IT.COM

domains Meta.Company accuses Facebook of stealing Meta name and livelihood

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
Meta.Company

For the last three months, Facebook lawyers have been hounding us to sell our name to them. We refused their offer on multiple bases. Namely, the low offer wouldn’t cover the costs of changing our name, and we insisted on knowing the client and intent, which they did not want to disclose.

At least two law firms were involved: One in the USA that requested our trademark and domains (Kilpatrick, Townsend & Stockton), and the other in Europe aggressively contacting trying to get us to sell our domain registrations (Hogan Lovells).

On October 20th, 2021, during a phone call with Facebook attorneys, we declined their low offer and maintained our requirements. At this point, we presumed it was Facebook and identified them on the call. The attorney representing Facebook declared they would respect our existing right and registration.

On October 28th, 2021, Facebook decided to commit trademark infringement and call themselves “Meta”.

They couldn’t buy us, so they tried to bury us by force of media. We shouldn't be surprised by these actions — from a company that continually says one thing and does another. Facebook and its operating officers are deceitful and acting in bad faith, not only towards us, but to all of humanity.

read more

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Load of rubbish in my opinion. Checking out the site nothing is on it, checking out the companies social media handles (Twitter/Insta/Facebook) they only started posting on them 1st November, Archive.org shows nothing on the 'so called' meta.company as a business.

Last edited:
•••
Let's be honest here, people have been talking about "metaverse" before FB showed up late to the party and tried to hijack a generic term.

Also, the term itself is basically stolen from the 1992 book "Snow Crash".

It is rich for FB to think they can exclusively own this term for this use. It is nothing but an inflated sense of entitlement.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Generic.

In my language it is even in dictionary.
And META.UA (with mandatory TM) runs since 2002...

•••
They have no recourse because their trademark is for Metacompany.

•••
"Meta" has been used in the video game field for well over a decade.

Honestly, FB can just suck it. They have no exclusive rights to this term for this use.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
they probably started demanding 6 figures, so classic example of domain name squatting in my opinion, i hope FB win.
That domain has been registered since 2014.
By the way, then MetaCompany in King (owned by one member of his forum and registered since 2002) would be also squatting according to you? They are asking high 6 figures right now.
As @bmugford says:
people have been talking about "metaverse" before FB showed up late to the party and tried to hijack a generic term.
And
Also, the term itself is basically stolen from the 1992 book "Snow Day".
The thing is that there are 1690 records containing "Meta" in the US Trademark database alone, before Facebook showed up thinking they must own every "Meta" out there.
In my opinion...

Last edited:
•••
Even Zuck confirms in his video that he knows Meta from Greek language...

•••
Facebook probably offered them something like $30k-$50k but greed then takes over and they probably started demanding 6 figures, so classic example of domain name squatting in my opinion, i hope FB win.

Imagine hoping Facebook ever wins.

I'm not sure why you think with the insane metaverse hysteria "meta" is worth just $30-50k. FB was irrelevant to its value, though ironically now they've made it less valuable because no other big buyer will go near it.

The people behind meta.company are also not doing themselves any good screaming "Facebook Stole Our Name", when FB simply tried to buy their name.

Last edited:
•••
The current owners are the rightful owners of the domain, that is fair enough. But i don't like how they are going about it. Ie making out they are a business and the big bad wolf is trying to blow their house down. If they came out and said, "no this is my domain, i claimed it first" i would be on their side, even if they wanted $2 million.

Last edited:
•••
lol at hating facebook and having a link to your company page on facebook hahahaha

•••
His Meta.News was acquired by Google!(?) + Meta.Site not responding

Last edited:
•••
Seems like it's just opportunism in order to make a quick buck on their part. Metacompany isn't Meta as has already been pointed out. What do they mean that they have been "hounding" them? I doubt that's the case... They have a trademark for their name "metacompany" so they can continue to enjoy using it so what are they barking on about?

Their trademarks on METACOMPANY was registered 06/05/2016.... Zuck's is 2015. Suck it up I say... complete mischaracterisation of Facebook's actions to say they stole the name imho.

Last edited:
•••
Meta Platforms, Inc. could go with meta.com/pany if they won't get it!

•••
meta.company is registered since 2014

•••
Articles like this are also irritating as hell:
https://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-meta-name-trademark-battle-metapc-2021-11?r=US&IR=T

Pretending that just because someone has applied for a trademark META that they have somehow beaten FB to the name, they haven't and it probably won't get approved. They'll likely be blocked by Facebook as companies like this do all the time, if the name is confusing or similar and the class of goods and services will affect their rights in the mark they will be able to prevent registration...

What is it that people don't understand about owning IP? You can buy IP and you have the rights to it. They already owned a trademark for META that they gained through acquisition. Simples.

Last edited:
•••
why facebook need this domain they have .com and .org ?!

•••
•••
•••
they must paid for the owner to own his name
Exactly, that's why they made offers (according to the report) to the OWNER of this domain name.

•••
Exactly, that's why they made offers (according to the report) to the OWNER of this domain name.
I think the owner of the greed domain owns it because Facebook is the one who wants the name

•••
I see one thing here..

A company/domain owner having a meltdown because Meta's offer isn't going to make their dreams come true.

I don't see Meta trying to hijack anything, I see them making financial offers on names they don't need. They already own the nicest ones.

imo

•••
I think the owner of the greed domain owns it because Facebook is the one who wants the name
He doesn't own it because META Platforms, Inc. wants it - he owns it because he took steps in the past to own it.

•••
I see one thing here..

A company/domain owner having a meltdown because Meta's offer isn't going to make their dreams come true.

I don't see Meta trying to hijack anything, I see them making financial offers on names they don't need. They already own the nicest ones.

imo

I do have to say the title of the thread does seem like hyperbole. Have they ever made any legal threats, or have they just made offers to purchase the domain?

Brad

•••
Back