IT.COM

More Sales if: Make Offer or Fixed Price?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Strategy for More Domain Sales - How to set the price?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Make Offer - then negotiate back and forth after first offer

votes
    28.6%
  • Make Offer - then move domains to auction

votes
    0.0%
  • Fixed price

votes
    71.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
I was wondering what is the best strategy to price your domains to auction them off at sedo, afternic, etc.

If I want my domains to go to auction after it gets offer, should I list as:

- make offer, or
- price the domains?

Also which is more effective to get more sales: make offer or pricing the domains?

Please share your experience.

Thanks.
________

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm more of a buyer than a seller, and 'make offer' to me usually means the seller has an unrealistic price in mind so now I rarely (if ever) submit bids against domains without a price.

•••
If you want to sell domain fast it is better to set a fixed price, but if you want to hold this domain and just to know value of it you can put it to "make an offer".

•••
Fixed price, no one likes making offers

•••
Fixed price option means you'll only accept the offer you have in mind for the domain you are selling and so it can take a very long time to sell it this way. On the other hand, with "make offer" option you get to hear from interested buyers and how much THEY are willing to pay.

•••
•••
S~ said:
I'm more of a buyer than a seller, and 'make offer' to me usually means the seller has an unrealistic price in mind so now I rarely (if ever) submit bids against domains without a price.

No offense, but that sounds like a really flawed strategy you have, since it costs you nothing and wastes only seconds to submit an offer. If they don't respond to your offer, oh well. If they do respond and ask for more than you are willing to pay, then ignore them.

BTW, not all "make offer" sellers are looking for sky-high prices. In fact, many of them are just looking to dump it but just don't want to screw themselves by naming a price outright.

DJ-Sound said:
Fixed price, no one likes making offers

That's not true at all.

AHA7 said:
Fixed price option means you'll only accept the offer you have in mind for the domain you are selling and so it can take a very long time to sell it this way.

Again, this is also not true. I can't tell you how many times I have set a fixed price and have been asked if I will take a lower price, and how many times I have asked others if they will take a lower price on their fixed price.

You have to understand that when people are selling things (anything) and they set a fixed price, they usually set it just a little higher to account for lower offers they know they are gong to get and which they might actually settle for.

I use both FP and MO for selling domains. It really matters on the domain and the situation and other factor. I won't go into detail because that would not be smart. :hehe:

Last edited:
•••
EbookLover said:
No offense, but that sounds like a really flawed strategy you have, since it costs you nothing and wastes only seconds to submit an offer. If they don't respond to your offer, oh well. If they do respond and ask for more than you are willing to pay, then ignore them.

BTW, not all "make offer" sellers are looking for sky-high prices. In fact, many of them are just looking to dump it but just don't want to screw themselves by naming a price outright.

No offense taken. Experience has taught me that 'make offer' usually means unrealistic expectations- obviously that's not always the case, but I'm not going to waste my precious time (even if it is just seconds) negotiating from a blind starting point. If there was a name that I must have, then it might be different.
My main point is, most of my purchases are for development projects/ideas, (very little of what I buy is for resale) so as a 'domainer' I'm further down the chain than most and closer to being an end user. Someone who buys and sells may like all the negotiating, but I like to see price expectations, and tailor my offers so that the negotiating is kept to a minimum- that's if there is any at all (if the price looks fair I'll pay the BIN price).

•••
Fixed price is the fastest but regular adjusting of the fixed price is often required as the domain market changes a lot. This is a pain if you have a large portfolio and so I have moved away from this.

•••
Sid,

you got stlye. You can view my names anyday, (tell me first so I can place a price on them, lol.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back