IT.COM

.mobi .mobi dead or .mobi on NP dead ?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I visited here every day.But seems no more news here.

.mobi dead or .mobi on NP dead ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
re: whoever is using the name dotcomisdead.. not sure how you expect anyone to take you seriously with a name like that unless it is just a sarcastic joke. i have a pretty good idea who you are but your forum username is a good way to get everyone to ignore your posts.

Hi Mj,
You'll be glad to hear that I don't actually think that dotcom is dead, as a dotmobi "addict" I just wanted to make a statement that caught peoples attention. :gn:

It's not so much sarcasm as a) showing a sense of humour & b) being ironic :hehe:
(I might say dotasia is dead if I wanted to be sarcastic but as Scandi pointed out earlier, we don't go around sniping at other extensions just for the 'sport')

I don't know if anyone takes me seriously but given Ricks blog re; his 10th sale (in ten years) it shows that the long game is the winning game, having the discipline and commitment to go against the grain and against current wisdom is more important to me than what other forum members think of me.. I neither follow nor lead.. I listen to others and welcome their input but I make my own decisions. I do hope that my posts get read by others but only as part of a nutritious and balanced diet. :imho:

:snaphappy:

•••
My biggest concern with investing in dot mobi would be the release of future extensions which could rival it, given that it has already been around for a few years and as mentioned in previous posts, not yet gained a significant foothold.
There is talk of extensions to fit your brand becoming available, how about the mobile phone manufacturers having their own extensions?

•••
My biggest concern with investing in dot mobi would be the release of future extensions which could rival it, given that it has already been around for a few years and as mentioned in previous posts, not yet gained a significant foothold.
There is talk of extensions to fit your brand becoming available, how about the mobile phone manufacturers having their own extensions?

TLD dilution will happen to some extent... but what ICANN has said is that no similar TLD's can be added.. i dont have the link right now but i remember reading it in one of their official documents. i know icann has had a shady history among domainers but there is supposed to be that policy in place. we'll see how it pans out though i guess..

dotdomisdead: i know exactly who you are now sir. wanna bet $50 again? ;) :snaphappy:

p.s. (this time you gotta pay me)

•••
No it's not just .mobi, .tel fostered a few heated debates too :hehe:

Don't get me started on .tel >.<

It should be a crime punishable by death to even mention .tel in the same breath as .mobi.

•••
TLD dilution will happen to some extent... but what ICANN has said is that no similar TLD's can be added.. i dont have the link right now but i remember reading it in one of their official documents. i know icann has had a shady history among domainers but there is supposed to be that policy in place. we'll see how it pans out though i guess..

This is what I have put a certain degree of faith in...

[/QUOTE]dotdomisdead: i know exactly who you are now sir. wanna bet $50 again? ;) :snaphappy:

p.s. (this time you gotta pay me) [/QUOTE]

I don't believe that we have ever wagered a bet.... I recall you made a bet regarding the lll.mobi sell-out but not with me... pm if you like - via another place if you prefer.

•••
Don't get me started on .tel >.<

It should be a crime punishable by death to even mention .tel in the same breath as .mobi.

It's a pity you just did then aint it :lol:-, please choose your preffered choice of death :hehe:

•••
Don't them ads look pwitty :kickass:

It is somewhat a statement about the extension that people would even bother taking a photos of a .mobi ad and posting them up. I saw a .cc domain on a billboard the other day so maybe I should take a pic of that. Would it be a sign of a healthy tld or would the mere fact that a .mobi ad is "newsworthy" be saying something else?

Imagine if someone posted about how they saw a .com, .co.uk or .ca url? That would be about the most boring thread ever.

•••
Considering 2 of his domain sales account for a whopping 80% of his total sales dollars, I'm not really sure we can tell much from Rick's success. Obviously he's an outlier in that he got in at the right time, had plenty of money to begin with and hence was in no rush to quickly sell and could thus afford to wait for the right opportunity to present itself (which in his case happened -- doesn't always happen though). He is also much better at negotiating than most of the people on this board.

Do a google search on e-buy.com and how one dotcom boom deluded man's dream cost him a few million.

Hi Mj,
You'll be glad to hear that I don't actually think that dotcom is dead, as a dotmobi "addict" I just wanted to make a statement that caught peoples attention. :gn:

It's not so much sarcasm as a) showing a sense of humour & b) being ironic :hehe:
(I might say dotasia is dead if I wanted to be sarcastic but as Scandi pointed out earlier, we don't go around sniping at other extensions just for the 'sport')

I don't know if anyone takes me seriously but given Ricks blog re; his 10th sale (in ten years) it shows that the long game is the winning game, having the discipline and commitment to go against the grain and against current wisdom is more important to me than what other forum members think of me.. I neither follow nor lead.. I listen to others and welcome their input but I make my own decisions. I do hope that my posts get read by others but only as part of a nutritious and balanced diet. :imho:

•••
Frankly, the best strategy would have been to not bother with all the selling to domainers and rather, to focus on selling the telecoms on the idea.

I'm not sure there would be alot of money in that personally. Telecoms aren't going to bring them millions in registration fees. Domainerss are the #1 target market for any new tld in my view.

Even the biggest .mobi naysayer is probably willing to admit the extension would have had a fighting chance had a .mobi button appeared on phones (and I'm not talking 1 model here).

