Dynadot

NameCheap.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NameVisual

Established Member
Impact
I own over 100 domain names at Namecheap,com and last year I issued a few charge backs that I tried to resolve with customer support. They are trying to charge me $200 per charge back and they attempted to hijack all my domain names.

I got them to unlock all my domain names that they tried to steal and they told me I couldn't use any of their services until I paid their ransom demand.

I thought it was resolved after I told them I was not paying their ransom and that charging for a charge back is very unethical.

In the last week, I starting receiving more threatening emails informing me to not use their service and after my domains expire, I would have to transfer them out. They didn't like my response to their threat so they are now saying I have to transfer all domain names out by tomorrow or they will once again hijack them from me.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Do I need to hire a domain name attorney?

Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would have to say that I have no affiliation with NameCheap whatsoever, except as a customer with 5 domains there. (I own many more domains) . Which I intend to drop at next renewal time. I don't really like their updated control panel at all and I can get a better control panel with more features and better prices elsewhere.

This thread purely invoked my interest because of the fundamental mistakes which you don't admit to, and your "I won't back down" policy which has caused NameCheap to strip you of your domains and your account. For me. I would have paid the sub-$300 (now sub-$200 with 1 chargeback resolved in NameCheap's favor). With the objective of saving/preserving the other 99 (approx) domains left in the account. Then to transfer everything away to a better registrar.

Actually I did admit my mistakes. However, the mistake was caused by Namecheaps mistake of not abiding by the law and FCC regulations.

•••
What are talking about??
I don't need the FCC to change any laws for me.
Everything is working for me.

Besides, you might be thinking of the FTC...
SMH

Yes the FTC. They do regulate the internet and have regulations for websites and online advertising. And yes I have had my own businesses but I always wanted my customers to be happy so I have never had one single chargeback. I also had a carpet cleaning company with thousands of satisfied customers and no chargebacks. Not one. Yes, occasionally had a complaint but I made it right so the customer would be satisfied.

•••
I must have missed it. Could you please post a link to the applicable FCC rule?

I already posted a link to their online regulations for websites and advertising.

•••
You didn't answer Stub...
Which laws are in question here??
Which FTC laws were broken, specifically??

Last edited:
•••
•••
Actually I did admit my mistakes. However, the mistake was caused by Namecheaps mistake of not abiding by the law and FCC regulations.
So your mistake was based upon NameCheap not following FCC regulations? (I don't think so). I think they got most of the other legal situations covered though. So can you please post the FCC regulation they didn't follow?

•••
•••
Thanks for your opinion @offthehandle, I appreciate it. Sure, Namecheap has the right to ban me, however, they violated FCC laws, then tried to extort money from me after they mislead me with no asterisks or disclaimers on their order page and then hijacked all my domain names.

All this negative energy is going to Namecheap and I have shown that they clearly broke and violated FCC rules and regulations. So as for me making a mistake and not reading the TOS is irrelevant at this point. The reason I made the "mistake" is because of Namecheap's big mistake by not being transparent.

So really according to FCC rules and regulations, I did not make any mistake. I was unlawfully mislead, deceived, then Namecheap went on to try and extort money from me and then stole all my domain names that I paid them for. Namecheaps TOS is irrelevant since they clearly broke the law, violated FCC rules and regulations to lead me into making a so called "mistake".

So a lot of credit to GoDaddy for abiding by FCC rules and regulations by using an asterisk * next to the price with disclaimers on the order page.

With so many laws broken, one would think you'd already consulted a lawyer (or are one) and have filed a suit in a court of law against Namecheap. You case appears (as per your statement) watertight.

If you haven't initiated legal action, why not? Seriously asking. You keep saying they have broken multiple laws (this comment above itself states so) so this should be an easy case to win (incl. damages for emotional distress, loss of business and other charges). So it'll not even cost you out of your pocket

•••
So your mistake was based upon NameCheap not following FCC regulations? (I don't think so). I think they got most of the other legal situations covered though. So can you please post the FCC regulation they didn't follow?

