Dynadot

discuss My first $1,000,000 offer to purchase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Should I attach a time limit to my offer to purchase?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I am about to make my first One Million dollar offer to purchase and I want this to go a smooth as possible.

I have asked the advice of a couple of my peers on how to best proceed with this but I thought I would also put it out to some of the members on namepros.

My usual way of doing business when I go after a domain is to attach a time frame to the offer to purchase, but to be quite honest this one is kind of in a league of its own and I have to be careful how to pursue this.

My plan is to offer 500k down and 500k when the deal closes.

What do you guys think?

1. Make an offer with no strings attached

or

2. Set a time limit to add an urgency to the sale

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So you went for all the length to register new username just to bash him?

Why do you care if it is fake?

New account is a troll, mods agree?

•••
Will we know by Jan 1? So I know how much sparkling grape juice to drink.

•••
I strongly agree with time limit .

•••
I must be very important to have my own stalker :xf.laugh:

Merry Christmas

I don't think he is a stalker, you are all over the place on the forum.

maple dots.png

he responded you with this;

as OP posted before, dot com is "going down," ("Worldwide shift away from dot com" was MapleDot's thread title) is he now in fact offering a million for an extension that is "going down"?

and I think he is right, you are definetly talking about a premium dot com for your offer.

Which doesn't make any sense when you post a thread couple days before bashing that extension to promote ccTLDs.

Already few people mentioned that you are seeking attention with your threads.

Hope that is not true cause a lot of people spent their time to advice you on this thread with long explanations, including me..

Last edited:
•••
Hmm.... if I were a really good broker I would join and try to goat the perspective client into making a larger offer. Or even shaming him to make sure he does not back out if the offer is accepted.

Now that would be funny and a really good broker :xf.laugh:

Putting on my "alumimum foil" hat...
Maybe just maybe, "she" is a friend/employee" that here to add drama...

•••
Will we know by Jan 1? So I know how much sparkling grape juice to drink.
Well majority says put a time limit on the poll. We should be informed by Jan 1st I guess.:xf.smile:

•••
you are all over the place on the forum.

I used to own my own forum with about 5k members. I try to post a couple of articles per day to stimulate conversation. Sometimes a little controversy does boil the blood and keeps the forum busy. I don't mind members giving opposing points as long as the attacks don't get too personal but honestly I am just trying to stimulate conversation.

Quite honestly I never expected the topics to trend the way they did :wideyed:
I started today posting one article today as well and hopefully it does not trend because I'm not comfortable having so many topics of mine listed on the side.

I see your point, I'll refrain from opening any new topics for a while until the topics disappear off the top lists. :muted:

I'll keep this topic updated though but at this point I'm beating a dead horse even here, there will be no news until after the holidays on this.

PS. I am on holidays with the kids until the end of the week so there is no point adding a deadline until everyone is out of holiday mode.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

Last edited:
•••
I used to own my own forum with about 5k members. I try to post a couple of articles per day to stimulate conversation. Sometimes a little controversy does boil the blood and keeps the forum busy. I don't mind members giving opposing points as long as the attacks don't get too personal but honestly I am just trying to stimulate conversation.

Quite honestly I never expected the topics to trend the way they did :wideyed:
I started today posting one article today as well and hopefully it does not trend because I'm not comfortable having so many topics of mine listed on the side.

I see your point, I'll refrain from opening any new topics for a while until the topics disappear off the top lists. :muted:

I'll keep this topic updated though but at this point I'm beating a dead horse even here, there will be no news until after the holidays on this.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

I love how you just take a small part of the post and reply that to manipulate.:xf.smile:

I don't think he is a stalker, ....

he responded you with this;

Worldwide shift away from dot com" was MapleDot's thread title) is he now in fact offering a million for an extension that is "going down"?
and I think he is right, you are definetly talking about a premium dot com for your offer.
Which doesn't make any sense when you post a thread couple days before bashing that extension to promote ccTLDs.

Already few people mentioned that you are seeking attention with your threads.

Hope that is not true cause a lot of people spent their time to advice you on this thread with long explanations, including me..

