NameSilo

LLLL.com COUNTDOWN!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
COUNTDOWN COMPLETE!

NO MORE 4 LETTER DOMAIN AVAILABLE TO REGISTER!

Since early 2005, I have been investing/trading with 4 letter domain names. I started this thread due to the large variation in opinions on how many four letter domains there are available. When I started, I heard a range on viewpoints ranging from 200,000 down to nothing. What I learned that most people did not know how many were available.

Sources of Error for the estimates in number of available 4 letter domains include:

Traffic Testers: These are people who buy thousands of domains at a time to see if the domains are being visited and only keep the small percentage of domains that have regular visitors and cancel their orders for the domains that don't have a regular flow of visitors.

Inefficient ways of making estimates: There are over 450 thousand possible 4-Letter domains. There are short cuts that people can take in estimating the number that been registered that don't include all domains. One short cut that is often taken is for somebody to search through a list of previously available 4 letter names that they purchased (or got for free) and assume that all the names that are not on that list are registered.

People quoting old information:The variation in the number available changes all the time. Estimates that are months old are very different than up to date estimates.

People manipulating information for a sale:It definately is true that incorrect information on the available number of 4-letter domains can intensionally be manipulated to sell 4-letter domains at a higher price. Typically the lack of supply tends to motivate people to pay higher prices.

As a 4-letter domain trader, I believe that the information of how many 4-letter domains there are is extremely valuable for two main reasons. Firstly, my pricing of my names is subject to the amount of work it requires for customer to find for similar name. Secondly, if I want to increase my stock of 4-letter names than the information of how many there are at reg fee prices is essential.

I decided to update this thread when the number of available 4-letter domains dropped to the following levels:
22% Remaining - 25th January 2006
19% Remaining - 31st March 2006
16% Remaining - 29th June 2006
13% Remaining - 1st August 2006
10% Remaining - 15th February 2007 (crossed without traffic testing early April)
9% Remaining - 26th February 2007 (crossed without traffic testing early May)
8% Remaining - 2nd March 2007 (crossed without traffic testing in June)
7% Remaining - 21st March 2007 (crossed without traffic testing early July)
6% Remaining - 3rd July 2007(crossed without traffic testing some time in July)
5% Remaining - 1st August 2007(crossed without traffic testing August 11)
4% Remaining - 14th August 2007(crossed late August)
3% Remaining - 15th September 2007(crossed In September)
2% Remaining - 14th October 2007
1% Remaining - 31st October 2007
0% Remaining - 2nd November - COUNTDOWN COMPLETE!

Although, the number of available domains does sometime rise straight after it drops due to traffic testing and people dropping their domains, I don't consider it worth mentioning unless the rise is as significant as a 3% rise in the number of available domains.

Types of Four Letter Domains that have run out include:
- ALL OF THEM!

Since I started this thread important event about four letter domains that are worth mentioning happenned:

1: Late March/Early April 2006 there was a significant shift in the market for brandable (fake words) 4-letter domains and they started selling at significantly higher prices and the market for the names has been a lot more active ever since.

2: In July 2006, a namepros member 3par launched DYYO.com as a site committed to educating people about 4 letter domains. This is an excellent resource for those who are interested in 4 letter domain names.

3: In early February 2007. All the 4 letter domains starting with the letter A ran out.

4: wasistdas won QQNQ.COM, PCZV.COM & IQKE.COM for the competition for predicting when the 4 Letter domains would run out
Less than 23% of the 4 letter domain names are unregistered. I thought I'd try to keep this thread updated every time I discover another 1% reduction. I am now routinely checking the percentage of unregisted 4 letter domains.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Now the drop list at dyyo.com is published 4 times a day. The script will run at 1, 7, 13, and 19 EST and the result published immediately.

So are the available names, updated at the same time.

Let us know if there is any glitch with the new scheme.

•••
I've been buying LLLL.coms and LLLL.nets for the past 10 months by the truck load. Don't be fooled, what appear to be really bad letter combos like JXVQ.com or any other odd ball LLLL dot com could be a gold mine. I've seen really bad LLLL.coms sell for thousands on Afternic. Like someone said many posts ago, flip through the telephone book to doctor or lawyer firms. You might see Xavier Hotaling Primel and Koser Law Frim. XHPK.com would be a fit for them. Keep thinking like that, but buy the best letter combos first. Buy and hold, 4 character dot coms will be worth a great deal sooner than people think. I'm a huge fan of Letter Tripple Letter dot nets or Tripple letter than Letter. So I bought up every single remaining one with the good letters left. Such as IRRR.net, AGGG.net, NBBB.net, TTTB.net. Simple as hell to remember and you're only using two different letter keys. I like the way they look and how fast you can type them out. See them once remember them forever.

