Dynadot

news Facebook Renames Itself Meta

NameSilo
Watch
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting change, I'm surprised

•••
No wonder the craze

Last edited:
•••
I am not sure if that makes "Meta" domains more or less valuable honestly. FB is going to have a hard time defending such a generic term, with a generic use. Kind of an odd "brand" IMO.

Brad

•••
They're doing it like Google when they announced Alphabet. All their apps will be under Meta company name.
220063_11f6259781dbec6c4e2382a256e1c632.png

Last edited:
•••
I am not sure if that makes "Meta" domains more or less valuable honestly. FB is going to have a hard time defending such a generic term, with a generic use. Kind of an odd "brand" IMO.

Brad
They don’t need to defend it. The .com and .org are in their pocket.

•••
They're doing it like Google when they announced Alphabet. All their apps will be under Meta company name.
220063_11f6259781dbec6c4e2382a256e1c632.png

Yeah, that change was basically nothing. Everyone still uses "Google" for everything.

Even if you invest in the company "Alphabet Inc" the ticker symbol is still "GOOG" or "GOOGL".

Brad

Last edited:
•••

Brad

Precisely what I was thinking

•••
So they are now known as Meta and will be building out their own metaverse.......

This is important - they are not building the metaverse just their own one.......So it will be called the Meta Metaverse? I know they will call it the Meta, but every other company is going to have their own one and call it what? The Epic Metaverse, Google Metaverse, Apple Metaverse etc etc etc so they will known as the meta metaverse by people - looks like piss poor planning to me from a branding perspective....

Or is every company just going to keep their name and still be known as "xyz" within this space, time will tell

Really can't wait to see how all the other big tech companies position themselves and how they are going to steer the conversation away from this FB/Meta abomination - especially Apple & Google.....

Really can't see them allowing this niche to be synonymous with Meta/FB - they have all been slow out of the blocks in regards to their PR

"“Most of all, I’ve come to believe that the lack of choice and high fees are stifling innovation, stopping people from building new things, and holding back the entire internet economy,"

A not so sly dig at them.......even though they want to become more like Apple and chrge developers for their creations in the soon to be Zuckaverse........

Nice domain though.......

•••
So they are now known as Meta and will be building out their own metaverse.......

This is important - they are not building the metaverse just their own one.......So it will be called the Meta Metaverse? I know they will call it the Meta, but every other company is going to have their own one and call it what? The Epic Metaverse, Google Metaverse, Apple Metaverse etc etc etc so they will known as the meta metaverse by people - looks like piss poor planning to me from a branding perspective....

Or is every company just going to keep their name and still be known as "xyz" within this space, time will tell

Really can't wait to see how all the other big tech companies position themselves and how they are going to steer the conversation away from this FB/Meta abomination - especially Apple & Google.....

Really can't see them allowing this niche to be synonymous with Meta/FB - they have all been slow out of the blocks in regards to their PR

"“Most of all, I’ve come to believe that the lack of choice and high fees are stifling innovation, stopping people from building new things, and holding back the entire internet economy,"

A not so sly dig at them.......even though they want to become more like Apple and chrge developers for their creations in the soon to be Zuckaverse........

Nice domain though.......

I've seen their little promo. I'm not a Facebook fan boy, but I will say their Horizon Worlds product looks awesome. I think they'll have a bit of a battle with convincing a good chunk of people with this virtual reality stuff ...isn't everyones taste

•••
•••
Wonderful news B-)
Thanks for sharing!

•••
•••
Well..didn't many here already knew this:xf.cool::xf.grin:. Go "meta domain" holders(y)

•••
I'm definitely excited :-D
squid-game.png

Last edited:
•••
This is important - they are not building the metaverse just their own one.......So it will be called the Meta Metaverse? I know they will call it the Meta, but every other company is going to have their own one and call it what?

Spot on Nick.

•••
This is important - they are not building the metaverse just their own one.......So it will be called the Meta Metaverse? I know they will call it the Meta, but every other company is going to have their own one and call it what?
I think the theoretical metaverse purists view that the metaverse means one that is everything.

But I agree that practically every company will promote their own thing as metaverse. We will have many in parallel, of wildly different technical strength. I still would prefer the multiverse for this reason - many in parallel.

In many ways I think that it is good that there will be many versions, so no one company will become dominant. Or at least I hope no one will become dominant in the space.

Interesting times. Like reading everyone's speculations.

Bob

PS the physicist in me likes that their icon is a Lissajous figure. So many hours spent making them on an oscilloscope, they are strangely addictive.

PPS Does anyone know if interest in alphabet as a brand or part of a business name went up or down after Google adopted it for their parent company?

Last edited:
•••
So facebook owns meta.com but who owns metaverse.com?

•••
Nice 4L .com and pretty easy to remember. It will not delay the much needed oversight they (fbook) need and deserve.

Like all trends, this is a good one if you were fortunate to get in early...many investors have and will make money on the 'meta' trend for a while. I just hope a lot of newbies don't lose their shirts hand regging or buying 'investment' grade names.

•••
What do you think all those who recently paid low to high 5 figures for their Meta names are feeling right about now?

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Back