Actually they are disregarding the FTC regulations.

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/f...nternet-advertising/0005dotcomstaffreport.pdf

The regulations are in there for you to read, laws passed by our lawmakers., Congress and Senate. If you still have issues with it, I recommend that you call your Congressman and Senator and ask them to change the laws. There is nothing more to say here. I didn't pass these laws and regulations, our government did so what do you want from me? What is your purpose to challenge Federal law, not challenge me but you are now challenging FTC laws and regulations. I don't know what else to tell you.

Last edited:
•••
With so many laws broken, one would think you'd already consulted a lawyer (or are one) and have filed a suit in a court of law against Namecheap. You case appears (as per your statement) watertight.

If you haven't initiated legal action, why not? Seriously asking. You keep saying they have broken multiple laws (this comment above itself states so) so this should be an easy case to win (incl. damages for emotional distress, loss of business and other charges). So it'll not even cost you out of your pocket

You're assuming things as others here have. If I am doing that, I'm not going to lay all my cards on the table for Namecheap to see.

•••
You're assuming things as others here have. If I am doing that, I'm not going to lay all my cards on the table for Namecheap to see.

Oh, I did not know you can file a "Stealth" lawsuit and not have the plaintiff find out about it. And if you did file a lawsuit, you should actually publicise it so that other users who've been stiffed by NC can join in to make it a class action! Duh

•••
Oh, I did not know you can file a "Stealth" lawsuit and not have the plaintiff find out about it. And if you did file a lawsuit, you should actually publicise it so that other users who've been stiffed by NC can join in to make it a class action! Duh

What makes you think I have filed one already? There have been so many assumption in this thread it's ridiculous.

•••
:joyful::playful::facepalm::xf.sick:>:(:xf.eek:O_o:xf.rolleyes:

Please point out a SPECIFIC law or regulation that was broken or "disregarded."
If you don't I will consider you to be a TROLL.

•••

Your link goes to a spammy ebook filled with affiliate links. NOT from the FTC.

Do you know what a troll actually is? The only one close to being a troll here is you, with all due respect. Thank you!

•••

Actually the link is to ftc.gov, the official FTC website, thank you though. The specific laws and regulations are in that official FCT file if you want to actually read it instead of asking someone else and then challenging them. Try to educate yourself on a subject before challenging someone else. Now I have even provided you the link to the FTC website which you have called "spammy".

Last edited:
•••
What makes you think I have filed one already? There have been so many assumption in this thread it's ridiculous.
Your phrasing and wording. That said, would you mind linking to the suit? I'd like to follow please

•••
Your phrasing and wording. That said, would you mind linking to the suit? I'd like to follow please

Again, what makes you think there is one filed yet?

Exactly what is your goal here and what outcome are you hoping to get by challenging my knowledge? I provided a link to the FTC website and the the government file, which you can download and study, if you wish too. It may be a good idea if you do since you have a business of your own.

•••
Actually they are disregarding the FTC regulations.

https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/f...nternet-advertising/0005dotcomstaffreport.pdf

The regulations are in there for you to read, laws passed by our lawmakers., Congress and Senate. If you still have issues with it, I recommend that you call your Congressman and Senator and ask them to change the laws. There is nothing more to say here. I didn't pass these laws and regulations, our government did so what do you want from me> What is your purpose to challenge Federal law, not challenge me but you are now challenging FTC laws and regulations. I don't know what else to tell you.

These look much more like guidelines than rules. It's even posted in a Guideline folder (see URL). I haven't read the whole document. But I think NameCheap would claim they have complied with everything in III). Or is it somewhere else in that document I should be reading? Please post the online Ad which doesn't follow these guidelines. Remember. We are talking about an Ad here. Not a snippet of a web page.

Let me post one https://www.namecheap.com/security/whoisguard.aspx This link is posted on NameCheap's Home Page. I would say this is enough to allay any worries from the FTC coming a-calling.

•••
Again, what makes you think there is one filed yet?

