Dynadot

NamePros Best Of 2012

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Dear ownership, adminship, modship, an idea I touched on before, now would be the perfect time, bring the world into the light.

Namepros Best Of 2012

some suggested topics would be:

Best Registrar

Best Domain Blog

Best Parking Company

Best Drop Catcher

Best Tool

Best Hosting

Best Namepros Post

Best Namepros Thread

Favorite New Member

Namepros Legend Award

Favorite Mod

Just brainstorming some ideas, add, delete, tweak......

Then you have about 2 weeks of nominations for each category, followed by about 2 weeks of voting.

You can set it up so companies don't rush all their employees to vote, min. post count or have to have registered in 2012 or prior or whatever.

These things tend to have some nice participation. Winners sometimes put on their site that they won. Imagine a registrar putting something on their homepage about being Namepros Favorite Registrar, something along those lines.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I agree, These type events can be socially fun for many members. If we can get some staff interested that have extra time on their hands to dedicate to some of these polls, voting, events, etc.. then I would say they are doable. The hardest task is getting solid commitments from volunteers that work full time jobs, have families, etc. to be able to set aside the time to run these events so they can be successful.

At the end of the day, Ideas are a great start, the hard part if finding people that have the time to dedicate to them.

Eric Lyon

•••
It's not that complicated really. It's as simple as starting a new thread. Then when it comes time to vote, starting a new thread with a poll. Under an hour easily. Will be cool to see it if you guys decide to do it. One of the paid members, owner or volunteer.

•••
If it's just a matter of starting a new thread, That's something any member can do (including yourself) in the break room. I don't think it really needs a staff member to start a Best Of "year" thread with a poll vote for other members, since all members can create polls.

Wanna give one of the topics a shot & see how it pans out?

•••
Would pan out better if it was started by owner/admin, makes it Official. And all at once, do it up right kind of deal. Some random member starting a thread, won't get as much traction. Then once those threads are started for nominations, tweet it, throw it up on FB, the members here will see it, might have somebody blog about it etc, it'll get going. But it should be started by somebody officially with NP. Start it off right. Not start 1 thread, see it pans out but more of a go all in type of effort.

•••
That's cool if you're not up for it. We'll see if some staff can get free time to launch all those topics, type up the event content, monitor them, moderate them, sort the finalists, poll them, contact the winners, etc. I don't think it can all be done in an hour though like you're thinking.

The "all or nothing" is going to make it harder for most the staff to be able to find the time to dedicate to it, but we'll see.

•••
"That's cool if you're not up for it."

It's because I'm up for handling my own sites/business. I figure this would be something the owner should be up for naturally. Not only is it fun for members, it's usually good for business as well. Either way.

•••
Again, I appreciate your suggestion. Please understand that myself, the owner, & other staff members have full time work we do in addition to NamePros. In many cases we are already working 12 to 16 hour days. So I appoligize if I'm unable to give you a definitive yes or no answer right now as to whether or not we'll be able to get this done for you. I can say however, that I'll look into it and that I'll bring it up in the next meeting.

I like the idea, just not able to say yes or no to any commitments at this time with so much else going on.

Thanks for understanding,

Eric Lyon

•••
It shouldn't be too hard. Just set up a survey on surveymonkey.com.

I don't mind setting everything up and working through the results if we go the surveymonkey route! :hearts:

I'll even sponsor it with a $10 randomly drawn prize for a participating member! :]

•••
It shouldn't be too hard. Just set up a survey on surveymonkey.com.

I don't mind setting everything up and working through the results if we go the surveymonkey route! :hearts:

I'll even sponsor it with a $10 randomly drawn prize for a participating member! :]

$10 prize for all 11? 11 x $10 = $110 in prizes. I think he mentioned we need to run all 11 at the same time or none at all.

If you have the time and would like get everything set up and run these that would be awesome. You may want to rethink the prizes though. :)

•••
No, not surveys, and you don't have to pay people. Just copy a working template:

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/best-2008-535/

Go thru that. Nominations, polls. Simple.

I think the only thing you need to think about are the categories. I think I had some pretty decent ones above, you add some I forgot, leave out the ones you don't like. Let's pick an easy one:

Best Parking Company

You can copy and paste that into a thread title. 5 seconds or so. Then post something, like. Nominate your favorite parking company. Nominations open for 2 weeks. That took about 15 seconds to type. You have about 10 - 15 categories I'm guessing. Do the math, less than an hour, probably half an hour.

Now, once you have nominations done, it'll take a lil more time making polls. But not that much time.

Again, check out the link. That is a working and successful model.

Last edited:
•••
$10 prize for all 11? 11 x $10 = $110 in prizes. I think he mentioned we need to run all 11 at the same time or none at all.

If you have the time and would like get everything set up and run these that would be awesome. You may want to rethink the prizes though. :)

D-: Just one randomly drawn prize for a participating member, not 11 ;)

That could work as well, I like the way they made the entire thing a new section. Much better for exposure.

•••
Before the voting days begin..

Let my votes be the first ... :lol:

Best Registrar : Godaddy

Best Domain Blog : No idea 8-X

Best Parking Company : Bodis, they really pays you! :loveyou:

Best Drop Catcher : Snapnames

Best Tool : No idea

Best Hosting : No idea

Best Namepros Post : Name Pros Best of 2012

Best Namepros Thread : GoDaddy Discount Codes

Favorite New Member : Me ! :wave:

Namepros Legend Award : RJ :snaphappy:

Favorite Mod : Eric Lyon :great:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back