Domain Empire

question-answered Nameservers??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

silberman

Upgraded Member
Impact
I don't really understand what nameservers are, but I understand that they are, seemingly, important.

Questions:

What are nameservers?

Why are there 2?

Why does it matter where they are 'pointed'?

If I have a name listed at several different marketplaces, how should I determine where to best point the nameservers?

Thanks for help!

J

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Domain is an url to replace the address of Ip from Online Computer that is displaying A Page of Website. In example, the computer's IP is 566.999.435.876, it is not easy to remember. You can replace the IP Address with YourDomain.com

But to connect the domain and the website, that is available on an online cimputer, you need to connect the domain and the website. There are several ways to connect them :

- With A records
- With Name Servers
- With CName
- With Forwarding

Name Servers are at least 2 for backup, if one is offline. Usually NS1. yourHosting.com and NS2.YourHosting.com

A Records to connect blogger to domain are 4, but A record to connect Godaddy Website is only 1 needed. More than 1 are for back up.

CName for google are 2, one for www, other for blogger code.

A domain only can be connected to one website, so it is impossible to connect a domain to different marketplaces landing page

Last edited:
•••
They tell your domain who is hosting it for a live site or page. You need name servers active for people to contact you easily about your domain or for development.

The where to point is up to you.

•••
Thank you for the explanations.

J

•••
I don't really understand what nameservers are, but I understand that they are, seemingly, important.

Questions:

What are nameservers?

Why are there 2?

Why does it matter where they are 'pointed'?

If I have a name listed at several different marketplaces, how should I determine where to best point the nameservers?

Thanks for help!

J

Every single webserver has it's own ip address / then each server can have verious ports / folders etc... if you were a machine it would be find but... rather you are a human... so words are easier to remember then 16 digit numbers.

additionally think about your body... while some organs come in pairs for spacial / depth preception (ears / eyes ) think of stuff like kidneys / lungs...

why do we have 2 of then? well we dont NEED 2 lungs... but if you lose one lung or one kidney you wont die... on the other hand if you only had 1 to begin with -> then losing one is detrimental...

while im not entirely positive my thoughts would be that there are 2 nameservers simply because if one has an issue then the other one is still resolving...

another possible scenario would be maybe the different ip addresses resolve from different locations on the physical globe (however I doubt thats the case As that would mean every host uses multiple servers but im not entirely too sure either or.. just based on my own personal experiences as a developer these types of decisions are usually purley out of a a preventative error handling situation.

However I do know that there are someplaces that use 4 nameservers and even more...

Esentially when you want to use a name -> to mask your ip address you tell the server which name you are going to be pointing to the servers.... At which time some type of record or file or whatever is added to the server that just says yea be ready to resolve this domain name to this part of the server... aka your website.

Last edited:
•••
Think of it like a phone book. You look up John doe and it returns you his phone number.

DNS is basically just like that. You lookup domain.com and it returns you the IP address (numerical) of the website location and where it's hosted.

2? In case one is out of order. Like a phone... If your landline/fibre/satellite is dead you still have 4/5g to make that call.

Best ones to use? Totally dependent on your personal preference. Like GoDaddy? Use theirs. Like dan? Use theirs. All come with their pros and cons.

•••
Name servers are the names of the servers used to operate the functionality of your domains. You need at least two of them because A) your not allowed to have just one, and B) it creates a redundancy of sorts. It matters where they are pointed because they tell the internet "hey, this who's in charge of making this domain work".

Keeping in mind, nameservers alone don't make a domain useful. You need DNS records to go along with them.

If you have a domain listed at several marketplaces, you should keep your nameserver pointed at the registrars nameservers unless:

A) a specific marketplace requires it, or,
B) you've made the necessary DNS changes (eg, txt verifications) that allow the other marketplaces to verify your domain before pointing it elsewhere. A marketplace will take exclusive control of the DNS once you have it pointed to them, thus a downside if you wish to use CNAME or TXT verifications for other places or if you simply wish to use your domain along with also listing it.

•••
nameservers are the servers that host your DNS zone.
It's recommended to have 2-7 nameservers by the official DNS protocol. It must be at least 2 because when one of them is down, the other server can still host your DNS zone. Each nameserver hosts the exact same DNS zone. More # of nameservers provide better uptime and speed if they are geographically dispersed well. Primary reason is to have better uptime, speed benefit is a secondary reason.

If you will list your domains on multiple marketplaces, it's better to choose nameservers which allows you to edit DNS records. Otherwise you will need to keep changing your nameservers for each marketplace. Each time you change nameservers you may have to wait for 48 hours for DNS propagation. That 48 hours change based on TLD. 48 hours is for com, net and some other TLD's. You have no control over it. So, avoid changing nameservers unless it's really unavoidable.

You can control DNS TTL. When you change DNS records, it will take effect after the seconds you set (TTL). But if you change nameservers you can't control the TTL value which is set by the root (domain extension, TLD)

If you are looking for a free DNS hosting, if you are newbie, you can use the nameservers provided by your registrar. If you know some basics about DNS, I would suggest reputable providers such as cloudflare. It's better not to use the nameservers provided by registrars. Because you can't know when you will have to transfer your domain to another registrar.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back