IT.COM

debate Media Advertising Meds with Serious Side-effects

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DN Playbook

Established Member
Impact
I am sorry to create a "dark" thread but this topic needs to be openly discussed.

Last week's 2 high profile suicides have brought this topic to mainstream news. The issue I have with this and mainstream media (mainly CNN, since I watch them a lot) has been really bugging me since the news about one of their biggest stars, Anthony Bourdain's death.

There were some really emotional and personal responses on the network, along with prominently displayed number to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255.

Now we're in a new news cycle. And it seems like that's yesterday's news. Here is my issue:

It was reported that suicides are on the rise, especially in the US. One possible reason got a lot of attention: the apparent "contagion effect" after high profile deaths. But what has never been stated as possible contributing factor is the side effects of medications such as Chantix.

CNN has a lot of pharma advertisers, including Chantix, that are selling meds with terrible side effects such as "depressed moods and suicidal thoughts". Could such meds be a possible factor in the rise of suicides?

During the news cycle about Anthony, these ads were noticeably missing in commercial breaks. Now they are back on.

Without minimizing other serious factors, it is very disappointing to see ads for meds with side effects that contribute to or cause such feelings. Especially on a network that got hit home with this reality.

Sorry to bring this up here but I didn't know where to post elsewhere. It's something that has been percolating inside me since last week.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Back