Merry Xmas

Last edited:
•••
I love how you just take a small part of the post and reply :xf.smile:

Told you I owned a forum, one learns a few things.

Did I do it again? :xf.laugh:

•••
the domain is stolen dont buy it

•••
the domain is stolen dont buy it
No idea why you think / write that - but in the event that the focussed domain is the domain that I believe @MapleDots wants to buyyy, I can assure you that it is not a stolen one.

Because I own it.

Last edited:
•••
So you went for all the length to register new username just to bash him?

Why do you care if it is fake?

I believe others have posted, here or elsewhere that this "SuzanneChambers" is a "fake" new profile of an existing member. And now the account is Restricted.

But what is interesting is that while the "new" member is bashing MapleDots, at the same time s/he is also touting the non-dot-com extensions, just as MapleDots was doing before.

New tlds are slowly getting more popular, within 10 years very few people will use or want .com adress. New tld's have more meaning and will rank better.

I don't mean to say that SuzanneChambers and MapleDots are the same user, no not by any means, just saying that SuzanneChambers' motive is not entirely clear.

Last edited:
•••
I believe others have posted, here or elsewhere that this "SuzanneChambers" is a "fake" new profile of an existing member. And now the account is Restricted.

But what is interesting is that while the "new" member is bashing MapleDots, at the same time s/he is also touting the non-dot-com extensions, just as MapleDots was doing before.

I don't mean to say that SuzanneChambers and MapleDots are the same user, no not by any means, just saying that SuzanneChambers' motive is not entirely clear.

HeHe

Look at my post count, trust me I have no time to be anyone else and I knew that Susanne was a fake from the moment she opened up an account. In fact I was involved in a couple of PM conversations where we were almost betting on when she would be discovered. In fact I can almost guarantee it was not a she.

Remember I don't bash any extension, I only stated that ALL the ccTLD's combined would give .com a run for the money. I also keep saying that is the ultimate compliment to the .com extension because it literally takes all the ccTLD's combined to put a dent in .com, but that is another topic of mine.

Now the only thing to keep in mind about me is that I will probably put my foot in my mouth a number of times, but I will own up to it and I will do so as MapleDots, that part you can count on. :xf.laugh:

•••
I believe I made it clear that I did not believe that you and "whoever" are the same person.

•••
Thank you for the clarification but I just wanted to make sure nobody thought there was ANY correlation here. I may reasonably discuss a subject but I will NEVER insult another members portfolio.

What this Suzi freak did was reprehensible at best, I can take her insulting me but when she started bashing members domains and portfolio's it got out of hand. I can tell you she insulted some of the long standing members here that have incredible portfolios.

So yes, I may give a counter point of view but it will always be a point of view but never an insult against a members domains or portfolio.

Follow some of my responses and one of the things you will hear me repeat numerous times is that you should never insult a fellow domainer portfolio.

Why the heck are we on namepros if not to learn from each other. It's OK to question motive and intent but this person took it too far by attacking members domains and portfolios, and I'm not talking about mine.

I was NOT the one who instigated the investigation on this fraud member but I think it was necessary to weed out such a destructive personality. It has no place on a pro forum. /rant

PS. Girls have too much class to do this, I'll guarantee you it was a dude. :xf.laugh:

Last edited:
•••
I voted other! What I ultimately mean is whatever you offer, it isn't a forever guaranteed commitment to buy. Like you could always say Ill always pay $7 for love dot com. LOL. It'll never sell for that. I sold Cash4smartphones to a guy for 300. I still think its worth more than that, but had I passed I might still be waiting. I think you are correct to approach it like a real estate deal, 7 day contingency period, but in this sense a 7 day offer period. I think that is more than fair. (7 for illustrative purposes only)
Even though @biggie has a way with words, a domain's price is irrelevant to what you are saying . . . naturally for differing reasons! Love it or hate it, would you take a million for love dot com? Ofcourse you and I have interacted a bunch . . . so when you say you are in the ballpark, I know love dot com isn't a domain you are trying to acquire.

