Domain Empire

The 4 Letter .COM Domain Debate

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I think that 4 letter .COM domains are a good buy and I've read many views on this and most people seems to disagree with me but I'll put my argument forward as to why I take my view. In my opinion there are 8 categories of 4 letter domains

1. Obvious Words & Acronyms (e.g. word.com)
2. Spelling Mistakes of Obvious Words & Acronyms (e.g. wurd.com)
3. Four digit numbers (e.g. 1267.com)
4. Not so obvious Words and Acronyms (e.g (four letter foreign language word).com)
5. Fictional Words (e.g. Vurg.com)
6. Boring Acronyms (e.g. SJZQ.com)
7. Interesting Number Letter Combinations (e.g 0bee.com)
8. Boring Number Letter Combinations (e.g. 0Q7P.com)

Categories 1 - 3 are virtually all gone and if you did find one you would be very lucky. Category 4 requires some special knowledge for you to determine if there is something worth going for. In my opinion this leaves category 5 domain names as the best 4 letter domain names to go for. My guess is that there are a few thousand available. There also would be some good category 7 domain names available.

There are 10000 number only 4 letter domain names.
There are 456496 letter only 4 letter domain names.
There are 1213120 number&letter 4 letter domain names.

I read recently that there are around 150000 4-letter domain names left to take. This means that less than 9% of the 4-letter domain names are there for the taking. After this they will only be available to those who will sell their domain name to you. At this point 4-letter domain names will rise in value to over $100 relatively quickly. In terms of getting a return of over 10% per year, I think that you could be pretty happy with buying the right 4 letter domain names and selling them in 3 - 10 years. There definately is a growing demand for these products.

I know many of you disagree with me but time will tell. Personally, I think the fact that most of the number&letter 4 letter domain names being taken is evidence that the demand for 4 letter domain names is huge. (Over one million taken and most look boring)

Note for 4 letter domain name investors: I registered vurg.com/net/org/info/biz and ws. In retrospect, I would recommend against doing this. I would rather hold on to as many 4 letter .COMs as I can and after they are all gone start going through what I have to see which domains I can add .net/.org & .info to enhance the collection.

Do you have an opinion on 4-letter .COMs?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
then what am i doing wrong?

i've got an ebay campaign running for my 4 letter .com, and have had little success....

my 4 letter .com

i've had zero hits and zero people "watching"

How can i improve my ad so that i get more interest?

Any suggestions will help

•••
Isis said:
i've got an ebay campaign running for my 4 letter .com, and have had little success....

my 4 letter .com

i've had zero hits and zero people "watching"

How can i improve my ad so that i get more interest?

Any suggestions will help

...most ebayers would not know a tuxedo even if it came up and bit them on their bum. In fact the concept probably freaks them out. Nice ad but pearls etc. If you have to relist drop the angle and just concentrate on the 4letter combo...(brandable for any co)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back