is still a active topic and affects all website owners. This is why I am bring it up again.

http://www.namepros.com/industry-news/217289-effects-gated-internet-small-business-web.html
http://www.namepros.com/dot-tv/219429-iptv-articles.html
http://www.namepros.com/industry-news/186834-google-ebay-and-amazon-t-suck.html

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back