IT.COM

My 1st domain sale experience with Uniregistry.

NameSilo
Watch
My 1st domain sale experience with Uniregistry.

This is not about who is wrong or right ,maybe it's because this is my first domain sale at uniregistry .
But it left a negative impression on me ,so much so that I disabled all my 1240 domain being brokered by uniregistry from now .I also send 3 Tweets to Frank Schilling without getting a reply
I also will move any renewal domains away from uniregistry .
You make your own judgement on this or maybe you have simular story .
-----------------------------------------------------------
Here is why .
I recieved an email from Christopher Aguilar,from Unireg.
Offer of $100 for domain ....com
I countered with $300----The buyer agreed and i would get $255
This opportunity will be subject to our standard 15% commission. Please price your domain accordingly to include the commission as it will be deducted from the final purchase price.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Then I received another email from Chris .
Message from Christopher Aguilar at Uniregistry.com:
Buyers offer $400.00
Commission rate 15%
"""" Net price $340.00*""""
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Chris
I am just wondering why the buyer and i agreed on $300 for the domain in the first place
and you still tried to get a higher price ?I did NOT ask you to get a higher price !!!
He was just about to cancel the deal because of this .
----------------------------------------------------------
Hi Frank,
The buyer is maxed out at 400. You would net 224.80.
What do you think?
Buyers offer $400.00
Commission rate 43.8%
"""""Net price $224.80*""""
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congratulations! Your transaction to sell ....com is complete!
The domain has been transferred to the buyer and we've credited your account with your earnings from the sale. Should you have any further questions, please contact our support team. Thank you for using the Uniregistry Market!

Domain: .......com
Sale price: $400.00
Commission: $190.52
Earnings: $209.48
=======================================================
In all our 10 or so conversations the line " Brokers fee is $175 " has only been mentioned ONCE.
I also told Chris that i wanted to be paid via Paypal but they still used Credit Card ,because
I am being charged $25 fee.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Frank,

My name is Jeffrey Gabriel I am the Vice President of Sales at Uniregistry. I read what you have been writing, and I have to say I am taken back by all of this.

On February 4 we received the inquiry and made you the offer. On February 5th, Chris wrote to you, "We have a $300 confirmed offer. Keep in mind; we have a minimum $175 for our commission when brokering deals. How would you like to proceed?"

You responded to Chris: "Hi Chirs
If I will recieve $255.00* nett ,,please go ahead and sell it .
paypal prefered "

That told Chris that you needed to NET 255 USD. That is a counteroffer.

Chris took that information and went for $750.00 to get you to the number you wanted. Then he responded to you on February 8th:

"Hi Frank,

What do you think? "

Frank, we charge a minimum commission of $175.00. It is on our site, and you agreed to it when you agreed to our terms and conditions. I think Chris did a great job getting the buyer to a higher price so you could net the amount you wanted.

In the future, you can contact me directly Jeff at Uniregistry.com or call me 1-949-416-2555 x6261. Tweeting the CEO of a 150 person company is not the best way of going about submitting complaints, or customer service tickets.

It would be great if you could call me today so we can find a way for our team to work better with you in the future, or I can connect you with the proper people to help you move your domains to another registrar. Before you make any rash decisions I think you should read over the communications between yourself, and Chris again. Perhaps you will realize there was not any malicious intent, poor service, or anything else you allude to. At best it was a miscommunication between you and him.

Have a great day. Thank you for the opportunity.

•••
Good lord that's an astronomical commission rate for a broker. Doesn't sound good to me.

•••
•••
Maybe i have misinterpreted the term "BROKER " but this man has spent only sending 2 or 3 emails to the buyer on this deal .
Yeah they hardly earn a cut do they. I've heard other negative stories about uniregistry "brokers" being complete amateurs and harassing customers, going against the wishes of the seller etc. I think you can opt to not use a broker but I've even heard that doesn't work either.

•••
Not very professional. I am glad I have nothing to do with Uniregistry or their services.

Brad

•••
You have to provide this forum with the actual full facts before slating a business - if what @Jeffrey Gabriel is saying is the correct version of events.

I get that the OP is gutted because he sold the domain for way less than the asking price. But I would also add that if you set a 'minimum offer' then uni reg shouldn't be trying to sell so far below it.

Salesmen/women, will always ride the line of right and wrong - especially in a high pressure sales environment such as this. The lad at uni reg, Chris, is probably targeted with a certain number of sales each wk/mo and if he doesn't get them, he's out of a job!

My two cents

•••
What happened here:

Jeffrey M. Gabriel Account Auto-Closed

What happened is that Jeff has a namepros account which he hasn't used in a long time, and does not remember what the login was. So for the purpose of replying in this thread, he created a new account. Detecting two accounts, Eric shut off the new one, instead of the old one.