•••
I've been registering LLLL in the past few months and I think I have enough. I still have some on my list that I would have reg. but I won't so feel free to grab what want.

Available to reg.
UEYM.COM
ZEFH.COM
OVFY.COM
QOYM.COM
UWCY.COM
UWFY.COM
UWGY.COM
ZOYF.COM
OMQU.COM

•••
Reece said:
Is 10-15% of every single dollar going into domaining going into LLLL.coms realistic? Will it be reflective of reality?
Well, Moniker has posted the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. NY results. That page includes the 111 live auction sales, plus the top 20 silent auction sales. Of those 131 domains, 15 (11.5%) are LLLL.Com. And of the total $11,625,895 in sales for those 131 domains, $1,479,240 (12.7%) are from LLLL.Com. If you only look at the .Com results, LLLL's took home 18.6% of the sales dollars. The top domain sale for this year on DNJournal is an LLLL.Com as well.

So I don't think LLLL.Com making up 10-15% of the domain market is an unreasonable or unlikely estimate.

Also, this graph speaks for itself. Unless something disrupts the trend, it looks clear that the available LLLL.com are going to run out, and soon . You can say that the remaining ones are somewhat crappy, but you could say the same about the bottom 10% too (a level we reached this summer), and we've already blown through 2/3 of those.

Registering LLLL is speculative, and I wouldn't advise anyone to mortgage their home or otherwise risk their finances to buy some. But I think they are an important part of any diverse domain portfolio. And I won't be surprised if, a few years from now, people kick themselves for not buying more back in the days when they could be picked up for reg fee or better ones for <$100 at drop auctions.

•••
Here are some more just dropped:

cpzd.com
cxif.com
bxnd.com
ckuq.com
nqzw.com
nrqa.com
jnvv.com
htiy.com
hwrz.com
ijry.com
ilxd.com
fwzp.com
ewcz.com
dlbq.com
hvkp.com
hvvk.com
hweq.com
kkqm.com
kdxj.com
ltxa.com

•••
NoRest said:
Hey, Johnnywj, I just bought the 70 remaining without Q's. Still hate the Q's.

Up to around 700-800 or so. Feeling poor right now.

John

Thanks for letting me know. :)

There is 525 Available now.

http://www.startgt.com/llll.txt

Some of the new names included in the list.

QVHB.com HB
QVHR.com HR
QVRF.com RF

VQCH.com CH
VQGN.com GN
VQHT.com HT
VQTB.com TB

XVFR.com FR
XVLG.com LG
XVLP.com LP
XVNR.com NR
XVPT.com PT
XVRF.com RF
XVRG.com RG
XVRN.com RN
XVSG.com SG

•••
Available right now.

Without q z x w j v and not beginning with y.

Happy hunting!

uybk .com TAKEN
uych .com [pronounceable and TAKEN by me]
uyfk .com
uyhs .com TAKEN
uykb .com
uykc .com
uykd .com
uykf .com
uykg .com
uykh .com
uykn .com
uykp .com
uymk .com
uynr .com
uyrk .com
uysd .com TAKEN

All available right now.

uyhw .com
uynr .com
ybuh .com
ydng .com
yrwo .com
ywbo .com [taken by me]

happy hunting!

•••
nicedomains said:
I'm curious as to how those of you with larger say 30-50+ llll.com portfolios are faring by parking them? I guess I am interested to hear about any traffic/revenue to newly regg'ed portfolios..?
I hold some +80 LLLL and traffic/clicks are crap. But I don't reg LLLL for earning revenue on parking. I plan to sit on them for +2 years and then resell them. I believe (hope :) ) they will be worth much more than regfee x +2 years then.

I make some money from parking on my LLLL. I usually go for "make easy money", "earn quick cash" and those type of keywords. Daily revenue of $2-$4 will help paying the regfees :).

