IT.COM

discuss The Sad Growing Trend of Sharing Among Domainers.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have noticed a trend with so much disbelief in what some domainers have turned this once data-driven industry into.

Every domainer owes their credit to one fundamental fact: They got into domaining when they SAW what others were sharing with sales reports through a community like NamePros.

I personally started here because of the sales report shared here. LungioMike Helped me when I started with all his shared sales. I was motivated to give it a try because of his reports and those from others here. I also believe that this is the same for ALL domainers...

On Twitter, I am seeing a growing trend among domainers, spearheaded by two or three BIG sellers. To give you an idea of this effect, a new guy who has less than a year in the domain industry has also joined the train of blurring out what he sold.

Don't get me wrong. I can't tell you what to do with your domain sales but I feel it is wrong to share what will not benefit anyone or the domain community in general. It would be prudent to keep the sales TOTALLY private and not bring it to the public, instead of uploading screenshots and blurring out the name sold.

I also noticed that a very top domainer ( for the first time in many years) has not shared his sales for months since 2023. I have a feeling that this new trend might be the reason he is keeping his sales off. I reached out to him once because I love visiting his blog just to read about his sales. He said there had been no sales and somehow, I found that hard to believe. It has been over 7 months and I have not read anything from him on his blog with respect to his sales. I just feel he might have chosen to keep his sale completely private because of this trend. It has never happened since I started following up on him.

Whenever I see this current trend, one thing I ask myself is: If the guys that started before you never shared their sales reports, would have had the motivation to start domaining?

You upload a sale with only the price and the domain name that is sold is erased. Now imagine this is what was done at the beginning, completely cutting you off any possible learning opportunity, how would that benefit you? Sometimes we need to think back to fix up.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are plenty of reasons not to share and most everyone I converse with doesn’t share sales publicly.

No one is obligated to motivate other domainers. Most take that β€œmotivationβ€œ as a cheat sheet and simply copycat. β€œI will go register that name you sold in dot io” then the buyer gets innundated by losers.

If someone redacts but says in the fashion niche 5 year hold that is value added beyond nothing. But most of the redactions are just folks who like to brag.
I was just wondering why it is becoming common. I didn't think about the privacy of the domain buyer wherein other domainers try to sell alternate names to the same buyer. If that is the case, I feel it is more prudent to keep everything from OFF public eye.

•••
The worst are the NDAs.
I wonder how much money it is to β€œbuy your silence”

I think a big part of it stems down from culture; it’s why DNJournal.com, NameBio and even Namepros are invaluable priceless resources.
I am totally fine with NDA. However, the kind of sales I talked about has no NDAs.

•••
I have been in this field for a long time. In general, the NDA thing is a load of crap.

They are not common, especially on the typical sales most domain investors are making.

If you are selling domains for six or seven figures, maybe.

No one is demanding a NDA for a $X,XXX sale. :ROFL:

Yet, I still see domain investors mention "NDA" far too often as if they are some common thing for low dollar sales.

It seems the "NDA" angle often comes up when people are pushed on their domain sale claims. It can be a convenient excuse.

Brad
:xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin: Absolutely. If you have been in the game long enough, you would know an NDA domain sale and the one the that does not have NDAs

•••
Dont belive anyting fly πŸ˜‰
Personal i stop to show my sales unless are below 100 $ πŸ˜‰
That is understandable. I would prefer your method. Keep everything private and off the public eye, not in the case where they upload screenshots with only the price and no domain name. It is annoying.

•••
Hi

the above statement is not true, for every domainer.

i started by coincidence and didn't have any prior notions, ideas or previous information about domain sales.

also, namepros didn't exist at the time.

so, if that's true for me, then it could be true for others who started same time or before me.

still, if/when someone is willing to share, then i'll take what details they divulge.

as a practice, i don't post in the "NP report your sales thread", but within a conversation that's relative, i might reveal some sales info.

some don't reveal because they don't want other domainers going after similar names or a fear that domainers will try to spam the buyer of the name, with similar names they own.
because before privacy, that was a real concern.

on other hand, you have some who may report a lot of high dollar sales, then they may get questioned by the "status quo" as to the legitimacy of them.
this puts them in situation where they have to prove something, that they could have kept to themselves.

i say,
to those that do share, it's appreciated by those who get something from it,
and to those that don't, that's cool too, because it's your prerogative to keep your sales private.

imo....
It is totally fine if one chooses to share sales once in a while. I mean a case where you have like 20 sales a year and then decide to share 5 and keep the remaining 15 private is totally fine.

However, what I am seeing and against is a case where 20 names are sold by a domainer and all 20 are blurred out. That is not cool however we look at it.

•••
However, what I am seeing and against is a case where 20 names are sold by a domainer and all 20 are blurred out. That is not cool however we look at it.
Hi

in such cases, perhaps it's best to not look at the post or follow the seller. :)

if anything, you look at the motive, and once you see it, then you'll know the m o.

just saying... is it for sharing, for publicity, click bait or something to dilate the pupils?

imo...

