Domain Empire

'Make Offer' Listing Marketplaces?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Michael Seatory

Established Member
Impact
Hi, can anybody give me a list of sites/marketplaces where I can list domains as available for sale using 'Make Offer'

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks. Sounds like some really good advice. Makes a lot of sense.

Put simply my approach will likely be

'High Value' - Build a contact lander page.
'Medium' - List as Bin
'Low Value' - no reserve auctions using various sites (for experience)

I split profile into 3 categories. Similar to the high/medium/low, but different.

1: core - good long term domains that you expect to sell for highest possible at some point (longest future) of your liking = lander page

2: trend - this is whatever is flavor of the month, you'd buy in early and wait to sell them all in bulk at some point in the (mid-term)...BULK sale, at the peak!:)

3: quick flip - these are domains that you see value in and can snag at very low price. here on namepros, drops, sedo, or whatever else. You just think they're being sold TOO cheap to pass up. This is the kind of domain you sell on auction sites like flippa ASAP (unless you put them in core)

No where do I have list "make offer" on market place there :p

•••
I can add the psychology to lander vs platform too! If you get offer via marketplace you have no idea of who it is or what their intentions for the domain is. You are really don't know! So it's like poker...you have to decide if you're willing to take less than the most possible via a domainer because a profit is a profit OR are dealing with someone who really wants to use your domain. In the later case, if you KNEW it was an end user you would definitely set your expectations higher.

This is the case with having your own lander. There is a far better chance that anyone contacting you is an end user! It's a more laid back to me, you can feel the person out and try to get an idea of who you are dealing with a lot more effectively than using a 3rd party.

Nice.. Can I ask?

Do you usually pro actively try to find and approach possible end users or are you more of the opinion, better to sit back and wait?

I was initially of the opinion that approaching possible end users informing them that the domain was available for sale would be the best approach.

However there could be an argument that could drive the price down as the 'end user' knows you want to sell.

•••
Nice.. Can I ask?

Do you usually pro actively try to find and approach possible end users or are you more of the opinion, better to sit back and wait?

I was initially of the opinion that approaching possible end users informing them that the domain was available for sale would be the best approach.

However there could be an argument that could drive the price down as the 'end user' knows you want to sell.

It works for a lot of people! it seems like work to me. I do think it can make the price go down, it makes you sound desperate. Rarely is solicitation good deals unless the person is truly desperate.

•••
I find that approaching end users is great. It doesn't affect the ultimate agreed upon price. I do sometimes have to walk away, but sometimes they come back and pay my price or meet in the middle. It is too hard for end users to find that one needle in a haystack. You are better off targeting end users that are perfect for your domain. They respond quickly when they are interested. Even before any price is discussed.

•••
I can give you many examples of why reaching out works.

•••
When they come to you, they think the domain is just sitting around, so they expect a low price.

•••
Almost all of my sales come from me reaching out to the end user. I simply let them know that a domain name is available that would be a perfect fit. I usually reach out to marketing departments because they seem to have access to the decision makers. Waiting around for offers, you will go broke more than likely. Every domain you register should have a purpose from the time you buy it. Whether you plan to develop it, or flip it or believe it is worth serious money, you can just wait. Especially now that there are so many choices out there.

After a few calls, you'll be on fire! It feels really good when you tell an end user that you have changed your plans to develop a domain name and think it might be better served by company X. And then you here the pause that means they just wet their pants. And then they ask for an email. Then, well, if the planets are aligned, you make a great deal! It's really special when that happens.

•••
I split profile into 3 categories. Similar to the high/medium/low, but different.

1: core - good long term domains that you expect to sell for highest possible at some point (longest future) of your liking = lander page

2: trend - this is whatever is flavor of the month, you'd buy in early and wait to sell them all in bulk at some point in the (mid-term)...BULK sale, at the peak!:)

3: quick flip - these are domains that you see value in and can snag at very low price. here on namepros, drops, sedo, or whatever else. You just think they're being sold TOO cheap to pass up. This is the kind of domain you sell on auction sites like flippa ASAP (unless you put them in core)

No where do I have list "make offer" on market place there :P

Nice descriptions of your categories.
With 'trend' you mentioned Bulk Sale? as in list all at once? or as a package? i.e, 10 x VRdotcoms.

Ok, Ok.I am going off the 'make offer' plan!

•••
It works for a lot of people! it seems like work to me. I do think it can make the price go down, it makes you sound desperate. Rarely is solicitation good deals unless the person is truly desperate.

I was also going to ask do you reach out to possible users at all? Possibly before auctioning a 'quick flip' ?

•••
I will tell you that it's not always so simple. I have been working with domain names for many years and have alot of experience. It really is complex, but I just wanted to give you a simple example. Understanding how to sell, reading the buyer, knowing what leverage to use, knowing how to define the benefits are all part of it, and can be complicated for a new person trying to sell domains. Outbound sales is probably better when you have more experience.

•••
Nice descriptions of your categories.
With 'trend' you mentioned Bulk Sale? as in list all at once? or as a package? i.e, 10 x VRdotcoms.

Ok, Ok.I am going off the 'make offer' plan!