Good luck

[Latest gems in my portfolio are aixv.com and gcux.com:)]

Last edited:
•••
A few more available to register LLLL.com domains. One has three premium letters and a Z. Another has no QXY or Z:

vzzy.com
lmqe.com
iqsv.com
ztdf.com
pqdu.com
sqja.com
xokz.com
qglk.com
jqdt.com
jqvs.com
jiwk.com
jlyo.com

Matt :)

•••
Hi,

Today's LLLL.com mega drop list will be published at approximately 21:10 BST (40 minutes).

This lengthy scan has revealed more drops. Click my signature to view it for free.

Please post any names that you take in the thread or send a PM so I can update the list. NP$ and rep appreciated if you register any.

Matt.

•••
here is a few you might like =)

VDUQ.COM
QKEB.COM
QJUY.COM

wonder how long they will last =X

•••
johnnywj said:
Only 1457 Available from that list.
Right, 1457 Available.

Here is the list.

•••
2 Available LLLL.COM

yjvz.com - YJVZ
xqkw.com - XQKW

•••
Here is 3 more Available:

YGVX.COM
OTQV.COM
OQRW.COM

•••
•••
I think it's hard to imagine a costant growth of this kind of domain registration, due to the obvious large amount of them who drops every day, and also for the fact that some really bad letters combination are not interesting at all (i.e. something like jhxk.com or yqhk.com), unless somebody will think to register them all in bulk..
At the moment the only valuable names are those pronunciable and brandable I guess, and obviously the meaningful ones.

•••
I am a great lover of LLLL .coms

•••
I recently picked up oult.com and heok.com at Snapnames - mainly because I put a load of them on my backorder list and had forgotten about them! But whether they are worth any more than $60 ... I have my doubts.

•••
they seem to have caused plenty of talk in recent times, i only own one as of now.. and the combinations left dont really interest me at present. I will keenly follow this though. Thanks for the updated info =)

•••
It's one thing to have all of them 'registered' but quite another to have them selling for a profit! We all know there are about 17K LLL.com combos and that jumps up to 450K for the LLLL.com. I've seen tons of LLLL.com (some nice ones) for under $20 all over the place. Then again - who knows that could happen. I bet the value won't go up much for at least another 2-3 years however.

As always - its a gamble!

•••
I got 9 so let's hope they expire before I gotta pay the renewals again :P.
TXGC.com
TXEO.com
NVCJ.com
NVGJ.com
VPOF.com
JQJJ.com
TXBQ.com
EZLH.com
MPBJ.com

•••
Solid/brandable LLLL.com values are increasing, while the lowest quality are reaching just around reg fee at this point -- I believe we'll see 95% of the names registered by next year

•••
Here is what I have observed on my estimates of 4 letter domains

Late December ~ 110K
Early Jan (around 13th) ~ 107K
Mid Jan ~ 104K
26th Jan ~ 97K
2nd Feb ~ 110K
9th Feb ~ 111K

In the past 6 weeks it looks as though more people have dropped 4 letter domains than purchased them. It appears that this countdown may take quite a while. I would recommend anyone considering purchasing 4 letter domains to be very selective at the moment. Personally, I am thinking that I'd wait until there is less than 8% (36500) remaining before considering purchasing random 4 letter domains. I only buy what I think I can sell and I can't sell random letters at the moment.

Something else that people may find interesting. The most commonly regged letters in four letter domains are S, C and A. Below is a the most common letters regged.
1st. SCA
2nd. DEMIT
3rd. BLON

Last edited:
•••
yoshiwara said:
vurg...it is for sure not clear that the numbers are systematically going down as there as a high drop-out rate going against the reg stream as you have pointed out...there are still a few worth regging though

I think that there is a downward trend but the numbers seem to be fluctuating plus or minus 1.5% of the average trend. There is more than 60000 unregisterd LLLL.com domains. My estimate for today is 94431. I now have a page where I put up my weekly estimates. (VISIT PAGE) If you visit my page you can see that the estimates go down more often than they go up. (7 out of 10 times.)

I think that there may be somebody buying 4 letter domains that start with the letter A. I only found 1 of the 98 that I checked today unregistered.

Does somebody have a list of the unregistered 4 letter domains starting with the letter A?

I will aim to make a comment when I see the domains cross the 19% remaining barrier but I still haven't seen that happen yet.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back