IT.COM

Need Help On Selling Site

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Chet Dembeck

Established Member
Impact
I'm a beginner at selling domains and Web sites. However, I am a copywriter and do some intermediate WordPress design.

I purchased several domain names recently that are in financial niches. One of them is:

1clickmortgage.com

It dates back to 2004-02-29.

Built Starter Site

Rather than try and flip it, I developed this site over the last month by writing 22, original, mortgage loans and house selling articles. They are focused on First Time Homeowners, Second Mortgages and Reverse Mortgage. Also, sprucing up your house for best appraisal and sale.

They are all indexed in Google, Bing and Yahoo.

I currently get a few search hits. I tried buying a few ads with Facebook and it generated $35 in ad revenue from Media.net, which has approved the site and wants more of the same.

My Questions

After you look at the site, 1clickmortgage.com, can you tell me if you think it has any value? Not looking for a lot, but looking to get back the cost of time invested and a few dollars profit.

I will include the rights of all 22 articles, the domain name, plus, I am willing to either host the site for buyer, or transfer it to your hosting. You would have to transfer the Media.net, or use other ads or affiliates.

Developing More

I plan on developing more, if I find this is a model where I can at least make back my initial investment in time and domain costs.

If I am on the wrong track, or out of line here, please let me know.

Any feedback you can get me would be most appreciated.

Cordially,

CED

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think developing websites for making a decent profit only works if you take a longer view and build a lot of traffic and profits. Anything short of that you are in the world of selling "starter sites" - of which there are tons on Flippa.

In my book, Buy and Sell Domain Names for Profit, I cover website development ... here is a quote regarding starter sites:

The challenge in selling developed websites is in what profit you can attain. For instance, if you create a starter website for a domain name (a starter site means there won’t be any developed traffic or sales/ad revenue/profit yet), then when you try to sell it you will need a certain amount from your final sale to make a profit. Let’s say you sell your new, starter website for $100. Well, your costs so far are: let’s say $10 for the domain name registration, $5/month for website hosting, at 2 months (one to develop and get the site started, and one while you are selling the site), so that’s $10. (You could get your hosting costs for less per website if you use cPanel and have multiple websites going at once.) Then, it might cost you $29 to list your website for sale on one of the popular website sales marketplaces.

Upon sale, the marketplace might take a 15% cut of the sales price for their commission if the buyer uses PayPal, so we’ll use $15 in this example. So $100 for the sales price, minus $10 for the domain, minus $10 for hosting, minus the $29 listing fee, minus $15 for the marketplace commission leaves you with $36 in profit! In the end, that’s not a lot of money for all of the effort you put in developing the website, promoting its sale, then all of the time it takes to get it transferred to the buyer.

•••
1) the design is very weak, make sure to buy a premium Wordpress Theme, it's will on cost you around $30.
2) and put your name in the author name instead of your email.
3) apply for google adsense ( Because the CPC is very high in the category of 'mortgage' )

Last edited:
•••
I think developing websites for making a decent profit only works if you take a longer view and build a lot of traffic and profits. Anything short of that you are in the world of selling "starter sites" - of which there are tons on Flippa.

In my book, Buy and Sell Domain Names for Profit, I cover website development ... here is a quote regarding starter sites:

The challenge in selling developed websites is in what profit you can attain. For instance, if you create a starter website for a domain name (a starter site means there won’t be any developed traffic or sales/ad revenue/profit yet), then when you try to sell it you will need a certain amount from your final sale to make a profit. Let’s say you sell your new, starter website for $100. Well, your costs so far are: let’s say $10 for the domain name registration, $5/month for website hosting, at 2 months (one to develop and get the site started, and one while you are selling the site), so that’s $10. (You could get your hosting costs for less per website if you use cPanel and have multiple websites going at once.) Then, it might cost you $29 to list your website for sale on one of the popular website sales marketplaces.

Upon sale, the marketplace might take a 15% cut of the sales price for their commission if the buyer uses PayPal, so we’ll use $15 in this example. So $100 for the sales price, minus $10 for the domain, minus $10 for hosting, minus the $29 listing fee, minus $15 for the marketplace commission leaves you with $36 in profit! In the end, that’s not a lot of money for all of the effort you put in developing the website, promoting its sale, then all of the time it takes to get it transferred to the buyer.
Thanks. You make a lot of sense.

•••
1) the design is very weak, make sure to buy a premium Wordpress Theme, it's will on cost you around $30.
2) and put your name in the author name instead of your email.
3) apply for google adsense

Thanks for feedback.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back