IT.COM

GoDaddy Domain Won, Paid and Debited For, Now In Redemption Period?

NameSilo
Watch
Hello Everyone,

What I am about to share is something I have never seen or heard of since I started using Godaddy.

I paid for this domain name as seen in the attached screenshot last week. I was debited for it and also received a payment confirmation email from Godaddy. Then a few days later, the domain name was completed and pushed to my account at which point I changed the name server.

As I write this, I discovered quite shockingly that the domain name is now in a redemption period. How is this possible and who are the people behind this kind of unbelievable error at Godaddy?

Godaddy usually charges renewal fees for all domain names won. This means that after debiting me, the domain name was never renewed.

Attachments

• won.jpg
    won.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 132
  • won2.jpg
    won2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 127
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello Everyone,

What I am about to share is something I have never seen or heard of since I started using Godaddy.

I paid for this domain name as seen in the attached screenshot last week. I was debited for it and also received a payment confirmation email from Godaddy. Then a few days later, the domain name was completed and pushed to my account at which point I changed the name server.

As I write this, I discovered quite shockingly that the domain name is now in a redemption period. How is this possible and who are the people behind this kind of unbelievable error at Godaddy?

Godaddy usually charges renewal fees for all domain names won. This means that after debiting me, the domain name was never renewed.
It looks like GoDaddy took payment for the expired domain + renewal fee, but then never applied the renewal.

Domain Name: TAMPAHOUSEBUYERS.COM
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Updated Date: 2023-12-03T00:11:38Z
Creation Date: 2011-10-19T22:00:21Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2023-10-19T22:00:21Z
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: 480-624-2505
Domain Status: redemptionPeriod

I have never seen that before.

Can you check on this? @GoDaddy @James Iles

Brad

Last edited:
•••
It looks like GoDaddy took payment for the expired domain + renewal fee, but then never applied the renewal fee.

I have never seen that before.

Can you check on this? @GoDaddy @James Iles

Brad
Initially, I thought my eyes were deceiving me. I had to copy the domain name from the email I got from Godaddy and paste it on whois.com to be sure and truly, it is what is.

Can this be reversed?

•••
Initially, I thought my eyes were deceiving me. I had to copy the domain name from the email I got from Godaddy and paste it on whois.com to be sure and truly, it is what is.

Can this be reversed?
It should be able to be fixed. Domains in redemptionperiod can be renewed, usually for an added fee.

In this case if the error is on GoDaddy's end, they should clearly cover any cost to fix it.

Brad

•••
It should be able to be fixed. Domains in redemptionperiod can be renewed, usually for an added fee.

In this case if the error is on GoDaddy's end, they should clearly cover any cost to fix it.

Brad
It was a closeout auction where I got it last week. It was also in my account briefly before it was removed.

•••
It was also in my account briefly before it was removed.

In that case, it seems likely it was recovered by the previous owner.

Unfortunately.

Last edited:
•••
In that case, it seems likely it was recovered by the previous owner.

Unfortunately.
Wrong. It was not renewed by previous owner. You can check whois. If it was renewed by previous owner, it won’t be in redemption period and besides, I had paid for it

•••
If it was renewed by previous owner, it won’t be in redemption period and besides, I had paid for it

ok, I wish you the best

•••
Hi @jideofor, we'll look into this, and our team will provide you with more information as soon as we can.

Thanks for reporting, and thanks to @bmugford for tagging us.

•••
Hi @jideofor, we'll look into this, and our team will provide you with more information as soon as we can.

Thank you. I sent an email to auctions[@]Godaddy.com and no response from them till this moment. It is three days since I did that.

•••
Thank you. I sent an email to auctions[@]Godaddy.com and no response from them till this moment. It is three days since I did that.
This doesn't really seem like a difficult situation to solve at first glance.

The biggest question is what happened here.

Is it a potential systemic issue that involved other domains, or an isolated issue?

If you own many domains you might not even notice the missing domain.

Brad

•••
This doesn't really seem like a difficult situation to solve at first glance.