•••
I have noticed a trend with so much disbelief in what some domainers have turned this once data-driven industry into.

Every domainer owes their credit to one fundamental fact: They got into domaining when they SAW what others were sharing with sales reports through a community like NamePros.

I personally started here because of the sales report shared here. LungioMike Helped me when I started with all his shared sales. I was motivated to give it a try because of his reports and those from others here. I also believe that this is the same for ALL domainers...

On Twitter, I am seeing a growing trend among domainers, spearheaded by two or three BIG sellers. To give you an idea of this effect, a new guy who has less than a year in the domain industry has also joined the train of blurring out what he sold.

Don't get me wrong. I can't tell you what to do with your domain sales but I feel it is wrong to share what will not benefit anyone or the domain community in general. It would be prudent to keep the sales TOTALLY private and not bring it to the public, instead of uploading screenshots and blurring out the name sold.

I also noticed that a very top domainer ( for the first time in many years) has not shared his sales for months since 2023. I have a feeling that this new trend might be the reason he is keeping his sales off. I reached out to him once because I love visiting his blog just to read about his sales. He said there had been no sales and somehow, I found that hard to believe. It has been over 7 months and I have not read anything from him on his blog with respect to his sales. I just feel he might have chosen to keep his sale completely private because of this trend. It has never happened since I started following up on him.

Whenever I see this current trend, one thing I ask myself is: If the guys that started before you never shared their sales reports, would have had the motivation to start domaining?

You upload a sale with only the price and the domain name that is sold is erased. Now imagine this is what was done at the beginning, completely cutting you off any possible learning opportunity, how would that benefit you? Sometimes we need to think back to fix up.
I'm mostly here for the FUN regardless of individual sales. That said however, I've always found the top 100 domain sales as reported by NameBio to be one of the most fascinating reports I've ever read.

Realizing that a domain name regardless of the extension is nothing more than a means to an end had me registering trickm:xf.wink:com.....now tell that isn't FUN!

•••
I'm mostly here for the FUN regardless of individual sales. That said however, I've always found the top 100 domain sales as reported by NameBio to be one of the most fascinating reports I've ever read.

Realizing that a domain name regardless of the extension is nothing more than a means to an end had me registering trickm:xf.wink:com.....now tell that isn't FUN!
There is a difference between end-user sales and auction sales.

•••
Hi

in such cases, perhaps it's best to not look at the post or follow the seller. :)

if anything, you look at the motive, and once you see it, then you'll know the m o.

just saying... is it for sharing, for publicity, click bait or something to dilate the pupils?

imo...
I think your last paragraph settles it.

•••
There is a difference between end-user sales and auction sales.
i consider auction sales more like "wholesale" and end-user more like "retail".....apples and oranges:xf.rolleyes:

•••
i consider auction sales more like "wholesale" and end-user more like "retail".....apples and oranges:xf.rolleyes:

You'd be surprised. Savvy endusers are definitely competing with wholesale buyers nowadays.

•••
You'd be surprised. Savvy endusers are definitely competing with wholesale buyers nowadays.
While the majority of auctions might be "wholesale", this does happen.

I was in an auction with (what turned out to be) an end user for an extremely high quality single word .US, at an obscure venue of all places.

The end user ended up winning the auction in the low (5) figure range.

I think end users are becoming far more savvy in recent years.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
While the majority of auctions might be "wholesale", this does happen.

I was in an auction with (what turned out to be) an end user for an extremely high quality single word .US, at an obscure venue of all places.

The end user ended up winning the auction in the low (5) figure range.

I think end users are becoming far more savvy in recent years.

Brad

Definitely. Some might use proxies but they're getting more involved.

I believe for endusers it's a great time to cut the middle man and get involved directly to secure good domains at a fair price.

•••

A recent example of this was the August 2022 DropCatch auction for Medal.com, with an $185K winning bid placed directly by an end user.

https://domaingang.com/domain-news/medal-tv-brand-upgrade-for-185728-dollars/

Word is spreading among end users about domain auctions as venues to secure their dot-Com.

With end users competing in auctions at a growing rate, shrinking margins, activist judges and panelists helping others to steal domains from domainers; its the most competitive environment ever.

•••
It's good to see so many long-time, respected NP members commenting here.

I've shared sales data (domain name, sales price, cost of domain, venue where it sold, net proceeds after any commissions, hold time) on Twitter in the past two years but I'm done for the most part. I've been doing this a long time and my generosity for sharing comes in waves. Low tide ahead.

For the past three years, I've shared much more detailed sales data on the audio app Clubhouse with many other seasoned domain investors from around the world. Many of these other domain investors also share valuable data and insight. We still meetup every Thursday, 3pm PST/6pm EST on Talking Domains on Clubhouse. When you speak with people, it doesn't take long to know who is full of shit and who isn't.

