Dynadot

NamesCon – Lower Your Ticket Prices Please

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
“Are you going to NamesCon?”

That is the question now. Who is going? Yesterday, today and tomorrow. Is this the place to be? Well to tell you the truth, It is not a "for sure" anymore.

The question of who is going to NamesCon is really a big deal. With ticket prices being so high now, many people are unsure if they will attend. Do a lot of people want to pay the higher prices for tickets to attend NamesCon this year? No. Many are still on the fence and most likely will not attend. I believe the prices are being raised based on the past years successes at NamesCon.

Read more here...
http://domainnamesmatter.com/2019/01/namescon-lower-your-ticket-prices-please/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@ecomslice Sorry, I'm confused - are you saying that you are dropping names rather than accepting a dollar? HAHAHAHA. You may want to reconsider?

Just playing along & joking, I'm relatively new as well - well maybe not anymore!

I am going to the conference for the 3rd year in a row - the first 2 were overwhelming, caused information overload, sent me in 10 different "niche" directions, but got me in the game. This one #3, will be much more relaxed as I finally feel (said feel, not know, I'm no expert) prepared. It's hard to consider investments when you feel so far behind the expertise (or complete lack of & you have no idea) of the sellers at an industry conference.

The personal/biz connections alone have each trip worth the cost, for me. I really think is would offer the same value to anyone who really wants to be in this business. But, the cost is (obviously) prohibitive to many.

You know, the more educated investors there are - the money there is to spend on the industry - conferences - collaboratives - etc. So we almost have a chicken and egg thing here.

We have to figure out a way to have a session/s or a break out room/s for some Virtual Networking - but as part of that formal, industry conference, environment and business atmosphere.

Yeah, rambling - sorry, really dont want to balance my domain spreadsheets!!! hahaha. 12 software apps, platforms, scripts (some I even developed) & I can't rest until my spreadsheet confirms - haha

Virtual Conferences are nearly as good for sharing content and quite cheap.

The fact that NamesCon has just dropped the price 25% and is offering free rooms should tell you everything you need to know about sign ups, etc.

I applaud them for doing this to get more people to show up but I would be really pissed off if I bought tickets and hotels a week or two ago. lol.

Fortunately for NameCon, it starts during a dead week... CES, Shot Show and AVN are all over and there is tons of empty hotels. Heck, even the Palazzo gave me free rooms for Friday through Monday. lol.

For the show/conference however... rooms are over $400 and selling out really quick.

•••
NamesCon tiks started as low as $199 last Feb. and were as low as $249 with BlackFriday/CyberMonday discount this past Nov. If you or anyone else waited til 3 weeks prior to get a tik and are complaining on last minute pricing, you had ample opportunity to do so, you’re better off not going. You have no one to blame but your cheap undeciding self. Geez what a whiner!!

Last edited:
•••
As a conference organizer... (not for namecom)... I see this nothing more than a money grab.

Your goal as an organizer is to get the advertisers and exhibitors to cover ALL of the costs. The ticket sales are just profit.

High ticket prices is just a bad job by organizers to get enough sponsors.
As a sponsor... a low turnout means you are going to think twice about attending the following year.

It's a catch 22.... and this is why as an organizer you want to give away as many tickets and get as many people to show up... because otherwise the advertisers won't show up if it is just 100 people.
You offer the cheaper price early which gets the numbers/traffic up which then makes the job easier to get the sponsors/exhibitors on board at a higher price as you have not only got the numbers from past events but also a projection for the upcoming one....which is what they paying are the money for.

You can't always rely on repeat business and you can not just keep dropping the entry fee otherwise the year after - guess what, every prat is going to wait until the last minute and eat into your profit margin

EDIT: not calling the OP a prat here by the way!

Last edited:
•••
@maksimfa Ok please show us which conferences (worth going to) that give away 'many tickets' before or lower their prices 2-3 weeks prior to showtime. (Besides the desperate ones that couldn't get any tickets sold.) Try to get a lower the price ticket for a CES show 2-3 weeks prior.

Sure... pretty much every camera show and business expo I have been to in NYC. Many of them will do it silently or less up front, such as through vendors, social media or emails.

The problem for Namecon... they can't right now... why?

Imagine... you are the guy who just paid $500 for tickets... and now the company is giving away free tickets. Someone is going to be claiming a refund.

When ticket prices are $500... it merely means the company is happy to take money and has no interest in getting maximum attendance. All of the vendors might have covered the conference fees and this is now a way to make money... Generally though, when attendance declines... it will drive some sponsors away.

Going forward, if Namecon REALLY cares about the community, make tickets accessible, $20 to $40... watch how quickly they sell out.

•••
ive got some ideas of what would work.. maybe il put a few in play in 2019.

•••
•••
•••
•••
@ecomslice Sorry, I'm confused - are you saying that you are dropping names rather than accepting a dollar? HAHAHAHA. You may want to reconsider?

Just playing along & joking, I'm relatively new as well - well maybe not anymore!

I am going to the conference for the 3rd year in a row - the first 2 were overwhelming, caused information overload, sent me in 10 different "niche" directions, but got me in the game. This one #3, will be much more relaxed as I finally feel (said feel, not know, I'm no expert) prepared. It's hard to consider investments when you feel so far behind the expertise (or complete lack of & you have no idea) of the sellers at an industry conference.

The personal/biz connections alone have each trip worth the cost, for me. I really think is would offer the same value to anyone who really wants to be in this business. But, the cost is (obviously) prohibitive to many.

You know, the more educated investors there are - the money there is to spend on the industry - conferences - collaboratives - etc. So we almost have a chicken and egg thing here.

We have to figure out a way to have a session/s or a break out room/s for some Virtual Networking - but as part of that formal, industry conference, environment and business atmosphere.

