IT.COM

discuss My first $1,000,000 offer to purchase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Should I attach a time limit to my offer to purchase?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I am about to make my first One Million dollar offer to purchase and I want this to go a smooth as possible.

I have asked the advice of a couple of my peers on how to best proceed with this but I thought I would also put it out to some of the members on namepros.

My usual way of doing business when I go after a domain is to attach a time frame to the offer to purchase, but to be quite honest this one is kind of in a league of its own and I have to be careful how to pursue this.

My plan is to offer 500k down and 500k when the deal closes.

What do you guys think?

1. Make an offer with no strings attached

or

2. Set a time limit to add an urgency to the sale

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
OP created another thread where he came in and crowed about making a couple hundred K offer on a domain that was being offered for much more. That sale did not close and neither will this one.

I must be very important to have my own stalker :xf.laugh:

Merry Christmas

•••
Really the point of my post was more just wondering...if, as OP posted before, dot com is "going down," ("Worldwide shift away from dot com" was MapleDot's thread title) is he now in fact offering a million for an extension that is "going down"?

•••
Read my opening post on that topic again. I said all tlds together are giving .com a run that is an insane compliment to .com as a singular extension.

•••
canada.com has 1M visitors, developed website.

•••
Is that one of my domains ? If so, you can PM me the offer here. I promise I will response promptly lol.
I'd put a time limit.

•••
canada.com has 1M visitors, developed website.

Hypethetically @Hemanttilotia - not saying this is the domain I am making the offer on but since I did previously make an 250K offer on it lets break it down.

1. Canada.com the domain, not website has been put up for sale.

2. The site is owned by PostMedia who owns the National Post and many other brands
http://www.postmedia.com/brands/

3. Post media is a shrinking market and they probably want to condense their brands

4. They have begun the transition off of Canada.com quite a while ago because they actually run on o.canada.com

5. So hypothetically speaking they could sell the domain and bargain in that they can continue to run on o.canada.com until they merge it with another brand, or an an ongoing basis depending on negotiations.

6. They have hired a broker to sell the domain only, which shows intent.

7. One has to assume the brand targeting only Canada is being watered down by other publications in their portfolio.

8. A .com sale in the million dollar range is very common but once you regionalize it to a country with a population of only 36 million people one can see the domain has some limitations.

9. Making a public proposal as what I have done absolutely commits me should the answer be yes

10. Ask yourself if you have ever made a public proposal for 250k or 1 million, I assure you that is not a small decision. I cannot go hide and tuck my tail between my legs if an offer like that gets accepted. My reputation on namepros would be shot.

So everyone who is belittling a million dollar offer, I say show me when the last time was that you actually did the same because as this all concludes I will post all the details necessary to show my intend was, and continues to be real.

PS. The 250K offer I made on Canada.com was a stretch but the way I looked at it the domain targets a country of only 36 million and if you look at income households its probably 8-9 million. In perspective a .com like purple.com can target an entire world giving it infinitely more possibilities in business use and possible income.

Now if this were the domain then a million would be reasonable because as I said, I am the second highest bidder (Close bids) with the highest bidder having funding conditions I would not have.

All that said... the same could apply to the actual domain the offer has been made on. :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Hypethetically @Hemanttilotia - not saying this is the domain I am making the offer on but since I did previously make an 250K offer on it lets break it down.

1. Canada.com the domain, not website has been put up for sale.

2. The site is owned by PostMedia who owns the National Post and many other brands
http://www.postmedia.com/brands/

3. Post media is a shrinking market and they probably want to condense their brands

4. They have begun the transition off of Canada.com quite a while ago because they actually run on o.canada.com

5. So hypothetically speaking they could sell the domain and bargain in that they can continue to run on o.canada.com until they merge it with another brand, or an an ongoing basis depending on negotiations.

6. They have hired a broker to sell the domain only, which shows intent.

7. One has to assume the brand targeting only Canada is being watered down by other publications in their portfolio.

8. A .com sale in the million dollar range is very common but once you regionalize it to a country with a population of only 36 million people one can see the domain has some limitations.

