Dynadot

domains Meta.Company accuses Facebook of stealing Meta name and livelihood

NameSilo
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
Meta.Company

For the last three months, Facebook lawyers have been hounding us to sell our name to them. We refused their offer on multiple bases. Namely, the low offer wouldn’t cover the costs of changing our name, and we insisted on knowing the client and intent, which they did not want to disclose.

At least two law firms were involved: One in the USA that requested our trademark and domains (Kilpatrick, Townsend & Stockton), and the other in Europe aggressively contacting trying to get us to sell our domain registrations (Hogan Lovells).

On October 20th, 2021, during a phone call with Facebook attorneys, we declined their low offer and maintained our requirements. At this point, we presumed it was Facebook and identified them on the call. The attorney representing Facebook declared they would respect our existing right and registration.

On October 28th, 2021, Facebook decided to commit trademark infringement and call themselves “Meta”.

They couldn’t buy us, so they tried to bury us by force of media. We shouldn't be surprised by these actions — from a company that continually says one thing and does another. Facebook and its operating officers are deceitful and acting in bad faith, not only towards us, but to all of humanity.

read more

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A company/domain owner having a meltdown because Meta's offer isn't going to make their dreams come true.
🤣 But wait - isn't the status quo just one thing while the (unknown) future is another?

•••
I do have to say the title of the thread does seem like hyperbole. Have they ever made any legal threats, or have they just made offers to purchase the domain?

Brad
From Meta.Company website
Screenshot 2021-11-05 002231.png

Sounds like the agreed to respect their existing right & registration. I don't see any threats.

They're upset they tried to buy them by "force of media", by being Meta, Meta.com Metaverse.com etc..

imo

Last edited:
•••
But i don't like how they are going about it.
Out of context, this is my view as well.

However, there are always reasons (not necessarily excuses) for certain behaviours and here I can see 2 possible reasons why they decided to make it public - namely ...

... either they fear META PLATFORMS, INC.'s (financial) power (to hire attorneys) who will, sooner or later, most probably try to get their domain name by law (no guarantee of course) in the event that META PLATFORMS, INC. won't make them an offer that they will accept - in other words, they made this step as a "defense by attack" tactic in the hope that informing the public about it will make META PLATFORMS, INC. step back ...

... or simply to further increase their domain name's value just by (publishing) the fact that META PLATFORMS, INC. wants it.

Last edited:
•••
However, there are always reasons (not necessarily excuses) for certain behaviours and here I can see 2 possible reasons why they decided to make it public - namely ...
They took it public to play the victim.

I never researched fully into it and should have before I posted yesterday in truth (hence my edited posts), but my views have not changed, it doesn’t take much working out what they are trying to do.

Their social media handles are ‘theREALmetacompany’ including on Insta/Facebook (Meta dot com owned sites). How ridiculous is that? That alone tells me they are not a real company and created handles on the back of FB’s rebrand.

They are even making out 'meta dot com' stole their logo design, their whole argument is ridiculous/unbelieveable and as i said yesterday, if i was FB i would do the same, open a UDPR rather than pay these people.

Last edited:
•••
... they are not a real company and created handles on the back of FB’s rebrand.

According to BIZAPEDIA, they are very well an active and therefore a "real" company (Chicago Illinois) and their registered company name is META LLC since more than 8 years.

BIZAPEDIA | META LLC
https://www.bizapedia.com/il/meta-llc.html

It is their business how or if they use their social media channels - this doesn't make them an "unreal" company.

They simply own a domain name that another active and "real" company wants.

Last edited:
•••
It's interesting that the major brandable marketplaces are actively listing Meta names. We know they try to avoid TM names, but looks like they don't see it the way some of us do, in terms of acceptable use of Meta. Interesting times really..

•••
•••
It's interesting that the major brandable marketplaces are actively listing Meta names. We know they try to avoid TM names, but looks like they don't see it the way some of us do, in terms of acceptable use of Meta. Interesting times really..
Someone said that GoDaddy are preventing people from listing meta names. Is that correct?

