IT.COM

.mobi LLL vs. NNNN for .mobi

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MCDomains

DomainSeeking.comVIP Member
Impact
There are more LLL's than NNNN's ... it's 100x easier to type in a NNNN than some random LLL

I think NNNN.mobi domains would be much better for mobile users...

What does everyone else think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I guess I just don't get it. Maybe it doesn't work they way I thought. But when your browsing the web on a phone don't you have to go through the letters before you get to the numbers like when you text message? I must be missing something.

•••
9,999 possible NNNN
17,576 possible LLL

If the numbers actually represent a word (like 2277 = cars), then yes, there could be some value there. Here are some NNNN.mobi still available at the time of this posting:

2742 Asia
9463 Wine
4653 Gold
7355 Sell
3784 Drug
8324 Tech
8687 Tour
5437 Kids
2489 City
7368 Rent
8378 Test
2582 Club
3876 Euro
6255 Mall
7387 Pets

Last edited:
•••
I believe the LLL count is 17,576, not 456,976. that is for LLLLs.

•••
hawkeye said:
I believe the LLL count is 17,576, not 456,976. that is for LLLLs.

yup accidently did the calculation for LLLL :)

•••
I missing something I think...what would the number be for bmw for example?

•••
Have a look at the numbers and letters on a phone

2: A B C
3: D E F
4: G H I
5: J K L
6: M N O
7: P Q R S
8: T U V
9: W X Y Z

BMW = 269

•••
MinionDH said:
Have a look at the numbers and letters on a phone

2: A B C
3: D E F
4: G H I
5: J K L
6: M N O
7: P Q R S
8: T U V
9: W X Y Z

BMW = 269

Umm... but when you're actually typing it in "B" is "22" ... so "BMW" is "2269"

•••
On every web enabled phone that I have had I would have to go through the letters before the numbers...sometimes even the capital versions of the letters too...

Of course you could just select the numerical typeset in functions, but who would really do that. Also, who is going to do the button pushing math to come up with the alpha equivalent? I don't think I would ever naturally think about going to 2269.mobi for BMW...not ever.

Also, numbers just don't lend themselves to being memorized by the masses (no pun intended). Does anyone know the first 4,5,6,7 digits of Pi without looking it up! No. But you could probably rattle off a random 4-7 alpha name without too much trouble.

I'm afraid that LLL will once again rule the top of the charts. I've got all I can afford at the moment. I'm pretty happy with them too. I'm not even looking toward the number lines.

That's my two 2-3-6-8-7

•••
I hear ya - no one would think of the numbers if the site is letters, I'm just saying that it takes those key presses to get to BMW.

•••
MCDomains said:
I hear ya - no one would think of the numbers if the site is letters, I'm just saying that it takes those key presses to get to BMW.

Sorry for getting this post off-topic with the NNNN translating to words thing. My phone has a setting that automatically figures out the word when just typing the number. Example: If I wanted the word "Wine" I would just press 9463 rather than 94446633. It comes up with the word I'm looking for 90% of the time. I figured the value of a NNNN would be higher if the numbers also represented a word.. just a theory but we'll see how things turn out :)

Last edited:
•••
Just for sh!ts and giggles I looked at NNN ~ they are ALL GONE, but NNNN are overabundant.

Here are some of the better numbers that I found. They are better in my opinion because they are only ones and zeros and don't require any multi button push...

•••
Yup, NNN were all taken on September 26th (plus 90 were held as premium names).. some of us were lucky enough to get a few. There are still a lot of NNNN but the best ones seem to be all scooped up

Last edited:
•••
MinionDH said:
Sorry for getting this post off-topic with the NNNN translating to words thing. My phone has a setting that automatically figures out the word when just typing the number. Example: If I wanted the word "Wine" I would just press 9463 rather than 94446633. It comes up with the word I'm looking for 90% of the time. I figured the value of a NNNN would be higher if the numbers also represented a word.. just a theory but we'll see how things turn out :)

All phones have that setting, but it wouldn't apply to BMW, haha.

•••
I think LLL.mobi will be a lot more valuable in the future. When the internet takes off on mobiles we will start seeing inbuilt keyboards anyways!

•••
As long as the backers of this extension don't leave us holding our .mobi in our hand I think we will all do very well.

•••
On my phone, you can press # to get to all numbers. (AKA pressing 3 gives you 3.)

That would make it 5 buttons for an NNNN, and from 3 to 12 for an LLL. (7 = PQRS, SSS.mobi-- also, of course there would be the .mobi but that's the same for both.)

•••
Dan said:
On my phone, you can press # to get to all numbers. (AKA pressing 3 gives you 3.)

That would make it 5 buttons for an NNNN, and from 3 to 12 for an LLL. (7 = PQRS, SSS.mobi-- also, of course there would be the .mobi but that's the same for both.)

We're banking on phones auto-filling the .mobi someday... we can only dream. :)

•••
•••
BuysDomains said:
Just get a Treo.
It's not about what we have. It's about what the millions of other people have.

•••
I really don't think we are understanding just how these devices will operate in the future. Personally I can't see us still typing into our phones in 5 years - by then it will be all voice command and or pda style touch screen / pen devices ect.

•••
My gut feeling is that both NNNN and 3 letter mobis will sell out in the first week,if not before the price drop.

•••
i've been registering the numerical equivalent of premium names..for example 8255.mobi is talk.mobi. Better safe than sorry I suppose

•••
Hmm, I think this has gone slightly away from the original question. The 'typing numbers to mean letters' thing i do not think will take off at all. What people miss about numerics is the chinese market, which lends itself better to numbers than latin characters.
For me, a random nnnn.mobi has more potential than a random lll.mobi at the moment. Everything is speculation at present.

•••
I think I'm missing your point, seems like you are against numbers (The 'typing numbers to mean letters' thing i do not think will take off at all) then you are for them (For me, a random nnnn.mobi has more potential than a random lll.mobi at the moment), please clairfy.

gingeman said:
Hmm, I think this has gone slightly away from the original question. The 'typing numbers to mean letters' thing i do not think will take off at all. What people miss about numerics is the chinese market, which lends itself better to numbers than latin characters.
For me, a random nnnn.mobi has more potential than a random lll.mobi at the moment. Everything is speculation at present.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back