Dynadot

advice NameCheap dropped My.pe after I paid for its transfer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mr. Deleted

Slabaugh.com 800-266-2728Top Member
Impact
I bought MY.PE from a user on Flippa, and then in January I transferred it from Godaddy to NameCheap, and a few months later, I realized it was no longer in my control, so I contacted their support, only to be told that it was an "exceptional" mistake on their part, that they did not in fact fully transfer it, and just let it drop.

I did not want just any name, I wanted the MY.PE domain that I bought, and even with the return of the transfer fee, I am still out the cost of the domain that I bought.

50e8747dab7d49869ea1791de17459c6.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
lol on Sky.pe. So John suggests to contact the registry, and that is what I will do, and go from there.

•••
It is scary to think about the power a registry has over our domains, and how powerless we are against them.

They can do what they want to.

Take this example, only a few of us are discussing this.

This guy lost his domain because of something they did and he got screwed and the registry just gets away with it and nobody seems to care.

Makes me wonder what would happen if a bigger name registry screwed one of us out of our domains.

The only way we would get any satisfaction is if all domainers at NP backed that person and then the registry might do something because of the number of people commenting.

If they saw it might affect their business then maybe they would respond.

I have often thought how easy it would be for any registry or one of its employees to steal a domain that was under privacy.

How would you prove it was yours?

Your name would not be in the public database.

Think how easy it would be for a domain under privacy to be stolen.

It is disappointing how few people are commenting on this thread.

I bet if it was your domain that was missing you would want people to care.

•••
.pe is a ccTLD. The rules for ccTLDs are set by the registries, and do not have to use ICANN procedures or agree to ICANN consensus policies. The bottom line here is that ICANN doesn't have jurisdiction.

That is also why the domain name could be transferred without adding a year of registration to it. That's an ICANN rule applicable to gTLD registrations. Whether it is a rule that applies to .pe registrations is a question worth looking into. If there was a .pe policy violation, then the most productive route would be to take up what happened here with the .pe registry.

If adding a year of registration, or sending renewal reminders, are not policies that apply to .pe, then you aren't going to like my answer very much.

Looking at the WHOIS history, the registrar for this domain name was 1api.net prior to and after the mid-2015 sale, and remained that way up to the drop.

jberryhill How conveniently did you misguide Mr. Deleted to go to the registry and brush off Namecheap's responsibility. If he pays namecheap, its namecheap's responsibility to deal with the registrar about the renewals and following the T&C's. And what will he go to registry for? and what will registry tell him, "" Sir your domain has been registered by someone else but wait. Since It was NameCheap's mistake we'll give you the domain back.""

By the way here's the T and C page.

https://punto.pe/tarifas.php

Which clearly states that change of ownership is one year of renewal.

So there are 2 possibilities here.

1) Mr. Deleted paid namecheap for transfer and by some mistake namecheap did not renew the domain
or
2) Namecheap must have sent the payment and registry did not renew it by mistake

In either case it is namecheap's responsibility to deal with the registrar.

In case (1) Its namecheap's mistake and they should own up to it and be ready for a compensation which is not a 10 bucks domain.
In case (2) It's Namecheap's responsibility to give it in WRITING to Mr. Deleted that it was a mistake at registry level and he is free to pursue the case with/against the registry.

•••
Imagine it was a name that someone paid a million or some high premium for, and then lost due to one of these glitches/mistakes, and what the outcry would be on that? They would also have the lawyers out on that as soon as possible of course. I may not have paid a million for my.pe, but that is not the point. You should be responsible for any mistake you make. And they pretty much admitted to it too.

I was going to check the registry, but I had to translate it, and it said "(*) Cost of change of ownership is equivalent to 1 year of renewal.", so that is not a 'transfer without a renewal' ccTLD. That means that NameCheap never finished the transfer in the first place. They just simply lied and said it was in my account, which is kind of insulting.

I do remember getting an email from GoDaddy same as I always get from them for drops and for names I transfer out of their system, that says it was deleted from the system. Of course, at the time, I thought that it was due to the transfer, and not that NameCheap chose NOT to transfer it.