Last edited:
•••
hahah imagine If fb offered em 1mil..they'd be sucking and kissing on fb ugly toes in gratitude..

•••
Most domain name marketplaces primarily just don't support the listing of non generic TM names (which makes sense) while fortunately they support the listing of generic terms (which makes sense too).

•••
Someone said that GoDaddy are preventing people from listing meta names. Is that correct?
I have no idea if they tried, but you'll definitely find premium listings with a "Meta" search.

•••
Meta or Metaverse is not Facebook properties. If one appoint a brilliant lawyer, Facebook will not win any case related to Meta or Metaverse.

•••
Meta or Metaverse is not Facebook properties. If one appoint a brilliant lawyer, Facebook will not win any case related to Meta or Metaverse.
Slight diagreement. Meta is registered for their registered good and services in the USA and Canada... so if you avoid anything to do with that then you might be alright.

•••
"Meta" has been used in the video game field for well over a decade.

Honestly, FB can just suck it. They have no exclusive rights to this term for this use.

Brad
Exactly...

•••
I have no idea if they tried, but you'll definitely find premium listings with a "Meta" search.
Who needs Godaddy? Plenty places to lookup meta availability.

•••
•••
Load of rubbish in my opinion. Checking out the site nothing is on it, checking out the companies social media handles (Twitter/Insta/Facebook) they only started posting on them 1st November, Archive.org shows nothing on the 'so called' meta.company as a business.
could it be the OP is the one behind it? lol

•••
I actually saw someone post this on my FB feed -

252698570_10226097411652876_3130468868790656738_n.jpg

•••

That's been up on their site for at least a few days I would say.

Someone asked them on twitter what exactly they do and meta.company replied that they're looking forward to revealing what their product is.... from that information we can work out that they haven't even traded using the name yet. So their TM is 5 years old, they have no protection for the name because they haven't traded under it and they admitted it online 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️!!

Under these circumstances they'd have the claim to USPTO excusable non use, which from what I've read on their site is seldom granted.

What a bunch of characters.

•••
That's been up on their site for at least a few days I would say.

Someone asked them on twitter what exactly they do and meta.company replied that they're looking forward to revealing what their product is.... from that information we can work out that they haven't even traded using the name yet. So their TM is 5 years old, they have no protection for the name because they haven't traded under it and they admitted it online 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️!!

Under these circumstances they'd have the claim to USPTO excusable non use, which from what I've read on their site is seldom granted.

What a bunch of characters.

The notable thing though is I barely use FB, and only have a handful of personal contacts on there, and that was from someone outside the domain world that posted it.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The notable thing though is I barely use FB, and only have a handful of personal contacts on there, and that was from someone outside the domain world that posted it.

Brad
Oh and their TM is for metacompany, not the shorter word meta.

And fair enough. What are you doing on FB... 🌝? (I'm kidding, but sort've not too) I stopped using that long ago like everyone else.

•••

"A public cease & desist", to Meta/Zuckerberg.. I can respect that, or I can laugh at it, not sure which.. In any case, he really wants to make millions, that's the only obvious thing..

•••
Here is a complete screenshot of their domain name's (meta.company) website:

1636365307022.png

The last line says "Copyright © 2021 Meta, LLC."

1636365329426.png

Not meant as reference to their TM ("METACOMPANY") but to their company's name (META, LLC).

•••
If Facebook doesn't have millions to spend on a domain then who?

•••
Who says that FACEEBOOK INC META PLATFORMS INC doesn't have millions to spend on a domain name?
Also, who says millions?
The price of this domain name can be lower / higher.

The possibility that one day META PLATFORMS INC will have a meeting with META LLC in the metaverse to battle or to settle a deal is real.

May META win! *

* In case these both META companies will have a battle, only one of both META companies will win - but in case they will have a deal, both META companies will win (win / win).

Last edited:
•••
Back