Dynadot

Namebio makes me lose sale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
It´s the 2nd time that someone contacts me about a domain i own, they make me a nice offer,
but after a few days, they comeback with a much lower offer, because they discovered on google that i bought the domain in auction for a lower price.
Basically, they search for the domain and it appears on namebio.com with the price that it was sold.
It is the 2nd sale i lose because of namebio. I agree that it is a great tool for all of us, buy maybe it should be used only by domainers, not be available for endusers.

What do you think guys ? someone with the same problem ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If they want the domain at the auction price all they need to do is invent a time machine and outbid you. The price you paid for it has nothing to do with anything.

When you value a house do you consider what the previous owner paid? Nope, course not, the whole notion is ridiculous.

Do they want the domain or don't they? If they do, you set the price. They don't like it fine they can go elsewhere.

•••
Hows does the sales price compare to the Estibot value of the domain?

I know Estibot values should never be taken is a be all and end all BUT I'm assuming your buy is an end user and not a domainer. So if your Estibot value is more or about the same as your selling price then maybe you can use that as a motivator or use it as a guideline to justify your price to the buyer.

•••
i think you should ask staff to edit your thread title

why?

because your beef should be with "google", since they used it to search the domain name.

dnjournal was posting sales reports long before namebio, and we didn't hear no complaints then.

as for losing a sale, you don't lose what you never had

imo...

•••
True. If they really want the domain, they will buy it.

Deez007 thank you for your idea. I'll take a look at the estibots appraisal.

Biggie. It's true that there are more websites with sales reports. my opinion is that these private auctions/sales should remain private. It's just my opinion.
As it happened twice, it would be great not to lose more sales.

•••
Biggie. It's true that there are more websites with sales reports. my opinion is that these private auctions/sales should remain private. It's just my opinion.
As it happened twice, it would be great not to lose more sales.

if you want results from private auctions to remain private, then fault the platform the conducts the sale.

but others who participated in same auction, will also know closing price.

imo....

•••
I buy domains for hundreds and thousands of dollars that were hand registered and so do many people.

Pizza.com was sold by first owner for 2.5 Million Dollars and he regged it for 20 USD.

If someone wants a domain name, they will buy it. Namebio is a boon. I don't use Estibot to valuate domains, I use Namebio.

•••
Good luck to them, must be a pain shopping anything for them. Kinda the fundamental in trade to buy something and sell it with a profit.

•••
It is your right to sell a domain name for what price you want .
If a domain name is valuable enough, then name bio has no role in affecting its sales.

•••
Namebio is ruining resell value of domains. Nothing new here. Auctions that could be steals are no longer steals because they are indexed by namebio.

The value drops right away. Bidding on an indexed auction is no longer a good idea thanks to Namebio.

•••
Any sizeable enduser going to have their "tech guy" look into these things. And they are probably not hardcore domainers but definitely understand the game.

The answer is not to quote estibot. The 'tech guy' knows that's a sham too and will tell the boss.

The answer is if they insist on pulling down your domain, defend it by schooling them that the hammer price is a reseller price. This is what people pay to have the opportunity to sell it for much higher.

A friend of mine took me to a car dealer auction. People off the streets dont get to pay that price for cars.

•••
When you value a house do you consider what the previous owner paid? Nope, course not, the whole notion is ridiculous.

I think this analogy falls a little short. I sure look at previous sales price when valuing a home. I look at what they paid, when they paid that, what they put into it, what the market has done since that time etc.

I look at all metrics and as a buyer I look at sales prices on domains too. Now, I'm not foolish enough to think I can get it for $10 over that price, but just like a house I am trying to find an offer that I think will provide a return that the seller will accept while still being a good value for me.

Sales reporting sites are a double edged sword. They give the seller great information on market values, but they also give the buyer information to use in negotiations.

If you don't like the offer, you just don't sell. Real estate comparables are much easier than domains.

•••
If someone wants a domain name, they will buy it.

True!!

