IT.COM

Need help GoDaddy Auction won, paid and the domain is not mine!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lovedomains

Established Member
Impact
Hi, to all. I need some help on this.

A week ago I won an auction on Godaddy. Got a e-mail that my offer was the highest and paid for it.
In the meanwhile found a person that was interested in acquiring it from me.

This morning checking my panel I just saw that the domain is below the not won auction.
Is there any legal action I may take?

What shall I do?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If this was a close out that happens all the time and it’s perfectly legal. How would anybody know you were about to own a domain that you didn’t yet own?Ever hear that phase don’t count your chickens before they are hatched? Don’t sell or list a domain not in your possession.

•••
it wasn't a closeout it was a auction btw imho is a crazy way to manage this even because after a week they still have my money on their side.

•••
Nothing you can do - it's clearly stated in their TOS.

Not nice when it happens - I've had it on many occasions. Don't dwell, just move on.

•••
You made an offer?
So someone accepted your offer?
You bid on auctions, you do not offer. So I'm a little confused.

•••
Write or call GoDaddy to get that refund. Sounds like the person who owns the domain backed out or who knows might not even own it anymore. There are outdated listings on GD that people forget to delete. Either way you just need to put it behind you after contacting GD for refund. I never consider something mine until it is actually in my account. The very first auction I won the losing owner paid up at the last minute. It happens.

•••
Seems there's a little confusion over what type of auction this was. I'm assuming it was an expiring auction. Expiring auctions go to Closeout if no one makes a bid within the auction timeframe. However, the ability of the previous registrant to renew/transfer the domain is still there regardless of whether it's Expiring or moved to Closeout.

If, on the other hand, this was a third party auction then the seller should have transferred to buyer, and will likely get his/her account banned or penalized. But I have never seen the domain moved to Didn't Win list in this case.

The bidder who lost out will always be made good through a refund from Godaddy, but there'e not a lot else you can do if this happens to you as the bidder.

FWIW I transferred 8 domains out of GD last week which I had forgotten to renew and were at auction. I only realized I never renewed them when one appeared on DSAD's auction list. So the intent when this occurs isn't always one of malice. Not nice when your Won auction turns to Didn't Win, but like I said - you just move on and look for more names.

Also, never try to sell a name not in your account, and never assume a sale is done until money is in your bank.

•••
But I have never seen the domain moved to Didn't Win list in this case.
I think this happens when you are the highest bidder but the auction has a reserve?

•••
I think this happens when you are the highest bidder but the auction has a reserve?
Yep, I believe you're right, but for expiring auctions (and by extension, Closeouts) there is never a reserve.

•••
Yep, I believe you're right, but for expiring auctions (and by extension, Closeouts) there is never a reserve.
Yup that's true. But since there wasn't a mention of a closeout or expired auction, I assumed it was a private seller auction

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back