@Eric Lyon - would it be possible to close the old unused account instead, so that Jeff can address the questions here?

•••
Most Uniregistry "brokers" - Extremely unprofessional and annoying.

•••
I made an inquiry once to uni, those canned broker messages are sad. And rude.
Listed my names there, just fake inquiries
No names any more at uniregistry, wouldn't even accept one reg there. Sorry Frank, fellow Canadian
haven't heard many good things about uniregistry and I doubt I ever will.

Welcome to namepros @Jeffrey Gabriel

•••
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Buyers offer $400.00
Commission rate 15%
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Chris
I am just wondering why the buyer and i agreed on $300 for the domain in the first place
and you still tried to get a higher price ?I did NOT ask you to get a higher price !!!
He was just about to cancel the deal because of this .
----------------------------------------------------------
Hi Frank,
What do you think?
Buyers offer $400.00
Commission rate 43.8%
"""""Net price $224.80*""""
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congratulations! Your transaction to sell ....com is complete!
The domain has been transferred to the buyer and we've credited your account with your earnings from the sale. Should you have any further questions, please contact our support team. Thank you for using the Uniregistry Market!

Domain: .......com
Sale price: $400.00
Commission: $190.52
Earnings: $209.48
=======================================================.

Notice the difference in the profit amounts in Chris’s first and 2nd messages. In the first message he states 15% commission by the 2nd message it has jumped to 43% commission which is outrageous irregardless of the terms and conditions.

Why wasn’t he given the complete amount with all deductions and full commission rate and fees before he made a decision? Seems deceptive to me. Not everyone is good at calculations and he wasn’t given the bottom line in the first contact.

•••
Hi Nick,

""""I was able to convince the owner to come down to $750. """"

THIS IS A LIE !! NOBODY CONVINCED ME OR EVEN MENTIONED THIS AMOUT TO ME ""

This is the lowest it has been offered to anyone.
I would highly recommend moving forward.
Best,

@Jeff Gabriel, Apparently Uniregistry brokers are trained to lie to buyers? Or did this employee go rogue? Will you be disciplining them? Or do you approve?

•••
If you make the unfortunate mistake of inquiring about a Uniregistry listed domain you're spammed senseless with follow up emails for years thereafter.

Each of which has a functional link to prevent further followups.

Yes, Uniregistry will continue to follow up on leads until the lead specifically requests to discontinue negotiating.

•••
Good lord that's an astronomical commission rate for a broker. Doesn't sound good to me.
Maybe i have misinterpreted the term "BROKER " but this man has spent only sending 2 or 3 emails to the buyer on this deal .

Last edited:
•••
So Uniregistry answers your inbound offers (emails you could easily manage yourself) and then takes a huge cut. Why is anybody there especially lower budget domains? I don’t get it. They take almost half your profit on a small sale? 😳

•••
Notice the difference in the profit amounts in Chris’s first and 2nd messages. In the first message he states 15% commission by the 2nd message it has jumped to 43% commission which is outrageous irregardless of the terms and conditions.

Notice the difference between what was posted here, and what the actual communications were:

"On February 4 we received the inquiry and made you the offer. On February 5th, Chris wrote to you, "We have a $300 confirmed offer. Keep in mind; we have a minimum $175 for our commission when brokering deals. How would you like to proceed?"

•••
I made a comment here about my experience with DomainNameSales and Uniregistry, which are now the same company, but it was deleted as off topic - perhaps it was not clear it is the same company, and you can access the same sales and enquiries info via either interface. I have seen the agents stretch the truth to close a sale, but most salespeople do that. But I haven't seen any messages sent to customers in my account who unsubscribe, which I can see in the control panel. Unless emails that I can't see are sent later.

And yes the minimum commission was clear to me from the outset.

•••
1) I think this is one of those situations where there was a mix up on both sides in terms of the seller-broker interaction. If these were the last exact numbers and wording written in the broker's last email before the sale, then there is a problem for this specific transaction that can't really be hidden behind the terms of service (which say there must be a minimum of $175 commission).

Buyers offer $400.00
Commission rate 15%

If that was in the email sent to you (the seller) then you most certainly are due $340. Uni should give you the difference. However if he just put $400 and you assumed the rest .. then it's what is in the TOS that counts.

2) As a very separate issue .. is the fact the broker lied to the seller on your behalf. If that is true then there is no excuse for that. It essentially goes against the fundamental ethics of being a broker. It not only looks bad for you as the seller .. and not only looks bad for Uniregistry .. but it looks bad for the entire domaining community. It's hard enough fighting people who think holding generics and keywords is cybersquatting .. but when stuff like this happens it really hurts us all.

