Dynadot

.tv My regged .tv name will be revoked without any reason! Help!!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I just got this email from Verisign...........

Dear Lin,

Please be advised that your registration to the domain name Pets.tv has been revoked because the domain name was not available for registration. Your registration fee will be refunded. We regret any inconvenience this may cause.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
VeriSign, Inc
www.verisign.com
1 703.925.6999
1 703.421.5828 Fax

I almost fainted when I received this email because I spent almost all of my savings to buy it for my website plan.
Honestly the domain name pets.tv is a standard reg fee one, that's why I bought it from the former owner, I think most of you know that there are still lots of good domains that were not premium priced and were registered by people at standard reg fees, pets.tv is just one of them but it is maybe the TOP one...........

can anyone tell me what I should do right now??
I am still shaking with anger but I don't know what I can do right now......

I need your Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am about to suicide due to lossing of this domain name.............

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow, I'm just catching up on all of this. I also want to try and understand all of our situations and not just with Pets.tv.

Lets say I take one of my .tv domains. (Does it make a difference if it is a premium or a regualr reg?)

I develop it and put $100k into it. The site is now making me $500k a year. After 2 years I decide to renew it. 10 days later I am informed that Verisign or Enom or whoever is behind this decides that they want the 500,000 viewers a week that I built up and so they refund me my $50.00 - $500.00 back and say thanks, but the name is now ours.

Can this really happen?

Fleaking, we've talked before and I feel really bad for you. What was written in the contract that you used to purchase the domain? Was there a contract? It could be that you were scammed. The guy who had it may have known that he would not be able to hold on to it and quickly moved it to you for a quick payoff. If you paid anything less then $10k for this domain then that is probably what happened.

Any real domainer knows that this domain would be worth anywhere from $25k to $250k or more.

In anycase I fully back you and wish you the best of luck. I am also a little more nervous for all of us.

•••
Searching in every agreement it says that so in effect technically can you reg a domain ( ANY EXT ) and in 30 days it be refunded ? yes Now the renewal policy seems to be unique to ENOM now we don't know why its there and need to find out I don't think the renewal would ever be used IMO I think it is there as language in a contract as a cover your ( ! ) in case something strange happens.

•••
EQ, would it be possible if you could invite on the attorneys you mentioned into this conversation? It maybe very helpful.

•••
So besides my premiums, most of my .tv reges are with GoDaddy or CenturyDomains, a GoDaddy Affiliate site so it seems I should be ok. Thanks for the quick reply Equity!

•••
Searching you are ok and I do not think ENOM would use the renewal for an example you built DutchChannel.tv into a popular site and you renew it after a year and they say we are cancelling the reg You would have history to show I think the renewal line is there just as contract verbage in case a domain was claimed to have been stolen and renewed they have a window. This IMO Only MINE I am speaking of is a Unique situation.

SKG I could try I know they both very busy Jberryhill has not logged on here in over a month

•••
equity78 said:
Searching you are ok and I do not think ENOM would use the renewal for an example you built DutchChannel.tv into a popular site and you renew it after a year and they say we are cancelling the reg You would have history to show I think the renewal line is there just as contract verbage in case a domain was claimed to have been stolen and renewed they have a window. This IMO Only MINE I am speaking of is a Unique situation.

SKG I could try I know they both very busy Jberryhill has not logged on here in over a month

Thank you EQ. A couple of words from either of them would greatly help understand this situation from a legal aspect on what has happened and if this occurance is a precident for future issues. Maybe we can also learn how to protect our premiums prior to spending a fortune in devo and or cover our ..... in a sale on a buyer or seller side. How companies are able to trademark generic terms like Pets and Speed is beyond me!!! IMO, this is AntiTrust in its highest form.

It is very nice of you EQ to champion this terrible incident to finding Fleaking some resolution. More than ever now, the forum needs to come together aganist Verisigns actions.

•••
You have to understand the 30 day on reg or renewal is not just for .tv so if ENOM wanted to with the conspiracy theory going on here, they could cancel the reg of every LLL.com or generic .com renewed through ENOM obviously they have not and will not this is a unique situation that sucks .

Will try to get a clarification from ENOM why their T&C have renewals included

and another thing for the 100th time FLEAKING DID NOT REG THIS DOMAIN, the original registrant does not want his NP id mentioned here ( interesting IMO ) SO no one including FLEAKING actually KNOWS what happened when it was regged. SO when this plays out FLEAKING will be dealing with the original registrant to get whatever he paid back

Last edited:
•••
equity78 said:
You have to understand the 30 day on reg or renewal is not just for .tv so if ENOM wanted to with the conspiracy theory going on here, they could cancel the reg of every LLL.com or generic .com renewed through ENOM obviously they have not and will not this is a unique situation that sucks .

Will try to get a clarification from ENOM why their T&C have renewals included

and another thing for the 100th time FLEAKING DID NOT REG THIS DOMAIN, the original registrant does not want his NP id mentioned here ( interesting IMO ) SO no one including FLEAKING actually KNOWS what happened when it was regged. SO when this plays out FLEAKING will be dealing with the original registrant to get whatever he paid back

EQ, if you can, try to get written clarification, not email or verbal. What is on paper will be what will hold up in a legal sense.

•••
ANd on initial registration it is pretty simple to understand if I said SKG I am leasing you this car but for any reason in the first 30 Days ANY Reason I can take it back and refund you your lease payment. I think you would understand for the first 30 days the car could be taken back. RARE that it happens but it can happen. If you signed off on it which is what ever domainer does during a domain registration that is the deal.

Well SKG that is semantics they can put whatever they want in their T&C you can choose not to do business with them Every site can set its own T&C just so long as it does not violate any laws which this does not, problem is most people reg and never read the T&C. Do you know you agree to ENOMS just by logging in?

