IT.COM

LLLL.com COUNTDOWN!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
COUNTDOWN COMPLETE!

NO MORE 4 LETTER DOMAIN AVAILABLE TO REGISTER!

Since early 2005, I have been investing/trading with 4 letter domain names. I started this thread due to the large variation in opinions on how many four letter domains there are available. When I started, I heard a range on viewpoints ranging from 200,000 down to nothing. What I learned that most people did not know how many were available.

Sources of Error for the estimates in number of available 4 letter domains include:

Traffic Testers: These are people who buy thousands of domains at a time to see if the domains are being visited and only keep the small percentage of domains that have regular visitors and cancel their orders for the domains that don't have a regular flow of visitors.

Inefficient ways of making estimates: There are over 450 thousand possible 4-Letter domains. There are short cuts that people can take in estimating the number that been registered that don't include all domains. One short cut that is often taken is for somebody to search through a list of previously available 4 letter names that they purchased (or got for free) and assume that all the names that are not on that list are registered.

People quoting old information:The variation in the number available changes all the time. Estimates that are months old are very different than up to date estimates.

People manipulating information for a sale:It definately is true that incorrect information on the available number of 4-letter domains can intensionally be manipulated to sell 4-letter domains at a higher price. Typically the lack of supply tends to motivate people to pay higher prices.

As a 4-letter domain trader, I believe that the information of how many 4-letter domains there are is extremely valuable for two main reasons. Firstly, my pricing of my names is subject to the amount of work it requires for customer to find for similar name. Secondly, if I want to increase my stock of 4-letter names than the information of how many there are at reg fee prices is essential.

I decided to update this thread when the number of available 4-letter domains dropped to the following levels:
22% Remaining - 25th January 2006
19% Remaining - 31st March 2006
16% Remaining - 29th June 2006
13% Remaining - 1st August 2006
10% Remaining - 15th February 2007 (crossed without traffic testing early April)
9% Remaining - 26th February 2007 (crossed without traffic testing early May)
8% Remaining - 2nd March 2007 (crossed without traffic testing in June)
7% Remaining - 21st March 2007 (crossed without traffic testing early July)
6% Remaining - 3rd July 2007(crossed without traffic testing some time in July)
5% Remaining - 1st August 2007(crossed without traffic testing August 11)
4% Remaining - 14th August 2007(crossed late August)
3% Remaining - 15th September 2007(crossed In September)
2% Remaining - 14th October 2007
1% Remaining - 31st October 2007
0% Remaining - 2nd November - COUNTDOWN COMPLETE!

Although, the number of available domains does sometime rise straight after it drops due to traffic testing and people dropping their domains, I don't consider it worth mentioning unless the rise is as significant as a 3% rise in the number of available domains.

Types of Four Letter Domains that have run out include:
- ALL OF THEM!

Since I started this thread important event about four letter domains that are worth mentioning happenned:

1: Late March/Early April 2006 there was a significant shift in the market for brandable (fake words) 4-letter domains and they started selling at significantly higher prices and the market for the names has been a lot more active ever since.

2: In July 2006, a namepros member 3par launched DYYO.com as a site committed to educating people about 4 letter domains. This is an excellent resource for those who are interested in 4 letter domain names.

3: In early February 2007. All the 4 letter domains starting with the letter A ran out.

4: wasistdas won QQNQ.COM, PCZV.COM & IQKE.COM for the competition for predicting when the 4 Letter domains would run out
Less than 23% of the 4 letter domain names are unregistered. I thought I'd try to keep this thread updated every time I discover another 1% reduction. I am now routinely checking the percentage of unregisted 4 letter domains.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Michael_Goldman said:
I got a bunch of traffic on my LLLL's, but almost no clicks

~MG

not sure where I read the suggestion to set keywords to "domain registration" - maybe worth a shot especially during the current LLLL buyout buzz

•••
GreenGambler said:
I have a couple LLLL.coms, parked, that had a huge spike in traffic yesterday.
One , Oiyf, got like 80 hits and another , Qoyz got around 70... in one day when they have been usually getting 1 or 2 hits a day.

"Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 42 (32 members and 10 guests) "
You can really tell these babies are at an end.

uhmm maybe it is a SEDO thing then. I usually get just 2 or 3 cents at click and they are rare, for me parking is dead , but now you see these clicks of much more and you wonder... :alien:

•••
italiandragon said:
thanks , the best thing is looking at traffic is not asian!

Canada (en) 80,6 %
United States 14,9 %
Germany 3,0 %
Turkey 1,5 %

To my surprise, traffic on xllq is cpmpletely US (except for one visit from Australia :))

•••
bleh, wish I could stick around but I am going to miss it =/

•••
floatingworld said:
vlad, johnny, reece and friends
famous last minutes

Nice picture :)

Reflects the last minuted of available LLLLs and the domainers going for them :) :yell: :)

•••
how come no one says anymore that LLLL.com won`t finish?

Come on guys....come on...say it Just once.....it is your last chance lol.