However .. if he said he convinced you to let it go for $750 after you said ok at $400 first then that's fine. But if he said he was able to convince you down to $400 before any contact with you then this broker should be reprimanded if not outright fired. Especially if the only information he was going on was that you had $2000 as a minimum offer.

That being said .. it is 100% ok to lie to all "Hungry students who need your domain for a school project"! lol

Last edited:
•••
That's pretty bad. Basically a broker is putting your reputation on the line by asking for more money when you've already agreed a price. I wonder how many sales are lost or buyers reputations shredded by such activity.

•••
That's pretty bad. Basically a broker is putting your reputation on the line by asking for more money when you've already agreed a price. I wonder how many sales are lost or buyers reputations shredded by such activity.

While I have 2 huge potential problems with this transaction (mentioned above). I don't have a problem with this part. The broker went back and got the after commission price requested by the seller.

The problem was *IF* the broker wrote / sent this in it's entirely:

Buyers offer $400.00
Commission rate 15%

If the broker sent that (specifically the part in red) to the seller then there is a communication error on the broker's side that should be corrected by giving the seller his $340 for the sale.

The increase from $300 to $400 clearly was done in good faith to get the seller what he wanted after commission. (although still a potential communication error that should be corrected, it's not all that serious a mistake since the $175 is written in the TOS).

Again though .. where I have another (2nd and separate) huge potential issue is on the broker's other change of price .. from $2000 down to $750 .. if that was done before the seller ok'ed either the $300 or $400 (or obviously $750) .. then that is an extremely serious breach of broker trust/ethics.

However .. if he simply said he "thinks" he can get the seller down to $750 .. then that's significantly less of a big deal.

I would seriously think it would be best to CLEARLY copy/paste ALL the emails in question (in their entirety) including headers with date/time stamps (just edit down the email addresses of the buyer) BEFORE really making a judgement either way on what happened here.

Last edited:
•••
Recieved $209 this morning via PP from Uni
If I run a business and i would read so much bad publicity about my company ,which reputation iis not the best at all times ,I would be in a hurry to correct it some how and contact the seller to make some sort of deal .
I would have certainly posted that if that would occur .
No replies from Frank S or anybody else

•••
You have to provide this forum with the actual full facts before slating a business - if what @Jeffrey Gabriel is saying is the correct version of events.

I get that the OP is gutted because he sold the domain for way less than the asking price. But I would also add that if you set a 'minimum offer' then uni reg shouldn't be trying to sell so far below it.

Salesmen/women, will always ride the line of right and wrong - especially in a high pressure sales environment such as this. The lad at uni reg, Chris, is probably targeted with a certain number of sales each wk/mo and if he doesn't get them, he's out of a job!

My two cents

Hi
""I get that the OP is gutted because he sold the domain for way less than the asking price.""
I have over 1200 domains with Uni ,of which most will be transfered to EPIK.com when renewal time arrives,sometimes i just put a min asking price ,although the broker is not expected the know that is ,that ALL my domains have been handregistered,so i am definately not dissapointed at the price i recieved.

•••
Oh man, uniregistry set my alarm bells off from day one. Please transfer your domains to the cayman islands!! Really, you want me to do that?

Seriously guys and gals.... I always say, no good can come of that. In the long run they are untouchable and I wonder how long it will be until we read about a big domain loss or somethin at uniregistry.

•••
escrow does not transfer funds to overseas sellers,as i understand
Are you saying escrow.com does not disburse funds via intl. wire transfer? That sounds silly, but if that is the case then that is what is called the cost of doing business. You have to use what works, and usually less options, means higher costs. I have worked with Chris on a few 5 figure deals, he’s a honest young guy, I really think the whole platform fee got overlooked, as he was trying to get what you wanted. Speaking from my experiences, I haven’t had any where I can say I was amen advantage of.

My biggest pet peeve is maybe when they use the line, would you be interested in another domain more so in your budget to my lead that they are following up on.

Another pet peeve is after the broker is done with your lead, and given up on it, you have no way to bring it back into your inventory. It keeps getting recycled, and even if brokers pas it up, and shelf it, you can’t get it back into your inventory.

Hopefully some good positive dialogue can come from this, I feel if you are paying a broker 15 percent, maybe they should cover the payment processing charges I guess would be the consensus of this conversation. Sellers would be all for this, the house would be against as each has their economic constraints for it.

Last edited:
•••
I liked Uniregistry until I sold a domain there and they have a hidden credit card swipe fee of $25 that I wasn't aware of.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back