•••
On a side note, I have repeatedly advised against using US registrars for ccTLDs, because they often ignore their peculiarities.
Who is the upstream registrar above Namecheap ? I doubt Namecheap is a .pe registrar but rather a reseller, which further complicate things.
If you can at least document the sequence of events, maybe the registry will take action against the registrar involved, but again when you are dealing with a reseller you have much less leverage.

•••
On a side note, I have repeatedly advised against using US registrars for ccTLDs, because they often ignore their peculiarities.
Who is the upstream registrar above Namecheap ? I doubt Namecheap is a .pe registrar but rather a reseller, which further complicate things.
If you can at least document the sequence of events, maybe the registry will take action against the registrar involved, but again when you are dealing with a reseller you have much less leverage.
I would assume enom. Namecheap is ICANN accredited, but cctlds are not through ICANN.

•••
•••
FYI I got My. PE for "my physical education", which my wife and daughter get sometimes.

•••
Sorry to hear your story.. I hope it works out fairly..

•••
FYI I got My. PE for "my physical education", which my wife and daughter get sometimes.

sorry if I missed somehting
but what exactly is this asking price for it now that nc is not wanting to pay?

namecheap are not poor. they can afford.
but.. I suppose they could be.. well.. cheap.

•••
namecheap is CRAP. that's why I transferred all my domains off there. Got suckered in by some cheap promos but no phone support? (in the beginning) don't know about now though. and a huge hassle just to transfer out? NEVERMIND. glad I got out.

•••
yea, its for sale on sedo right now, min bid is 230

•••
I told them to get it for me, since it was NOT my mistake, but theirs, but they refused. I think though, that the mere act of buying the name for me would have bought them more goodwill than refusing, and this may actually have lost them more money in renewals than they expected to loose.

•••
Just had a check at the bid and sadly, it says min bid of 320 USD but the buyer is asking for 9,999USD

•••
Not surprised. He may have read this, and is hoping they buy it. But at any rate...

•••

Attachments

• Screenshot_662.png
    Screenshot_662.png
    226 KB · Views: 103
•••
A little ironic how the owner may profit from this thread. Of course the owner is not a fault.

I agree with everyone else here... Namecheap should make good, since it's completely their fault.

•••
Imagine it was a name that someone paid a million or some high premium for, and then lost due to one of these glitches/mistakes, and what the outcry would be on that? They would also have the lawyers out on that as soon as possible of course. I may not have paid a million for my.pe, but that is not the point. You should be responsible for any mistake you make. And they pretty much admitted to it too.

I was going to check the registry, but I had to translate it, and it said "(*) Cost of change of ownership is equivalent to 1 year of renewal.", so that is not a 'transfer without a renewal' ccTLD. That means that NameCheap never finished the transfer in the first place. They just simply lied and said it was in my account, which is kind of insulting.

I do remember getting an email from GoDaddy same as I always get from them for drops and for names I transfer out of their system, that says it was deleted from the system. Of course, at the time, I thought that it was due to the transfer, and not that NameCheap chose NOT to transfer it.
The value of the name doesn’t make any difference. It’s not “more okay” for a registrar to lose a low value name, than a high value name! A registrar needs to treat all names under their management with equal value/importance.

Just posting a reply to watch this thread :)
There is a “Watch Thread” link/button on each page, near the top right corner of the top post, so you don’t have to comment on every thread you want to follow.:)

•••
I suggest to file a lawsuit against them , this is there mistake and is clearly visible ...

What they are offering is too low and they are not even close to compensating

They should at least give reseller value of the domain

•••
Jesus someone get the jackpot,

The seller was check the date of expired on the end the transfer completely, or just trust on the email?

I was read all but its so big answers make me confused

•••
You screwed up two times:
1. Didn't check whois after the 'transfer'
2. Didn't check whois after godaddy sent you renewal notifications

I would like to know how many domainers don't check whois after the transfer.

•••
I check whois, check on the panel also write on excel

•••
You screwed up two times:
1. Didn't check whois after the 'transfer'
2. Didn't check whois after godaddy sent you renewal notifications

I would like to know how many domainers don't check whois after the transfer.

Good point.

•••
Now that I think of it, it's a perfect scam.
You have domain, let namecheap buy it off of you, so now you have $10k, and then they give you your domain. How cool is that?
We just need a name for this scam. How about we call it 'Deleted scam'? Get it? Get it?

•••
LOL. Wish I still owned it, that's all. :) But they did mess up.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back