•••
vlad74 said:
Nice picture :)

Reflects the last minuted of available LLLLs and the domainers going for them :) :yell: :)
This is how investors look like right now. also how the buyers will look like later :)

•••
italiandragon said:

I wish I would have seen this coming years ago... Nevertheless, gave it my best effort, and for someone who started regging in August, I think I did pretty good (almost all my 1550 only have 1 bad letter) :)

•••
Well done Reece :)
How many of your domains are with 'Q'?

~MG

•••
Reece said:
I wish I would have seen this coming years ago... Nevertheless, gave it my best effort, and for someone who started regging in August, I think I did pretty good (almost all my 1550 only have 1 bad letter) :)

yes , I started in May 2006 when there were about 80,000 left and DYYO already was clearly showing the trend that some people defined here "hype" :yell:

You know what? Gotta love Hypes! :hehe:

•••
i want to register more.... :hehe:

no matter what bad letters...closing ceremony

•••
One of my recent grabs, dvij.com, is currently getting around 10 uniques per day. I really like this name too :)

When they are all gone, it will be very difficult to justify selling any LLLL.com for less than $20 IMO. As time goes on, that minimum will surely rise steadily. When the amount of time and effort is considered, and the fact that none are available, even $20 looks very cheap :)

I'm very pleased with my 50 strong portfolio. I will probably be kicking myself a year from now because I didn't register many more when I had the chance :hehe:

Matt.

•••
Michael_Goldman said:
Well done Reece :)
How many of your domains are with 'Q'?

~MG

Thanks Michael :)

About 600 with a Q, 500 of which contain 3 premium letters + Q.

•••
italiandragon said:

:D

•••
italiandragon said:

So what is the problem with any one having another opinion? That´s what makes a forum dynamic.

Btw, I have a lot of LLLL so as far as I am concerned we can call it a day for the LLLL freely available :hehe:

•••
I think we'll see LLLLL.com (5L) finish by 2010.. Just makes sense that short names will become more and more desirable as more and more people get internet access and as internet on cell phones takes off.

I'm really surprised that more .mobi investors didn't invest in LLLL.coms... The two make an excellent hedge together :imho:

•••
•••
meek said:
So what is the problem with any one having another opinion? That´s what makes a forum dynamic.

Btw, I have a lot of LLLL so as far as I am concerned we can call it a day for the LLLL freely available :hehe:

Nothing wrong with different opinions otherwise I was not here but I do admit when I`m wrong.....so I expect the same from others.

Instead if we scroll back this thread....they rather disappeared then come here and say "oh I was wrong!"

•••
Who knows where are we now? Does anyone has an updated list?

•••
vlad74 said:
Who knows where are we now? Does anyone has an updated list?
230 left.

•••
I regd 20 more last 10 minutes.

•••
Reece said:
I think we'll see LLLLL.com (5L) finish by 2010.. Just makes sense that short names will become more and more desirable as more and more people get internet access and as internet on cell phones takes off.

I'm really surprised that more .mobi investors didn't invest in LLLL.coms... The two make an excellent hedge together :imho:

I think that the next deal will be LLLL.net (4L.net) rather than LLLLL.com (5L.com). This is just my opinion.

Nonetheless, this is not in contradiction to "I think we'll see LLLLL.com (5L) finish by 2010.."

•••
Reece said:

I am not so sure...there are companies based around LLL and also major companies based around LLLL eg HSBC, but after that collections of letters are really not so significant and the key becomes brandability eg junko, so it matters less whether the name is 5, 6, or 7 letters.....
...the aftermarket in LLLL is going to keep everyone busy for at least a couple of years and maybe will become the de facto marker for domain name pricing now that LLL has gone into a superleague of its own....in short LLLL is set to become the big swimming pool. Jump on in ... the water's lovely! :xf.love:

•••
vlad74 said:
I think that the next deal will be LLLL.net (4L.net) rather than LLLLL.com (5L.com). This is just my opinion.

Nonetheless, this is not in contradiction to "I think we'll see LLLLL.com (5L) finish by 2010.."

Yes, I think LLLL.net (of any variety - CVCV, VCVC, etc) are heavily underpriced. When LLLL.coms start hitting $100+, that 10-15% of .com rule is gonna tell people the names are worth >regfee :imho:

Interesting times ahead... :wave:

floatingworld said:
I am not so sure...there are companies based around LLL and also major companies based around LLLL eg HSBC, but after that collections of letters are really not so significant and the key becomes brandability eg junko, so it matters less whether the name is 5, 6, or 7 letters.....
...the aftermarket in LLLL is going to keep everyone busy for at least a couple of years and maybe will become the de facto marker for domain name pricing now that LLL has gone into a superleague of its own....in short LLLL is set to become the big swimming pool. Jump in the water's lovely! :xf.love:

I just hope prices don't go up too fast. I want at least 2500... Ideally, I'd like 4600 (or whatever 1% is), just so I could say I own 1% :hehe:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back