NameSilo

.mobi .MOBI vs. .COM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MeekAlvarez.com

Account Closed
Impact
How does the world perceive .com? (global NP'ers please input)

Is .com really a global TLD?

Isn't the .com mostly dominated by American companies?
And grudgingly considered an American brand (or American internet) by foreigners?

Why does a country have to have"abc.com.cn"? There is no .com.us?

Is getting the whole world to agree on one internet system a great challenge at this time due to some of these issues?
----------------------------------------------

On the other hand, 10+ years later after the .com, .mobi is more global?
(China was the third largest country to register .mobi so far I hear?)
People in Latin America, Africa, Asia are much more likely to have a cellphone than own a computer?

Some food for thought..

(BTW I like ICANN)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've done a bit of traveling and .com is big everywhere I have been. Although in other countries their cctld can be just as good whereas here very few people know of the .us extension. Thats just my experience your results may vary :)

The one great thing about .mobi is that it IS global. Resellers could see this as a good thing because you have all the other tlds potentialy competing to get the .mobi. Personally though I want to develope mine. I think the ad revenue would be great, and a steady monthly income of ad revenue is much more appealing to me than a one time sale. I don't have any .com names that are begging for developement, as none of them get much traffic on their own. If .mobi takes off, I KNOW that many of my .mobi names will get a ton of type in traffic, so I will defintaly want to develope those.

•••
MeekAlvarez.com said:
How does the world perceive .com? (global NP'ers please input)

I was in India in July and .com was by far the #1 TLD over there (.co.in was a distant 2nd)

•••
.mobi is the natural evolution of the internet and that's a good point about other countries having more cellphones than computers.

There will be a .mobi executive at TRAFFIC and I will ask him about the hierarchy of registrants by country.

•••
The dot com's are the favoured tld of many countries.

All tld's have the benefit of allowing both mobile and pc viewable sites on them as dictated by the surfer, apart from .mobi which has to have a dedicated mobile site only.

•••
If I remember correctly .com stands for commercial, like .org or .gov and not only for US companies. And that's how it is perceived here in Holland (and most of europe if I'm correct). Even european companies are slowly turning to .com. If you go to philips.nl or klm.nl (two of the largest dutch companies) you get redirected to their .com site. We notice the majority of US sites because even searching for dutch words mostly returns .com results, but that is accounted to the 300+ million US citizins (was on the news here too) compared to the 16 million dutch. I think with about 50% of my searches I add "site:.nl" to get the results I want.

The advantage of using .nl (or .com.cn) is that you know it is from your country. It makes searching easier. I think the same thing as .com will happen to .mobi and people won't see it as a US tld. There were even some dutch words in the premium list (but lucky for me they forgot a few :sold: )

•••
Kwan

I typed HOLLAND into my keyboard and to my dibelief it had been snapped up and NOT in the premium list. I would loved to have had that one!!! GADVER!!!- i mean DOH! :(

Last edited:
•••
I'm with you, I didn't prereg any dot mobis but now I realize I could have had some sweet premium names had I known more of the extension early on.

•••
panman said:
Kwan

I typed HOLLAND into my keyboard and to my dibelief it had been snapped up and NOT in the premium list. I would loved to have had that one!!! GADVER!!!- i mean DOH! :(

You should have asked :) I have a truck load of dutch names. The one I will be developing first is smsdaten.mobi.

But if you look hard there are still a few good dutch ones left. The one I really liked (but I promised myself i would really quit now), is sint.mobi :D

•••
Holland.mobi appears to be a pool caught name that they are auctioning? Wonder why .mobi allowed that when eurid and nic.in did not allow it for their names- oh - silly me $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

.mobi vs .com

.com

load of other tlds

.mobi JMO

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back