If they really need and want it they will get back to you eventually, especially when they try to buy a different domain in place of yours and see how much the other "replacement" domains are.

If they are serious they will come around.

•••
i agree with you guys but namebio is ruining in liquid domain mostly 4L because most buyers are resellers

•••
i agree with you guys but namebio is ruining in liquid domain mostly 4L because most buyers are resellers

That is how commodities work my friend. Without all the information floating around, just as many sellers would be hurt by not knowing where the floor is too. Information is what creates the liquidity.

•••
Where is the confidence here? Stick to your price, stop behaving like most domains, scared and foolish.

Reply:

I run a business not a charitable trust. Either you or your competition will end up buying this domain. I have no problem waiting many years, it only costs me 9 bucks a year to hold on to this gem. On the other hand, the next time you turn around and try buying this name it will most likely cost you way more to do so as the next buyer will be running a business too, just like myself.

Stop pinching pennies and listening to people who have never done anything worth talking about. Start the escrow on this domain or use one of the other payment methods below. Your gut feeling has done you well in the past and now it is telling you to buy this domain, listen to it so you don't regret it years from now.

Respectfully Yours

•••
If they want the domain at the auction price all they need to do is invent a time machine and outbid you. The price you paid for it has nothing to do with anything.

Lol, true. They probably do not even know there are auctions.

Do they want the domain or don't they? If they do, you set the price. They don't like it fine they can go elsewhere.

Housing sales are a good example.

Where is the confidence here? Stick to your price, stop behaving like most domains, scared and foolish.

Sticking to a price is dependent on the domain. Some have unrealistic prices.

In this situation @andreidobr I would double or triple the price and use @AEProgram letter. :)

•••
•••
Good points everybody.

Namebio is very useful for us domainers.
But, it is also a fact that a buyer who finds your domain on Namebio has an extra negotiation advantage against you.

It's not as simple as "they either want the domain and will buy it, or they will walk away" :
If you are losing a few sales each year because of Namebio, it becomes a problem.

Now I suspect that the high rankings of Namebio sold domains are due to each and every sale on Namebio having its own page, when it could be just a popup window. Maybe removing those pages would keep the sales more private.

•••
I do the same with items I want to purchase at 7-Eleven. I point out that the vodka costs $0,5 to produce (yeah, they do sell vodka on 7-Eleven here). Then they chase me out of the shop and I have to be sober for yet another day. Life's hard!

•••
I shoot my price and that's that. If someone submits a high offer and then changes it it doesn't disappoint me as I show no excitement until the wire crosses the bank. It's simply a thanks for the offer gonna pass, take care. If purchase price was a determining factor I would have never sold anything as 99% of my sales since 2003 have been expired reg fee .coms into 1-10k range with the sweet spot being more in the 2.5k-7.5k range. Domains that an end user really want's you could put a sales lander that says not for sale don't contact me and you'll still get offers. Domains that nobody wants you could paint For Sale in pink on them and hear crickets. No sense wasting time on nickel/dime tire kickers that believe pricing should freeze for eternity.

•••
I do the same with items I want to purchase at 7-Eleven. I point out that the vodka costs $0,5 to produce (yeah, they do sell vodka on 7-Eleven here). Then they chase me out of the shop and I have to be sober for yet another day. Life's hard!

They do here in Philippines too. Considerably cheaper too. Life's hard in Asean. Sigh. Hic :)

•••
I had this same problem with llllsales.com,
Tried reaching out to buyers with a 4L.com only to be scuppered with the price I wanted because the buyers saw what I paid.

•••
@kohsamui

when you look relatively handsome, the 7/11 cashier is some young thai student gal having a crush on farangs and the stars are aligned in your favor, you may actually get away with the vodka for sip baht instead of roi yisip baht... on the student cashiers expenses though ;) :p

•••
but after a few days, they comeback with a much lower offer, because they discovered on google that i bought the domain in auction for a lower price.

ridiculously - tell them to get lost

tell them you won't sell to them even if they offered 3 times more

its not their business how much you paid

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back