The biggest question is what happened here.

Is it a potential systemic issue that involved other domains, or an isolated issue?

If you own many domains you might not even notice the missing domain.

Brad
Here is how I found out.

I used Dan's name server for the domain as soon as I got the "Order Completion" email. That means the domain name is now in my account.

It sold some days later but upon checking the payout, I discovered I was charged 25% instead of the standard 15% because it was Dan's name server I had on it. And that was weird.

Out of curiosity, decided to check Whois.com, and my eyes saw something that I never believed would happen: The domain is in the Redemption Period and the change happened on the 3rd of December, 2023.

Initially, I thought my eyes were deceiving me and I had to copy the domain name from Godaddy's email and paste it into Whois.com to be sure it was not a typo from me. It wasn't a typo as I found out.

Never seen this before since I started using Godaddy and there was no official email from them to notify me of any error I committed, the card was charged for the transaction according to the transaction alert that I received and there is no notification of a refund either. This means money left the card used to make the payment and if there was any issue, it hasn't been refunded.

Last edited:
•••

Any update on this @GoDaddy?

I can see the domain is still in redemptionperiod status.

It's a concern if whatever happened here might not be just some isolated issue.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Any update on this @GoDaddy?

I can see the domain is still in redemptionperiod status.

It's a concern if whatever happened here might not be just some isolated issue.

Brad
Thanks. Afternic replied to me after I had informed them about the development as they would expect me to transfer the domain name to the buyer.

They referred me to auctions team, which I had done more than three days ago and while everyone have replied, auctions team haven’t responded.

Also there was no official email from Godaddy informing of what happened or whether there was a problem from my end.

This is so unbelievable.

•••
Thanks @bmugford and @jideofor, our team is still taking a look at this one. We will report back as soon as we have more information.

•••
So I just received a new email from auctions today and it seems there is a reversal of the transaction.

Firstly, it seems there is a reversal and the new email for payment is seen in the attached image

ta1.jpg

•••
Then some minutes ago, they sent me this...

ta2.jpg

•••
So I just received a new email from auctions today and it seems there is a reversal of the transaction.

Firstly, it seems there is a reversal and the new email for payment is seen in the attached image

Show attachment 250185
The domain is still listed in redemptionPeriod.

I hope @GoDaddy can explain what happened here.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The domain is still listed in redemptionPeriod.

I hope @GoDaddy can explain what happened here.

Brad
I don't know. They still haven't said anything for almost a week now.

•••
It is very painful.
4 months ago it happened with me.
RSSO.com
I won the Godaddy auction and I have paid , I got domain in my account 7 days after paid .
I have changed name server also.
10 days after got the domain, Godaddy sent me email that it was an error by Godaddy for that removed this domain from my account and they refund me.
we not accepted from Godaddy.

•••
It is very painful.
4 months ago it happened with me.
RSSO.com
I won the Godaddy auction and I have paid , I got domain in my account 7 days after paid .
I have changed name server also.
10 days after got the domain, Godaddy sent me email that it was an error by Godaddy for that removed this domain from my account and they refund me.
we not accepted from Godaddy.
Wow… I was beginning to think there is an issue.

Did they tell you why it happened other than “error”?

•••
Wow… I was beginning to think there is an issue.

Did they tell you why it happened other than “error”?

They told me, these domain was renewed by previous owner before expire.

•••
They told me, these domain was renewed by previous owner before expire.
I see but this one is still in redemption period.

•••
I just checked the domain name and it has been renewed.

I quickly checked my account and the domain name is showing in my account again.

taa.jpg

Last edited:
•••
I got an email that the domain name has been removed from my account as seen below

rem.jpg

but I logged in to see that the domain name is still there in my account.

@GoDaddy can I proceed and claim ownership or the domain name will be removed from my account again? Please clarify. I don't understand how an email says the domain name has been removed from my account and it is still there.

Or is this a case of an earlier scheduled email just making it to my account inbox today?

I am confused still.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back