Why would any of them adopt a .mobi button? It would be a bit like asking google for a free link on their homepage, sure it sounds nice from the perspective of the person getting the free promotion but it makes no business sense for the person giving away the free advertising.

•••
Yes, I completely agree with you Snoop -- I meant the best strategy if they actually wanted the extension to become popular. Of course reserving 5000 premium domains, selling them off one by one, and focusing all energy on getting domainers invested in the extension really was genius on their part... Not good for the .mobi ecosystem however.

I'm not sure there would be alot of money in that personally. Telecoms aren't going to bring them millions in registration fees. Domainerss are the #1 target market for any new tld in my view.

Why would any of them adopt a .mobi button? It would be a bit like asking google for a free link on their homepage, sure it sounds nice from the perspective of the person getting the free promotion but it makes no business sense for the person giving away the free advertising.

I would liken it more to making Google the default search engine on a cell phone. Seeing as Nokia was the first to even suggest the idea of a mobile domain name extension..

It is somewhat a statement about the extension that people would even bother taking a photos of a .mobi ad and posting them up. I saw a .cc domain on a billboard the other day so maybe I should take a pic of that. Would it be a sign of a healthy tld or would the mere fact that a .mobi ad is "newsworthy" be saying something else?

Imagine if someone posted about how they saw a .com, .co.uk or .ca url? That would be about the most boring thread ever.

Availability heuristic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :)

•••
Yes, I completely agree with you Snoop -- I meant the best strategy if they actually wanted the extension to become popular. Of course reserving 5000 premium domains and selling them off one by one really was genius on their part... Certainly not good for the .mobi ecosystem however.

Yeah, I guess the thing is the registry is really out to maximise profits which doesn't necessarily mean making the extension as popular as possible. I don't think they can really be blamed for acting in their own and shareholders interests, ie not in the interest of domainers (who are the customers).

•••

You can try to deny the evidence, you can try and spin it, but that won't take down all those ads for NV.mobi at Las Vegas' international airport that millions of people will see. It is somewhat of a statement about naysayers like yourself who try to spin compelling evidence of .mobi usage into some fan boy put down.

BTW, the pictures are from the Nevada Tourism Bureau themselves, do you also consider them .mobi fanboyz?

Keep an eye out at the ATM if you bank at Bank of America, you may see yet another new .mobi promotion staring back at you...

bofa_atm.jpg

And just so you know, I couldn't care less what you find boring, your entertainment is not my concern.

Last edited:
•••
yahoo gets y.mobi ,

google gets g.mobi

.mobi button comes out

3G fee go down and content environment mature

.mobi sure popular

•••
•••
•••
domainer pipedreams. 8^X
Yea, I think you're right. All good things if they were to happen but to pin ones hopes on such things seems pretty unreasonable to me.

•••

You may mock... & indeed it would be ridiculous to post every time you saw a dotcom mentioned in an advert..

But.. I recall looking out for urls mentioned on the sides of trucks on my regular jaunts up & down the UK motorway network and I can tell you, it wasn't long ago that most trucks were just sign written with "name" + "phone number"
Nowadays you can see urls all over trucks and vans and not give them a second thought.... at the moment it is a 'big deal' when we spot a dotmobi ad... I'm hoping that it won't be long until we look at these ads and take them for granted... but of course, until that happens you are welcome to mock our enthusiasm if that's what floats your boat.

•••
what i said above post, all are benefit for users

yahoo and google ,both of them are top alexa 2,they have thousands of users,whether they get one character .mobi is

not my matter

and I would like others call me webmaster ,not domainer

•••
ok "webmaster" pipedreams then... you just strung together 3 events that may never happen.. so why get your hopes up?

hang out here in reality for a while - its nice here.

•••
what i said above post, all are benefit for users

yahoo and google ,both of them are top alexa 2,they have thousands of users,whether they get one character .mobi is

not my matter

and I would like others call me webmaster ,not domainer[/QUOTE

Last edited:
•••
Greetings Webmaster,

Problem is that g00gle pulled out of mobile search last year, I dont recall the exact reason, but they must have a good one.

LOL... what?

google pulled out of mobile search? as in, they no longer have interest in mobile search? what are you talking about man?

•••
LOL... what?

google pulled out of mobile search? as in, they no longer have interest in mobile search? what are you talking about man?

?

Last edited:
•••
•••
There is truth to what Snoop is saying -- I posted it earlier and will link to it again: Availability heuristic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People remember really good or really bad things much better than everything neutral (eg. .com domain ads) and irrationally apply statistics which predict the likelihood of an event (say, .mobi attaining X% market share) as being much higher than it actually is.

Would you believe falling coconuts kill more people each year than sharks do?

You may mock... & indeed it would be ridiculous to post every time you saw a dotcom mentioned in an advert..

But.. I recall looking out for urls mentioned on the sides of trucks on my regular jaunts up & down the UK motorway network and I can tell you, it wasn't long ago that most trucks were just sign written with "name" + "phone number"
Nowadays you can see urls all over trucks and vans and not give them a second thought.... at the moment it is a 'big deal' when we spot a dotmobi ad... I'm hoping that it won't be long until we look at these ads and take them for granted... but of course, until that happens you are welcome to mock our enthusiasm if that's what floats your boat.

•••
please disregard my last 2 posts. :notme:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back