IT.COM

.mobi MOBI vs COM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi guys is it possible to start a debate about the mighty .com vs .mobi ?

I believe that .mobi will become far stronger than the .com in the next few years.

One of my main reasons for believing this is as follows;

1. The ratio of mobile phones to pc's.

2. The restrictions of employers allowing their staff the use of pc's. Time is money!

3. The screen size restrictions of mobile phone's.

4. The lack of time available in a day to access home pc's. Kids are always on the pc.

5. The mobile phone technology is getting better exponentially.

6. I am sure the carbon footprint of a mobile is less than a pc.

7. There is only one domain extension designed for the mobile, but many extension's for pc's. I would say watering down the value of domains with multiple extension's. This maybe why some people are so negative about .mobi's.

please feel free to add more to this debate.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This thread needs some humour... I was checking on a mobi I'm interested in buying and when I checked to see if the PR was valid the checker stated:
"Please enter a valid URL"

Haha silly people.

•••
whitebark said:
This thread needs some humour... I was checking on a mobi I'm interested in buying and when I checked to see if the PR was valid the checker stated:

Haha silly people.
I ran into that at yahoo in the early days, their forms checker wouldn't recognize a .mobi e-mail as valid for signing up for services.

•••
iNod said:
I have marked this thread as heated. Please remember this is a dicussion, please don't personally attack anyone.

- Steve

Didn't mean for it to get heated or to be perceived as an attack on anyone, I do apologize if my comments came out as a personal attack on any one person or group. My comment was more directed to stating definitives.

I only mentioned it because the future is so uncertain and unpredictable. There was a time (pre-bubble burst 2000/ pre-911 world) when if you had asked me, I would have adamantly argued that the tech industry would never face a slowdown period ever; that it would only grow because tech was our future. And I didn't foresee any economic slowdowns. I was a bit naive and I have learned my lesson since then. My comment was more of a reflection of the person I was and the person I am- not meant to attack on anyone. However, I do apologize if anyone was offended.

----
NOTE:
Oopsy, noticed an error in my first post. Hope that wasn't misinterpreted. I begun with "INHO:". I meant "IMHO = In My Humble Opinion", that "n" key is way to close to "m".

Makes a world of difference. :hehe:
----
If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost. -Zig Ziglar

Last edited:
•••
iNod said:
I have marked this thread as heated. Please remember this is a dicussion, please don't personally attack anyone.

- Steve
It seems to me that up to this point everyone has been expressing their opinion or disagreement in a civil and professional manner.

•••
oldtimer said:
It seems to me that up to this point everyone has been expressing their opinion or disagreement in a civil and professional manner.
I agree, perhaps it was a preemptive move trying to keep the peace.

•••
Reece said:
I just don't know why people have such overinflated expectations... You regged a name for $10 and expect it to be worth $1,000,000 overnight? I would be extremely happy if over time, every single .mobi was worth the equivalent of .net. If you stop and think about it for a bit -- those of us who've been involved in domaining for awhile... How many extensions have even had that honor? THAT, IMO, is success. You have 250+ extensions out there that will NEVER be worth more than .net. If you really thought .mobi was going to succeed, why not invest XXXX or XX,XXX, rather than investing low XXX and saying you'll make millions when it becomes bigger than .com?

I'll give you the biggest tip I've learnt in all my years of investing -- the more you invest (soundly invest), the more you make. End of story.

To me, I consider .mobi a success, because I have lower (I'd say, more reasonable) expectations. I'm making more on my .mobis than I ever made on parked .infos... When we look at all the domain sales reported week after week, .mobi fares better than about 96% of the extensions out there -- to me, that's success. If you define success as being greater than .com, sadly, I think you're wasting your time. If you define success as making 10-fold what you invested, then I think you've made the right choice to invest in .mobi.

Okay, I can tell your comments were directed to what I said. I didn't mean to imply that it would be overnight, my comment was directed to over inflation of the dot com, thus making the dot mobi more appealing (considerably to what dot coms sell today). I am going by what Rick stated in one of the traffic conferences, which is that dot com may reach valuation being 100x or more for x amount of months of revenue for x amount of ppc, which is one of the mathematical formulas being used my some. So, if this would cause dot com to reach the billion dollar value mark, and say the dot mobi is roughly being sold for 1-10% that value- I can easily see a company going the mobi way or any other extension for that matter, thus causing a slow economic period and value drop for the dot com (thus the real estate price correction analogy). That was what I was saying, but it also could be that dot coms strength may very well overcome this, since the future is so unpredictable. But ultimately the market will be the determining factor. :)

whitebark said:

Haha silly people.

That is funny! Haha, now that we are talking jokes and humor...I wonder what would be a domainer's reaction to an invalid domains in their portfolios around april fools day. Yikes! I know I wouldn't be too thrilled, but I'm sure I would be able to laugh about it, afterwards. (way way afterwards, lol) :hehe:

•••
DBADT2007 said:
Okay, I can tell your comments were directed to what I said. I didn't mean to imply that it would be overnight, my comment was directed to over inflation of the dot com, thus making the dot mobi more appealing (considerably to what dot coms sell today). I am going by what Rick stated in one of the traffic conferences, which is that dot com may reach valuation being 100x or more for x amount of months of revenue for x amount of ppc, which is one of the mathematical formulas being used my some. So, if this would cause dot com to reach the billion dollar value mark, and say the dot mobi is roughly being sold for 1-10% that value- I can easily see a company going the mobi way or any other extension for that matter, thus causing a slow economic period and value drop for the dot com (thus the real estate price correction analogy). That was what I was saying, but it also could be that dot coms strength may very well overcome this, since the future is so unpredictable. But ultimately the market will be the determining factor. :)

Rick is mostly likely correct in making that statement...