Yeah, rambling - sorry, really dont want to balance my domain spreadsheets!!! hahaha. 12 software apps, platforms, scripts (some I even developed) & I can't rest until my spreadsheet confirms - haha

•••
i guess part of the Namescon luster is off because you get the idea that the only way to make money in this business is to use the sponsors products and services.... where i think you have to have a plan, some skills, luck, so id like to see more equipping seminars

Where that tends to run aground is when the educational part of the conference primarily consists of talks given by representatives of the sponsors in order to equip you with their products and services.

Did you see this gem on the agenda:

"Secrets to triple your TM typo earnings" -

Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 12.39.50 PM.png

It's simply a promotion for this guy's re-packaging of the "protected parking" scheme. The sessions are frequently just infomercials.

•••
I'm not sure what the question is, but I do wonder whether people understand that the speaking slots are paid-for advertisements. To present something as "keynote talks with renowned thought leaders" without pointing out that these may or may not be either "renowned" or influential - or at least pointing out which spots were paid-for - verges on deceptive advertising practices IMHO. I mean, people need to label their tweets as advertisements according to the Federal Trade Commission. Selling domainers what may be entirely dodgy propositions from nobodies as "renowned thought leaders" isn't the most honest thing in the world.

•••
WRONG it's not 50% your fault, it's 100% your fault. NO conference lowers their prices the last 3 weeks prior just to accommodate the cheap on-the-fencers who can't make up their minds. They have expenses to cover. You state you've been to NC before, so you know this is the way it has 'always' been. So again, it's your fault for waiting so long and 'hoping' they will accommodate you and your laziness, and NOT on Namescon!!

•••
Brad, I would think with the constant flow of names you sell, practically weekly (y), I'd think you'd go just for the write-offs.

•••
Then NamePros should have their own conference. :xf.rolleyes:

CES notes 100,000 attendees, and yet there's over a few maybe hundred million people/entities that use electronic devices etc. Maybe they should use that same logic with their conference prices too, eh? :xf.rolleyes:

They should!

•••
Then NamePros should have their own conference. :xf.rolleyes:

CES notes 100,000 attendees, and yet there's over a few maybe hundred million people/entities that use electronic devices etc. Maybe they should use that same logic with their conference prices too, eh? :xf.rolleyes:
Yes, NamePros should have their own conference. It would be awesome!

CES doesn't have empty chairs, so there can be lots learned from them, since you mentioned it.

•••
They would get A LOT more people if they had a constant or regular/normal ticket price...

$50 advanced, $100 at the door.

Go ahead and ask any vendor... do they want more people there or less? Do vendors even care how much ticket prices are? Nope...

It is in the best interest of vendors and auctions.... to stuff the doors... and that means cheap ticket prices.

Put it this way, I will be in Vegas during this time for the Shot Show and AVN.... would have stayed for Namecon and even bid on the auctions, but I refuse to pay $1,000 for a ticket... it's a joke. It is more expensive than just about 99% of high finance and economic summits I have attended.

And advanced ticket sales don't guarantee people get in... past experience does (for vendors that is deciding whether they are going to attend.)

Keep in mind, most vendors I have dealt with, they make their commitments a year ahead, more at times.

Do you think exhibitors at the major conference think twice or care about advanced sales? NOPE... because they know the event is going to be packed from past history.
I moved away from events because most vendor and attendee feedback is that they are not getting good value for money. Round table discussions are much better.....

I was not advocating high tickets prices, a ridiculous drop in price the nearer to the event looks desperate

Advanced ticket sales DO help in getting people in (never said guarantee), if that person can not attend the company they work for will simply send someone else at that early discounted price that they grabbed....

•••
•••
so i spent some more time on the agenda, seems like its changing daily, quick tip, i couldnt tell til yesterday that there are two session halls, i guess thats why my first looked seem o show a pretty thin conferecne.

without any color distinction, i missed clicking on the second room , more domaining type stuff there..

Cyger, Godaddy, Brokers, ICA pretty good lineup - just saw today

maybe agenda is still coming together..

•••
•••
I wish these things were on the east coast sometimes. I speak for myself but probably not alone in saying that I cant take days off my job that pays the heat and food but would certainly go if these things were closer and over the weekends only, maybe even more frequently like quarterly. Also, the idea of travelling in the dead of winter doesnt appeal to me but thats my opinion about it.

•••
NameCon is overrated but I will attend the next year's anyway.

If you are in UAE, Oman or Qatar, let's meet up in Dubai. PM me if you're within

•••
I have to admit I think the tickets are over-priced even at $200 - $300.

Part of the purpose of a convention is to advertise the industry and attract new participants. The price tag is going to do the exact opposite.

Another purpose is to teach and inform people who are already in the industry but unless you're already successful you're probably not going to be able to afford to go.

It gives the impression of an old gentlemans club where only the select few that can afford it can go.
Exactly Mr. @DHaynes

•••
NamesCon sent out this email today. May be something for the 'last minuters' -

We’re starting the New Year with our biggest (and most exclusive) sale yet. Starting January 7, the first 150 people to register for NamesCon Global will not only get 25% off the price of a Regular or VIP pass, but also three free nights at the Tropicana!

This offer is only valid for 48 hours, from 10am January 7 until 10am January 9, Pacific Time.

Don't miss the premier domain-industry event of the year. It’s NamesCon’s last year in Las Vegas—together we can make it unforgettable!

It all starts with hitting the button below. Scroll down further for FAQs.

•••
wonder if it includes the wonderful resort fee $35 per day, maybe discounted for show....

•••
Well I know it's kinda off topic but we can do a east coast meetup in NYC or Philadelphia Free no tickets needed PM me if interested

I am in Lehigh Valley.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back