WHen I regged LCD.tv for $30 Godaddy Dec 04 I knew GOdaddy could cancel that in the first 30 day I spoke J Berryhill and he said they have 30 days past that you are fine

•••
equity78 said:
ANd on initial registration it is pretty simple to understand if I said SKG I am leasing you this car but for any reason in the first 30 Days ANY Reason I can take it back and refund you your lease payment. I think you would understand for the first 30 days the car could be taken back. RARE that it happens but it can happen. If you signed off on it which is what ever domainer does during a domain registration that is the deal.

Well SKG that is semantics they can put whatever they want in their T&C you can choose not to do business with them Every site can set its own T&C just so long as it does not violate any laws which this does not, problem is most people reg and never read the T&C. Do you know you agree to ENOMS just by logging in?

Hard to swallow, but yes, I do understand. Even though we sign off on whatever the T & C is at time of registration, to actually use this in this manner can be construed as discrimination on the basis that the name was for no apparent reason take from Fleaking and handed to a Large Company. To enforce that clause for that purpose is chosing one over the other and is setting a precedent now. It is one thing to take the domain and hold and reserve it for a logical reason and enforce that right but another to do what they did based on the information we have so far. It is very foolish of them to do this before there launch in 07. Would they do this to Google if they owned a name and give it to a small guy? See what I mean.

•••
SKG I agree but the word ANY means ANY it is not really subjective. ANd I believe there more to this story than what we know so far.

•••
I agree. They clearly wanted this name to either a) make a lot of money by selling it to PetsTV.com or b) to help promote the (new) launch of the .tv extension or c) both

Eitherway, I don't think they took the current owners feelings or situation into account and for a name as large as pets.tv they should have been more sensitive then sending a stock email.

•••
SKG we have no idea if PETStv contacted Verisign to get the domain and verisign screwed up by having it available. Let me ask you SKG you know Chicago.tv dropping you contact Verisign and say I want the name when it drops let me know, Verisign says ok but someone makes a mistake and puts it as available and FLeaking regs, Doyou want Verisign to exercise the 30 day window since they made an agreement with you but it was a slip up it showed available.

•••
equity78 said:
SKG I agree but the word ANY means ANY it is not really subjective. ANd I believe there more to this story than what we know so far.

I agree, there is more to this story and I am on the edge of my chair to hear the letter they send to Fleaking.

It is just that, since the transfer things have been terrible. Many had no access to their premiums for a week and we could not do anything. Yet we paid/and or a better term we lease these names but had no access to some of them. We were never compensated for this and if I were running my empire on the missing domain/s there would be hell to pay. I tend to think we are treated like the run of mill. I often asked myself, if I were sony tv would by domain be missing? The priorites in this whole transfer........

In any event, nothing can be done at this time until more is heard from them. Thank you EQ for tackling this.

•••
Unfortunately this is an increasingly common practice and I would guess Fleaking's only recourse is to try to get his money back. If the seller is not a fraud I gather getting the refund should be no problem. If he/she was a fraud then their name needs to be communicated through the various channels to blacklist them. I guess if you haven't received a response from them yet Fleaking, then you can try to issue a chargeback via paypal (assuming this is how u paid).

Additionally I've created a page under icannwiki.org here:

http://www.icannwiki.org/Pets.tv

This should be updated by those people involved to make sure the information is correct and current. Keeping it factual and being careful not to libel anyone.

When the case is clear this also needs to be communicated across all of the boards (which has started already) and published across the news community also.

Additionally, now is a good time to introduce those of you who are unfamiliar to a lobbying association called the "Internet Commerce Association". This association was created to lobby on behalf of the global domain community to protect the rights of domain owners. Here's a link: http://www.internetcommerceassociation.com/index.html

Last edited:
•••
equity78 said:
SKG we have no idea if PETStv contacted Verisign to get the domain and verisign screwed up by having it available. Let me ask you SKG you know Chicago.tv dropping you contact Verisign and say I want the name when it drops let me know, Verisign says ok but someone makes a mistake and puts it as available and FLeaking regs, Doyou want Verisign to exercise the 30 day window since they made an agreement with you but it was a slip up it showed available.

This is true but at the same time they have publically announced they would not sell premiums until first quarter of 2007. Unless they let them reg this for nonpremium pricing.

•••
What really important IMO is FLEAKING get what he paid for the domain back from the seller

SKG this is verisign not DEMAND MEDIA it just happened to be regged at ENOM Verisignsending that Email to Fleaking if it regged wherever

SKG you did not tell me would you want CHicago given to you since you made the agreement before the slip up and FLEAKING regged?

Last edited:
•••
EQ, please edit out the price. I'm sorry, I didn't realize it wasn't disclosed. I've removed it from my post.

•••
•••
equity78 said:
What really important IMO is FLEAKING get what he paid for the domain back from the seller

SKG this is verisign not DEMAND MEDIA it just happened to be regged at ENOM Verisignsending that Email to Fleaking if it regged wherever

SKG you did not tell me would you want CHicago given to you since you made the agreement before the slip up and FLEAKING regged?

Good question EQ. My answer is YES I would want Chicago if I had an agreement that if the name drops it will be mine. Emotional feelings aside and thinking purely business, I would have right to that domain.

Last edited:
•••
can you edit your quote too pls SKG? Thanks.

•••
•••
Edited.

Last edited:
•••
So an unknowing client should get Chicago.tv taken away because they had no idea of a back room agreement? In all honesty how should said client even have proof this deal was even in place & not an over the top attempt to get a name?

Just asking hypothetically on the example provided.

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back