IT.COM

Meta keywords are back?

Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi all,

Just noticed this post over at webproworld.

If like me, you thought that meta keywords were a thing of the past it might be time to think again.
What are your thoughts?

http://webproworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=29711

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was thinking they were a thing from the past, but it depends for what search engine they were used for.

•••
I really never stopped using my meta tags - Some Engines have always worked better this way for me ~

•••
rondo said:
Hi all,

Just noticed this post over at webproworld.

If like me, you thought that meta keywords were a thing of the past it might be time to think again.

never knew they were out of date! how do search engine index without meta tags?

•••
Not sure why anyone would think META tags were out of date... :-/

•••
I never stopped using them, either, but they are by far one of the easiest exploitable elements in a web site, for seo purposes. The user doesn't even see them so one can effectively stuff a gazillion unrelated keywords there. I doubt very much meta keywords will do you any help nowadays. The Yahoo engineer quoted in the article clearly makes the distintion that they will help you

for matching - not ranking

Not very help you if your website ranks #25000 for that particular keyword, the user will never find your site down there :| However, if your site already ranks well for its own merits (content relevant to the query) then I agree that it can be an extra bonus to have related meta keywords.

•••
redhippo said:
never knew they were out of date! how do search engine index without meta tags?

SOme were of the opinion that google ingored meta tags. But for me, i was always indexed through my meta tags only.

i never use description in meta tags. Rather i use my meta keywords itself.

•••
They are very telling of the intent of the site when you pull one up on whois.sc that uses them. I have continued to use them as some indexes including dmoz use them to soem extent.

•••
There are plenty of search engines that still spider meta tags.....like most I always put them up

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back