9. Making a public proposal as what I have done absolutely commits me should the answer be yes

10. Ask yourself if you have ever made a public proposal for 250k or 1 million, I assure you that is not a small decision. I cannot go hide and tuck my tail between my legs if an offer like that gets accepted. My reputation on namepros would be shot.

So everyone who is belittling a million dollar offer, I say show me when the last time was that you actually did the same because as this all concludes I will post all the details necessary to show my intend was, and continues to be real.

PS. The 250K offer I made on Canada.com was a stretch but the way I looked at it the domain targets a country of only 36 million and if you look at income households its probably 8-9 million. In perspective a .com like purple.com can target an entire world giving it infinitely more possibilities in business use and possible income.
Canada.com is a global domain, if you look at the ethnic makeup of Canada, you have millions of people trying to immigrate to Canada whether they are trying to jump the border, using foreign worker programs, or thru direct investment. Canada is growing, and it has room to grow so much there isn’t enough people to do the jobs that need doing. If I owned it I would set it up as a immigration consultant site, a very vulture like industry, but extremely lucrative.

The amount of money that flows thru China alone provincial bodies cannot even track as it is that massive.

From lucrative Vancouver real estate, to Saskatchewan farm land by the thousands of acres, to prime Toronto downtown condos, and now Montreal as a undervalued play. Along with the value added Atlantic provinces which offers a more serene way of life without all the ball, and chain cost of living of big cities. There is massive room to grow.

It is true many newspapers have held great domains, and many have sold off those assets as they try to fight the digital onslaught of online media. Even if they go with o.canada.com, they still need access to Canada.com.

No broker should ignore a $1M offer, they should at least respond they are working on it, maybe hard to get a hold of the people who make the call during the Holidays.

If I owned a chain of newspaper across Canada, probably best to place one page listings in all the papers to put bids with deposits for Canada.com, and they can probably obtain a much higher offer. $1M with a payment plan for Canada.com is a bit of a joke, the broker doesn’t seem to be doing a very good job of getting the word out unless they have their own buyer who will come in on lack of action which I have seen in many real estate transactions. If you have $1M in hand, and havevmade the offer, then props to you as that is a serious offer, and worthy of serious talks, and a counter. You can’t really put 48 hour timelines when you are dealing with a large corporation that has a board, thru a broker, during the holiday season.

I do think the domain is maybe worth about closer to $3M on a wholesale level for a company of this size to sell it.

•••
I'd offer $1.1 million for a deal done in 2018 which goes down to $1 million in 2019.

•••
Oh, it's definitely a .top

Likely 63 characters too. You'd have to be outta of your mind to consider throwing a mil at anything less..
Well said - but the point is, that 1,000,000.00 USD would not be considered as a serious offer.

@MapleDots
Therefore it would not make a difference if you would attach a time limit to your offer or not.

•••

You didn't understand. I posted the traffic stats because I think there's a big potential here and one can easily make a lot of money. The domain itself is worth around $3M and you definitely are betting right.
I think this is a big offer and definitely takes a lot of courage, but if you see the potential and the name, it is definitely worth a shot.
I have experience in running magazines or digital papers and i can tell you, it is as big as it can get

•••
Trying to understand #8...

As a keyword "About 8,060,000,000 results "
https://www.google.ca/search?q=cana.....69i57j0l5.2351j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Another possible keyword search like "Canada info" (tourist/research/etc) gets a fair amount of searches
"About 3,810,000,000 results (0.85 seconds)"

The search results tells me the limitations (population) not a deciding factor..

•••
Fact: @MapleDots will never spend $1million for a domain, he would never spend $100,000 or even $10,000. His best domain is red.ca, worth about $2,000.

MapleDots will do everything possible to sabotage this negotiation and he’ll com back with trash excuses about how the seller spurned him.

•••
Ohhhh...

Nice to meet you too O_o

•••
Has this deal been closed already? Too much discussions for imaginal domain deal. Are we so idle here?

•••
Going over these posts it seems that some people give their opinions without relevant facts or experience. That said....

You are not purchasing the name to resell which would have made this investment somewhat risky.

You are purchasing this name to scale and market your other businesses. Some say to use the money for advertising on other platforms but dont take in consideration that if you buy the name in question you should receive traffic relevant to your businesses because they share the geographical area of the targeted visitors, and some value can be attached to that alone.