Rule of 72 says take the interest rate, divide it into 72 and you have the amount of years it will take to double. Conversely, we can figure out our interest rate by knowing the amount of time it will take to double. If we take the current ~ 6 years revenue = 72x monthly earnings, we obtain a 12% annual ROI (72/12 = 6 years and 6*12 = 72). This is considered a good return in the stock market. If we now factor in the estimated future traffic increases due to computers decreasing in price, bandwidth becoming more cost effective and available in third world countries, and new technology, it's not hard to imagine how 100x monthly revenue is actually a bargain.

•••
Reece said:
Rick is mostly likely correct in making that statement...

Rule of 72 says take the interest rate, divide it into 72 and you have the amount of years it will take to double. Conversely, we can figure out our interest rate by knowing the amount of time it will take to double. If we take the current ~ 6 years revenue = 72x monthly earnings, we obtain a 12% annual ROI (72/12 = 6 years and 6*12 = 72). This is considered a good return in the stock market. If we now factor in the estimated future traffic increases due to computers decreasing in price, bandwidth becoming more cost effective and available in third world countries, and new technology, it's not hard to imagine how 100x monthly revenue is actually a bargain.

Agreed, one of the reasons I quoted Rick. And one of the reasons IMHO why Rick's purchase of Flowers.mobi for $200k was a sound investment (while DriedFlowers.mobi, may not be even worth reg fees). This is also why, I have stated that realestate.mobi was in fact undervalued on its sale (due to the current housing market condition). Once the housing market picks up, the value of this domain will pick up, as well.

Choosing mobi domains wisely would be the key and not all uses can be covered by this extension. But that applies to any domain investment really. :)

•••
DBADT2007 said:
Agreed, one of the reasons I quoted Rick. And one of the reasons IMHO why Rick's purchase of Flowers.mobi for $200k was a sound investment (while DriedFlowers.mobi, may not be even worth reg fees). This is also why, I have stated that realestate.mobi was in fact undervalued on its sale (due to the current housing market condition). Once the housing market picks up, the value of this domain will pick up, as well.

Choosing mobi domains wisely would be the key and not all uses can be covered by this extension. But that applies to any domain investment really. :)

The problem with other extensions is that .com has been branded deeply into all of our heads. Often when I'm looking for a .ca (I live in Canada), .net, or even a .mobi, I'll type in the .com -- sometimes when I'm looking to check up on one of my own .net, .ca, or .mobi, I'll still accidentally type in the .com... I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this -- indeed, the whole type-in traffic theme is based on people typing .coms...

Mtld has a bit of an advantage over the likes of .net, .info, .biz, ... in that .mobi is synonymous with mobile, whereas .com is not. Mtld and corporations alike will need to get that point across to consumers if we are to see any X,XXX,XXX sales that aren't domainer to domainer (realistically, speculator to speculator).

•••
Eh!.. "going by an American speak" lol.. So where abouts, I never actually knew that.

- Steve

•••
Whats com????????????????

•••
Reece said:
The problem with other extensions is that .com has been branded deeply into all of our heads. Often when I'm looking for a .ca (I live in Canada), .net, or even a .mobi, I'll type in the .com -- sometimes when I'm looking to check up on one of my own .net, .ca, or .mobi, I'll still accidentally type in the .com... I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this -- indeed, the whole type-in traffic theme is based on people typing .coms...

Mtld has a bit of an advantage over the likes of .net, .info, .biz, ... in that .mobi is synonymous with mobile, whereas .com is not. Mtld and corporations alike will need to get that point across to consumers if we are to see any X,XXX,XXX sales that aren't domainer to domainer (realistically, speculator to speculator).

Yep, I totally agree with you Reece. Got give it to the marketing/advertising companies. Although, I don't assume "company" dot com, when typing web addresses- I will typically try out first a dot com, then other extensions. Now if its an organization- I will think about dot org first, so it does kind of depend, but if its a company definitely try out dot com, first. Now, if I am in a foreign country I will sort of go into the foreign cctld mindset, go figure. lol

Now if the .mobi can be branded to phones just as well as .com to pcs, then there might be something there. In the meantime, dot mobi is still to young, but it seems to want to grow up to be just as big as its big brother, dot com. The only challenger to .mobi that I see at the moment is .tel, which could surprise us. You just never know. I still don't know why we need two tld (either .mobi or .tel- just choose one. lol) but that is just a whole new debate. :)

On another note, I think Canada is cool. I definitely need to take some time to visit Canada. :)

•••
•••
binaryman said:

Got to love the dot com bias- however, soon we will turn the dot com people into dot mobi fans. :hehe:

I did review Frank's impressions (April 13, 2007) which you referenced, now fast forward to about a month or so of the article your citing (May 16, 2007) and you will see that Frank is now keeping an eye on dot mobi. Why, you ask? Could it be because one-fifth the size of the pc market in the UK is about the current size of the mobile market in the UK? Hmm, something for the dot com people to ponder. :)

http://dotmobi.typepad.com/dotmobi/2007/05/mobile_web_audi.html

So its time to get inspired dot mobi fans...cause dot mobi is getting serious. :hehe:

-----
If you want to reach a goal, you must "see the reaching" in your own mind before you actually arrive at your goal. -Zig Ziglar

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back