NameSilo

question .Global vs. .World

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Carlton

Internet Real EstateVIP Member
Impact
I'm curious what distinctions members see between these two tld's. I happen to like them both although they're fairly similar. .World has some recent Chinese registration momentum that I don't see happening yet with .global. Maybe that's a language issue? I don't know.

Growing up, I remember hearing "World" more as in The Seattle Worlds Fair or The Best In the World. But then "Global" came on strong when the internet proliferated. Makes me wonder which word is more prominently used today, and what factors push that.

Right now there are 43,963 .world registrations to 28,729 .global registrations. I would have sort of expected the opposite of this given the broad use of the word "global".

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'd prefer .world

though .global would work for worldwide business or finance company, it's more official sounding

•••
•••
point there two is the problem maybe best have your name in both tld.

I like both

•••
I also kind like both of them but I guess it depends on the name of the business and also the type of business...

I think like @hugegrowth said.. for a finance or worldwide business .global does have more appeal than .world

•••
•••
global sounding better then world.

•••
Both are in my top 5 new G's so I like them both. .GLOBAL is maybe a bit more official but for anything fun, entertainment or ecommerce/online service related I'd go with .WORLD.

•••
I prefer. World

I used to own parcel.world bought it for reg fee and let it expire I do wish I hadn't lol

Currently for sale at 2k but eventually someone will create a parcel based tech start up possibly on this. World domain lol

Last edited:
•••
I prefer. World

I used to own parcel.world bought it for reg fee and let it expire I do wish I hadn't lol

Currently for sale at 2k but eventually someone will create a parcel based tech start up possibly on this. World domain lol

Mine now :)

•••
•••
•••
.world are $2 at Uniregistry now, dont know for how long

•••
I prefer. World

I think both are awesome but each of them works better in specific context... like for example:

Auto.Global
...not really but Auto.World ... Yeah!

Same goes for:
Consulting.World..not really but Consulting.Global...Yeah!

•••
I like .global but for tech niche I would go with .world

I wish .global renewals werent so high...

•••
I like .global but for tech niche I would go with .world

I wish .global renewals werent so high...

The good thing though is that .Global premium domains still renew at normal renewal fees unlike many of the other nGTLD's which renew at premium prices as well...

The normal renewal is a little steep $60-$90 depends which registrar you use....I guess a business that has a Global presence is prob not going to be too perturbed by a $60-$90 renewal fee...but for us domainers those sorta renewal fees can be a bit hectic, especially if you have lots of .global domains in your portfolio.

•••
The good thing though is that .Global premium domains still renew at normal renewal fees unlike many of the other nGTLD's which renew at premium prices as well...

The normal renewal is a little steep $60-$90 depends which registrar you use....I guess a business that has a Global presence is prob not going to be too perturbed by a $60-$90 renewal fee...but for us domainers those sorta renewal fees can be a bit hectic, especially if you have lots of .global domains in your portfolio.

Pretty spot on my friend! 100% agree!

•••
Bought it two months ago or so I think.

That's about right the year I had it plus two months option to renew it then expire plus your two months or so about 15 months approx

Did you buy it at reg fee?

•••
•••
•••
$60 to $90 renewal is outrageous. How many are going to sell for that? People see $10 .com and expect to pay that. Many people won't even pay $50 for a great .com! What are the .global people thinking?

•••
The problem with buying gtlds with expensive renewals at promotional prices is selling them on with the buyer having to pay full renewal 1 yr fee of $50 etc and many not wanting too

•••
$60 to $90 renewal is outrageous. How many are going to sell for that? People see $10 .com and expect to pay that. Many people won't even pay $50 for a great .com! What are the .global people thinking?

Keep in mind though that the premium domains renew at standard renewal rates...so that's a bonus compared to many of the other nGTLD's...

As mentioned earlier...I think $60-$90 is a bit steep for us domainers but for the types of end users who would go for a .global domain, I don't think they would be phased too much. Just sucks for us domainers if we have lots of .global domains...

It's been pulling some decent sales figures:
https://namebio.com/?s==YDNzQzM5ATM

•••
That's about right the year I had it plus two months option to renew it then expire plus your two months or so about 15 months approx

Did you buy it at reg fee?

Yes.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back