2) in my opinion it is a great investment but at the same time you should look into protecting it considering what happened to the France domain name.

3) I think your offer is fair for both parties.

I'm sorry about typos Etc I hurriedly wrote this as im driving.

Oh almost forgot As for your main concern which I think the point of your post was about in regards to time limit. imo As long as you're not legally obligated I would just informally say you are looking for an answer as soon as possible in so many words.

Good luck with the purchase and best wishes

•••
Going over these posts it seems that some people give their opinions without relevant facts or experience.

Well I guess that is what forum discussions are for, there are always opinions and I knew the risk going in.

That said my decision on the time limit has been made

I have decided to go with this approach...

Seller has 48 hours to accept or reject, if accepted you would enter a 1 week due diligence period.

Thank you @maksimfa this one makes the most sense.

I will start the time from when I hear back from the broker at which time I will ask her to formally present the offer to the owner of the domain. I will offer her a 10% deposit to show I am a serious buyer. Only then will I start the clock on my offer because it would be silly to start over the holidays.

I will say up front clearly on the forum that it is a single offer, I have no intention of raising. The outcome will be decided solely by the broker, no tricks, no shenanigans, if the broker says yes then we have a deal. If the broker says no then I move on and that is that.

In closing.... a million dollars is a very serious offer to me. It might not be for someone else or a big corporation but to me it is a serious commitment and I will stand behind it if the broker accepts.

I wish I had more funds and able to raise the bid but the fact remains that I cannot take a larger risk using my business funds. So to anyone trying to read any more into this, it simply is what it is. An offer, a negotiation and an outcome. If you want to criticize and accuse me of something please do so if the broker accepts and I back out. Other than that I have no control of this, I simply state in my post that I am making my first million dollar offer, I made no other claims of grandeur.

Fact...

I am very nervous for a YES

I will be disappointed for a NO

Either way I am not making that decision, it will be made by the broker and the outcome will be posted in this string.

If I win the domain I will be called an idiot for spending that much on a domain.

If I lose the domain I will be accused of making a pretend offer.

Either way I cannot really win with the more vocal members but that is what you get when you post on a public forum. Will I refrain from doing so in the future?..... hehe, probably not, I am a glutton for punishment. :xf.wink:

•••
This thread and revealing the domain wasn't a very smart idea. I would request to have it deleted if I were you...if even possible...

•••
If I win the domain I will be called an idiot for spending that much on a domain.

If I lose the domain I will be accused of making a pretend offer.

You win if you buy the domain, and yes you lose if you don't because iit looks pretend (which it is because you would never actually spend the money as everyone can see from the maple.com thread).

•••
You win if you buy the domain, and yes you lose if you don't because iit looks pretend (which it is because you would never actually spend the money as everyone can see from the maple.com thread).
I respectfully disagree. It's commendable he comes on here and discusses this transaction with so much transparency. It's educational, informative and absolutely entertaining.:xf.smile:

The only ones who lose are those who are attacking him for no justifiable reason.

•••
I respectfully disagree. It's commendable he comes on here and discusses this transaction with so much transparency. It's educational, informative and absolutely entertaining.:xf.smile:

The only ones who lose are those who are attacking him for no justifiable reason.

It's all fake. He'd never buy it and if they actually accepted all he terms he'd cut n run like Usain Bolt!

•••
It's all fake. He'd never buy it and if they actually accepted all he terms he'd cut n run like Usain Bolt!
Having signed up today, I would like to welcome you to NamePros. I hope your journey here will be well, as mine has been.

•••

So you went for all the length to register new username just to bash him?

Why do you care if it is fake?

•••
This thread and revealing the domain wasn't a very smart idea. I would request to have it deleted if I were you...if even possible...

You make a good point but I thought about that when I opened the topic. I knew it was never going to be a negotiation so there is not really a big secret of any kind here. It is a single offer requiring an acceptance or a decline. If I thought I had a chance of getting it any cheaper through some secret negotiation process then I would not have said anything.

•••
Why do you care if it is fake?

Hmm.... if I were a really good broker I would join and try to goat the perspective client into making a larger offer. Or even shaming him to make sure he does not back out if the offer is accepted.

Now that would be funny and a really good broker :xf.laugh:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back