Last edited:
•••
•••
push him or her with limited time! because we all know decent offer wont come very often:xf.grin: if that guy in need money! maybe you get jackpot for a half price :xf.grin: or maybe cheap! who knows! :xf.grin:

BUT if that tactic doesn't works! just consider you lucky, for not buying overpriced domain :xf.grin: i.e positive thinking :xf.grin: LMAO

Last edited:
•••
As members of a community, it is almost always bad idea to attack thread-makers and focus on whether the topic is fake or real.

I ran a forum myself since 1998 and it was a top website for a country and one of the rules I eventually set there was to never shift the topic to the OP and attack/question him personally.

We should all be grateful for great topics he and others are creating for us to discuss, otherwise we would be reading only the recent handregs for fortune threads.

I personally don't doubt even for a sec that MapleDots is a genuine buyer, given his recent premium name purchases and his business acumen. But even if I did, it would have been irrelevant. Even if this thread was imaginary, it would still be useful exercise. And if it is not, just ask yourself: how often anyone shares the process of the acquisition live with us for a million dollar name? So why to discourage?

In short, even if it is not NP rule, let's just agree that it is for common good to focus on a topic, not its author.

•••
Thank you so much @Recons.Com (y)

It's very simple, I'll post the brokers response.

If the broker says I want 1.5 mil then the conversation is over.. simple as that.

I went back over my broker string and found a couple of inconsistencies so I am no longer sure I'm not getting a bit of a run around. I was told in one string there was a current offer just over a million (on a payment plan) but when I was offering about a quarter million I was told there was an offer twice that.

So in retrospect I have two completely different stories.

Additionally I emailed and asked if a million straight would buy it and I have not received a response. Radio silence so I asked someone (a domainer) who knows this broker personally to help me re-establish contact.

So I have not presented any time limits yet.

That said in all transparency the broker did say they would like to see over two million for the domain but we all know what asking and getting actually means.

So basically with a million offer I am at double of the 500k the broker said they had in one email.

Also at 1 million I would be just under the other offer the broker had which was supposedly just over one million but on a payment plan and supposedly the company asked for a single payment.

So like @Recons.Com said, I cannot be more clear and more transparent in this, I personally don't understand why so many people are having a hard time with this. I cannot offer more than that to the members.

For clarification the broker did say they were looking for just over two million (the just over part was probably the commission) but getting and wanting are two different things.

Now as far as what business may or may not be running, or has been running on it, that is irrelevant because the business is NOT for sale, just the domain is.

Enough information?

I did not say I was for sure winning the domain in my opening post, I clearly stated I was making my very first million dollar offer. I also asked fellow members if I should put the offer on a time limit or not.

That question has been put to rest and I have posted my decision.

I'll keep everyone tuned, when I hear anything more.

Last edited:
•••
7 days you need a reason to close a sale. Price has little to do with negotiation it is supply demand but best of luck with your purchase. If he never had bites they might move at 20k.

Last edited:
•••
Keen to find out what name this is!

•••
You realize that the broker is probably aware of this thread by now, that said you don't want to show all your cards so early in the game as far as how much you are willing to pay, negotiations on top category defining domains sometimes go on for months. If you show yourself to be too eager then the broker will get the upper hand on you and then he will try to get all the cash that you have on hand and then persuade you to pay an even larger sum in payments in addition to your final offer. There is no doubt that the domain is great and would have gone for several millions a few years back when .com was the true king, but we are seeing many top category domains that also would have sold for several millions in the past going for mid to high six figures in today's market so a million dollars sounds like a very generous offer on your behalf considering that you are going to have to recoup your initial invetment within a short period of time before any unknown factors come to play as far as new technologies or trends that might change the way that domain names are going to be used in the future.

Disclaimer: This is just my personal opinion as a participant on this thread and should not be taken as professional or legal advice.

•••
The thread could be a part of the grand play :)

He basically lets know that $1MM is his final take or leave offer.

•••
It's not easy to say no to a million, especially when the person making the offer makes it crystal clear it will be the only offer.

One can wait to respond to see if a higher solid offer comes in but when a time frame is added a decision will have to be made either way.

So does it benefit me or harm me that the broker could know this?

Worst case for me that can happen is I get a no and keep a million .

Worst case can happen to seller is he says no and does not get another offer for a million.

It's a gamble for all parties

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back