@Silentptnr is right that reaching out can work well too, it's just not my style. I am patient type. A broker would have to reach out, it's his job. Reaching out feels like a JOB to me, I don't like :p

Yes when you buy into a trend don't go too crazy! You need to get in REALLY early. I am firm believer of having only premium names! A profile full of 10 or even 100, whatever premium names only makes sense. A bulk sale of mediocre names is nothing special. Deep pockets want the BEST!https://www.namepros.com/members/silentptnr.981235/

•••
I will tell you that it's not always so simple. I have been working with domain names for many years and have alot of experience. It really is complex, but I just wanted to give you a simple example. Understanding how to sell, reading the buyer, knowing what leverage to use, knowing how to define the benefits are all part of it, and can be complicated for a new person trying to sell domains. Outbound sales is probably better when you have more experience.

Explaining the power of your domain name so they can understand is key! Let them know that any alternatives are limited and likely quite a bit more costly.

•••
Almost all of my sales come from me reaching out to the end user. I simply let them know that a domain name is available that would be a perfect fit. I usually reach out to marketing departments because they seem to have access to the decision makers. Waiting around for offers, you will go broke more than likely. Every domain you register should have a purpose from the time you buy it. Whether you plan to develop it, or flip it or believe it is worth serious money, you can just wait. Especially now that there are so many choices out there.

After a few calls, you'll be on fire! It feels really good when you tell an end user that you have changed your plans to develop a domain name and think it might be better served by company X. And then you here the pause that means they just wet their pants. And then they ask for an email. Then, well, if the planets are aligned, you make a great deal! It's really special when that happens.

I definitely will be reaching out to sell some of my names. Do you always pick up the phone? over email?
I have a background of sales and enjoy sales. The day I experience what you describe will be a great day!

•••
I will tell you this though. I have only sold .com domains by reaching out. Usually I sell shorter names to companies than they currently have, or if they have .net or other extensions, selling a .com is much easier. Sometimes bigger companies want extra names. I am in the process right now of selling a domain to a large company that owns LLL.com. I happen to own myLLL.com. They loved it and want it. Now we are negotiating. They are a large shipping company and I guess they want to develop a special site using the myLLL version.

•••
I have much better response calling on the telephone. I have colleagues that use email and have elaborate setups for checking who opened what email, blah blah blah. I can tell you that I outsell them just picking up the phone. Then once I make contact, I move over to emails.

•••
@Silentptnr is right that reaching out can work well too, it's just not my style. I am patient type. A broker would have to reach out, it's his job. Reaching out feels like a JOB to me, I don't like :P

Yes when you buy into a trend don't go too crazy! You need to get in REALLY early. I am firm believer of having only premium names! A profile full of 10 or even 100, whatever premium names only makes sense. A bulk sale of mediocre names is nothing special. Deep pockets want the BEST!

I like your style! Just me being a newbie and having definitely made some buying errors along the way so far, I may need to put in a bit of work! All part of the journey. I look forward to the days when I am sitting on 10 or so premium names. A fair bit more learning to do until then.

•••
I don't call and say I have a domain name for sale. I say, I have a domain name that I was planning on using, but have decided not to use it. I see your company has invested in a solid online presence and I wanted to reach out and see if your organization might be interested in purchasing my domain. I think you will agree it could be a big win for your organization.

•••
I like your style! Just me being a newbie and having definitely made some buying errors along the way so far, I may need to put in a bit of work! All part of the journey. I look forward to the days when I am sitting on 10 or so premium names. A fair bit more learning to do until then.
Keep reading in this forum and you will learn quickly. Just keep you money close to you until you feel ready. Trust me, there will always be domains for sale that you will fall in love with.

•••
What really is interesting is when you have so many domains that you forget about some of the great names you have. I can't even remember what names I have sometimes. I think alot of domainers are the same.

•••
I have much better response calling on the telephone. I have colleagues that use email and have elaborate setups for checking who opened what email, blah blah blah. I can tell you that I outsell them just picking up the phone. Then once I make contact, I move over to emails.

Great advice and thank you for sharing your experience with me.

I would love to hear some pointers on what to say when first making contact? Do you really try to 'sell' the domain? Listing things like search terms, domain age/authority, shorter name, investment not liability etc

What are the key selling points that you would make a name valuable to an end user?

In your experience do most of your buyers immediately understand the potential value of a domain or is it a case of you persuading them of the benefits of owning the domain?

•••
I don't call and say I have a domain name for sale. I say, I have a domain name that I was planning on using, but have decided not to use it. I see your company has invested in a solid online presence and I wanted to reach out and see if your organization might be interested in purchasing my domain. I think you will agree it could be a big win for your organization.

Confident pitch. As simple as that ;)

•••
In most cases they immediately see the connection and understand that the domain is applicable to their business. I target them with an opportunity just for them!

•••
The worst that can happen is they say not interested. But usually, if I have done my homework, it's just a matter of time.

Emailing, at least for me is like a wide net. I just don't do much of it. Too many emails just get deleted or folks think it's some kind of scam.

•••
In most cases they immediately see the connection and understand that the domain is applicable to their business. I target them with an opportunity just for them!

I presume a deal is not usually struck immediately? As you mentioned following up be email, would this be where you include a few more gentle nudges?

Do you normally then complete your sales as private sales? Away from the market places?

Do you ever push to auction after reaching out to end users?

•••
First I thank them for having taken my call. Then I reiterate that the domain is available. Then I give them an idea of the range. Then I ask them to make an offer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back