IT.COM

advice NameCheap dropped My.pe after I paid for its transfer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mr. Deleted

Slabaugh.com 800-266-2728Top Member
Impact
I bought MY.PE from a user on Flippa, and then in January I transferred it from Godaddy to NameCheap, and a few months later, I realized it was no longer in my control, so I contacted their support, only to be told that it was an "exceptional" mistake on their part, that they did not in fact fully transfer it, and just let it drop.

I did not want just any name, I wanted the MY.PE domain that I bought, and even with the return of the transfer fee, I am still out the cost of the domain that I bought.

50e8747dab7d49869ea1791de17459c6.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What do you mean "they let it drop"? What its expiration date was?

•••
Hmmm I do know that if you had it with name cheap and it expired you cannot transfer it to another name cheap account the domain has to current, they wont even let you transfer it in grace period. However I have not ever seen what you describe happen. It would be way worse if they actually sold it. Unless you let it drop I would definitely contact icann with all your records including screen shots. Was the domain a godaddy domains by proxy name on whois? Is it that way now if so the seller may have complained and got it back via a godaddy complaint.

•••
Send me all screenshots + proof at [email protected] and I'll see what I can do to help. If it is indeed true that it was all their fault, it's a major screwup and their compensation proposal is definitely not reasonable.

I reached out to the owner of Namecheap, Richard, last year iirc, I can contact him for you if you'd like me to and bring this to his attention.

•••
The drop date was February, and they claimed to have transferred it, but had not. They had never actually had it o their system, and lied and said it was there. (see screenshots below)

Last edited:
•••
2efc842a9f084dd5baafb31e7bbe19c2.png

I then unlocked it and I have more screenshots to take.

•••
•••
•••
Sorry to see it happens.
Namecheap can do much better than this.

If this is the best they can do, I will certainly move all my domains(100+) away from Namecheap.

Last edited:
•••
Id like to know how you can transfer a domain without renewing it? Is that really even possible?

•••
If this is true, it is very disturbing.

As domainers we rely on our registrars to administer our domains.

These are valuable assets and for NameCheap to take this so lightly and basically blow you off is very troublesome.

I have quite a few domains with them and this makes me extremely uneasy.

I would not let this stand.

What they did is very wrong and they need to make good on it.

Please keep us updated.

If they do not remedy this I think I will be moving my domains away from them and I will recommend others do the same.

This is a big mess up on their part and they need to step up if they do not want to see a huge exodus of business leave their platform.

•••
Whatever happened was Unfortunate but this doesn't mean Namecheap can get away with a year of domain or hosting. I would personally feel offended if this compensation was offered to me against my.pe

Coming to a resolution.

Morally and Legally, the resolution is simple. NameCheap Has to purchase the domain and send it to your account. If the current owner denies selling the domain, you can demand a compensation of your choice. I would suggest demand a $1Million. You wont get this amount, but the court will set an arbitrator to find out the market price of the domain. The arbitrator will accordingly suggest the actual compensation and namecheap would have to pay it.

NameCheap is a very reputed registrar and this mistake can happen. But morally Namecheap can't get away with a free domain. To maintain a reputation, you have to pay for your mistakes.

I would love to see you get a resolution here.

Cheers.

•••
Thanks, I hope they do the right thing and make it right. Kinda sucks, as I liked their service and used them for many years.

•••
Do they still not have phone support? Aren't they an eNom reseller?

•••
I am not sure about phone support. I think they have both enom reseller and their own registrar.

•••
I am not sure about phone support. I think they have both enom reseller and their own registrar.

I've sent the owner of NameCheap an email with a link to this thread, hope it helps.

•••
Id like to know how you can transfer a domain without renewing it? Is that really even possible?

Some .tld allow it.
What does NameCheap's TOS say ? Did you received renewal reminders from them regarding this name ?

If 1 year is included then they should have not let the domain expire. In such case, they should buy the domain from the current owner IMO.

•••
I have not checked the TOS, but if I remember correctly, it said "transfer for one year" somewhere, so it should have renewed too, and no, I was never given a notice that it was not properly renewed. My question was, was it ever at NameCheap, and NOT renewed, or did NameCheap just not do the transfer, and left it to drop at GoDaddy at renewal time? Either one is crazy, but I would like to know.

•••
Wow wow those screenshots look disturbing. I'm really sure NC owns you much more than this pity one year registration.

I've already stopped renewing my domains on NC and am transferring them elsewhere after their dumbest UI change, but now i'll really consider transferring all my domains out. I'll see how your case moves.

•••
I don't think this thread should be moved to the ccTLD discussion.
It should stay in the General Domain Discussion to get the the maximum exposure.

•••
I don't think this thread should be moved to the ccTLD discussion.
It should stay in the General Domain Discussion to get the the maximum exposure.
That is where it was till someone moved it.

•••
Wow wow those screenshots look disturbing. I'm really sure NC owns you much more than this pity one year registration.

I've already stopped renewing my domains on NC and am transferring them elsewhere after their dumbest UI change, but now i'll really consider transferring all my domains out. I'll see how your case moves.
I hated the update too, and now have a lot of names moved to namesilo, where the privacy is free. NC had free one year privacy, but NS has it year round. The reason I moved MY.pe to NC was due to the fact that it was 70 dollars to renew it on Godaddy, and 50 on NC, so I choose them, but that turned out to have been a mistake.

Is John Berryhill a member here?

•••
I would definitely contact icann with all your records including screen shots.

.pe is a ccTLD. The rules for ccTLDs are set by the registries, and do not have to use ICANN procedures or agree to ICANN consensus policies. The bottom line here is that ICANN doesn't have jurisdiction.

That is also why the domain name could be transferred without adding a year of registration to it. That's an ICANN rule applicable to gTLD registrations. Whether it is a rule that applies to .pe registrations is a question worth looking into. If there was a .pe policy violation, then the most productive route would be to take up what happened here with the .pe registry.

If adding a year of registration, or sending renewal reminders, are not policies that apply to .pe, then you aren't going to like my answer very much.

Looking at the WHOIS history, the registrar for this domain name was 1api.net prior to and after the mid-2015 sale, and remained that way up to the drop.

•••
Only .pe domain worthy of a mention would be Sky.pe and that's a tm :D

•••
I like my.pe. I hope you get it back or they reeeeally make it worthwhile.

If I had sky.pe, I would sell bags of Colorado air. TM can't say it's a similar business.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back