I'm less interested in a domain investor's individual sales as I'm interested in their overall position.

What is the lifetime total you have spent on domain names?
What are your total net proceeds from domain parking and sales after any sales fees, processing fees for commissions?
In other words, are you cash-flow positive overall?

Most domain investors are still looking to the future for their profits. And most won't find any.

Last edited:
•••
I just sold a 1 worder .xyz for 6 figures.

Here's the screenshot as proof:

Screenshot_2023-09-17-18-44-52-619_com.android.chrome.png

Hand registered and owned for 3 months.

Last edited:
•••
I just sold a 1 worder .xyz for 6 figures.

Here's the screenshot as proof:

Show attachment 246237

Hand registered and owned for 3 months.
Your first mistake was using dot-xyz as an example.

Your second mistake was thinking we would ever believe that you sold a domain.

•••
Thanks for your well-written initial post @jideofor.

I respect the right of each domainer to share sales or not to share sales. For those who do report, I would far prefer that it be to NameBio, or the official reporting sales here at NamePros, rather than through social media.

As people have pointed out, a sale without a domain name or a price seems pretty pointless.

It is definitely unwise to report mere offers or uncompleted sales, and it is not a good idea to report sales that are on still-open lease-to-own. Definitely many of these will never finish, and you may jeopardize your sale even.

I think reported sales can help in a few ways:
  • provide pricing comparators
  • show what sectors/niches are resulting in sales
  • indicate the types of names that are selling
Because for the most part the brandable place sales go unreported, we have a rather skewed picture. Also, the fact that Sedo are (for $2000+) in, while Afternic and Dan mainly not in, there are no doubt some bias in retail picture too. Ideally, I wish the major marketplaces all reported sales.

I agree with @biggie that while some may enter domaining as a result of learning about some major sales, there are many different reasons people take up domains, and that is not true for all of us.

Thanks for the good discussion, everyone.

-Bob
Thank you for your submission, Bob.

I am not actually telling people what to do with their domain sales and like you highlighted, it is completely pointless to hide a domain sold when you upload such an image online.

Is this for some ego massage?

What do we do with an empty screenshot?

I would prefer they don't upload anything instead of doing that.

•••
Your first mistake was using dot-xyz as an example.

Your second mistake was thinking we would ever believe that you sold a domain.
That's exactly what I say to myself when someone 'tweets' something saying they sold an xyz for 5 figs after hand registering it 3 months ago πŸ‘

•••
I don't think that's a successful example. Swetha is sort of XYZ brand ambassador.
There has not been a single person here with the same success or even with 5% of her success.

There's a lot of hate because people don't believe her.

But the truth is, she literally cornered the market. Everyone else laughed at .xyz saying it was a joke

There are nP memes of .xyz going back 7 years+.

But she believed in what they stood for so for her and her alone it was like a Second Age of 90s domaining when dictionary .coms were regfee.

Although, even if you wanted to believe, you'd still need the bankroll. I mean she had thousands upon thousands of .xyz domains. Renewed until her big break, like 3 or 4 years later. So even if everything was initially $0.01, the renewal was $20, so that's still millions of dollars....

•••
I agree with the view expressed by several earlier in this thread that there are definitely significant numbers of retail buyers in the auctions, and I think that is probably increasing every year.

I looked at 381 names that had ended up selling for $4000 or more at GD auctions, and found that within months almost as many were developed sites as were listed for sale again. See: Who Bids On High-Value Auctions. @JudgeMind had done a preliminary analysis and suggested the topic to me.

I am sure that the Park.io and AI auction sites also have retail buyers.

Of course, there are some who are both domain investors and developers, so not all developed sites are necessarily retail in the traditional sense, and the wholesale/retail distinction is increasingly fuzzy.

-Bob

•••
Of course, there are some who are both domain investors and developers

This number of buyers, both investors and developers, shouldn't be underestimated. They're in direct competition with (basic) domainers. Usually with more knowledge about what's hot and happening within their niche.

Yet, if you follow closely, a window of opportunity is there.

•••
there are definitely significant numbers of retail buyers in the auctions, and I think that is probably increasing every year.

This is how I got into domain investing. I was purchasing SEO domains and niche-specific domains in the auctions as an end-user. I think any site owner with a solid SEO background will be familiar with the auctions, but the average ecom/business owner has no clue about the aftermarket. That may be changing with the number of end-users GoDaddy has been reaching out to, though.

In the last two-ish years, one of the hot topics in SEO has been purchasing dropped/expired domains to build out or redirect to an existing site. I don't remember many of the big SEO "influencers" talking about this before a few years ago. Here are a few examples: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

•••
Disclose it or don’t disclose it. Otherwise, it doesn’t count!

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back