Exactly what is your goal here and what outcome are you hoping to get by challenging my knowledge? I provided a link to the FTC website and the the government file which you can download and study if you wish too. It may be a good idea if you do since you have a business of your own.
I am challenging your know because I think your interpretation of the "laws" are wrong and I'd like to see how they hold up in a court of law. I'm calling you out because of the entirety of the thread you've been claiming that NC broke the law but you haven not taken any legal action against them. This indicates that you do not have the confidence in your own words and they are nothing but just hot air and bluster.

I'm actually going to say it - your interpretation of the various laws that you claim to have been broken is incorrect and completely misguided. I challenge you to prove me wrong and not just in your own words but either through legal action against NC or through a statement by a legal rep. And I can say with certainty that both will not be happening because you have NO case. All you have is crying and bluster with no substance to back it up.

Oh and on the FTC link that you shared is for online advertising. The checkout page is NOT advertising.
This link (https://www.namecheap.com/security/whoisguard.aspx) is potentially advertising and on that page, namecheap very very clearly states that first year is free. Which pretty much complies with the FTC regulations around online advertising.

•••
These look much more like guidelines than rules. It's even posted in a Guideline folder (see URL). I haven't read the whole document. But I think NameCheap would claim they have complied with everything in III). Or is it somewhere else in that document I should be reading? Please post the online Ad which doesn't follow these guidelines. Remember. We are talking about an Ad here. Not a snippet of a web page.

Let me post one https://www.namecheap.com/security/whoisguard.aspx This link is posted on NameCheap's Home Page. I would say this is enough to allay any worries from the FTC coming a-calling.

The regulations actually do apply to websites also. If you actually take some time to read it, you will see for yourself. Let me know if you read it and if you still can't understand it, let me know and I will do my best to try to help you grasp and understand the whole concept of Federal laws and regulations and why it's important for everyone to follow them, respectfully.

•••

We replied similarly. However, one difference is that the FTC guidelines posted above do not apply to the cart/checkout page in this instance

•••
The regulations actually do apply to websites also. If you actually take some time to read it, you will see for yourself. Let me know if you read it and if you still can't understand it, let me know and I will do my best to try to help you grasp and understand the whole concept of Federal laws and regulations and why it's important for everyone to follow them, respectfully.
lol... Ironic because you don't understand the laws yourself

•••
I am challenging your know because I think your interpretation of the "laws" are wrong and I'd like to see how they hold up in a court of law. I'm calling you out because of the entirety of the thread you've been claiming that NC broke the law but you haven not taken any legal action against them. This indicates that you do not have the confidence in your own words and they are nothing but just hot air and bluster.

I'm actually going to say it - your interpretation of the various laws that you claim to have been broken is incorrect and completely misguided. I challenge you to prove me wrong and not just in your own words but either through legal action against NC or through a statement by a legal rep. And I can say with certainty that both will not be happening because you have NO case. All you have is crying and bluster with no substance to back it up.

Oh and on the FTC link that you shared is for online advertising. The checkout page is NOT advertising.
This link (https://www.namecheap.com/security/whoisguard.aspx) is potentially advertising and on that page, namecheap very very clearly states that first year is free. Which pretty much complies with the FTC regulations around online advertising.

It's like talking to a 10 year old. You really should take the time to read it and hopefully you will understand the regulations a little more clearly. I don't know what else to tell you.

•••
lol... Ironic because you don't understand the laws yourself

Ironice you say that since you haven't even read the regulations but here you are, challenging someone who has. Why don't you call your congressman and and ask them to educate you because I don't have the time to teach you everything. You simply just have to research and read like I have.

•••
It's like talking to a 10 year old. You really should take the time to read it and hopefully you will understand the regulations a little more clearly. I don't know what else to tell you.
Actually you should do that. You're the one who's being petulant and going na na na na. Not gonna listen to you. It's my way only and everyone else in the world is wrong. I am right irrespective of the fact that I'm wrong

•••
Back