IT.COM

.mobi LLL.mobi's just tanked

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
http://3character.com/priceguide.html

They just dropped at that price guide to $95 from $150. Percentage wise I think that's the biggest drop I have ever seen at the site.

Does that officially ring the alarm bell for some mobi enthusiasts? $95 ain't so great if you have LLL's from sunrise. Heck...I am kind of sad since I own a DXD.mobi but what can you? And yes...many will say that the price guide is just a guide but it's one used by a LOT of domainers as an indicator of value.

http://3character.com/2007-october.html

That was it's high of $200 I believe. Also the $95 price represents the same price as of Jan 2007 which is just 2 months after launch. Sad news indeed but please...go ahead and find the silver lining as I am sure many mobi fans will.

Good night mobi. Sleep well.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
vJRB said:
Valuations have changed because of the economy. .mobi itself has not changed.

This isn't seeing things for what they are in my view, the speculators market for .mobi has largely dried up, the big buyers of .mobi have left the building and the backers and other large Internet co's have gone with the competition over the last 12 months (subdomains). The fundamentals of the .mobi market have changed. The economy has no doubt pushed prices even lower than they would have gone otherwise but it is crazy to think that is the only factor effecting the .mobi market.

•••
snoop said:
This isn't seeing things for what they are in my view, the speculators market for .mobi has largely dried up, the big buyers of .mobi have left the building and the backers and other large Internet co's have gone with the competition over the last 12 months (subdomains). The fundamentals of the .mobi market have changed. The economy has no doubt pushed prices even lower than they would have gone otherwise but it is crazy to think that is the only factor effecting the .mobi market.
I respect you have probably done your research just as I have done. All I'm gonna say is we'll see what happens.

Night!

•••
cosmicray said:
I should of said that in the few years we may see THOUSANDS of new TLDs

... feel better now :hehe:
Sure, why not, its equally as truthful (or not) as your previous statement.:lol: Try limiting the fiction in your 'facts' next time.

•••
snoop said:

Answer my questions Snoop?

Why do you care about this ".mobi", and why are you Pro/Anti .mobi?

What monetization will work best for you if .mobi sinks or swims?

Do you even like "snoop dog" if so...name your favorites/or do you like snoopy?

Unless your the real snoop......?????????????

everyone is waiting your answer??? at least I am.

Last:.....State your great domains that you own!

:)

EVERYONE IS WAITING FOR YOUR REPLY

•••
Snoop's a good domainer and he has been right more often than most if not everyone on this board with his predictions (not just related to .mobi but the domain world as a whole).

http://www.namepros.com/domains-for-sale-make-offer/485979-jjj-com.html?highlight=jjj.com
http://www.namepros.com/high-priced-domains/473633-fff-com.html?highlight=fff.com
http://www.namepros.com/domains-for-sale-make-offer/482236-mll-com.html
+ more on the other forum.

Let's keep this about .mobi and not get personal :)

thebiffenator said:
Answer my questions Snoop?

Why do you care about this ".mobi", and why are you Pro/Anti .mobi?

What monetization will work best for you if .mobi sinks or swims?

Do you even like "snoop dog" if so...name your favorites/or do you like snoopy?

Unless your the real snoop......?????????????

everyone is waiting your answer??? at least I am.

EVERYONE IS WAITING FOR YOUR REPLY

•••
I respect you Reecen too the utmost :)

I am sorry, this nothing but a nevereding story :(

Happpy 4th everyone :)

•••
Valuations have changed because of the economy. .mobi itself has not changed

That's incredibly oversimplified. It's barely even an argument.

There is a lot of good discussion in this entire thread about why mobi has faltered in valuation. No one argues that the economy is doing well. However you dismiss the effects of a bad economy long-term on mobi. As a very new extension that has yet to take foot in the mindset of consumers it's very vulnerable to short-term changes. Unlike dot com which is a proven market leader and through thick or thin will prevail as a solid investment. If dot com goes down...expect mobi to go down harder. So from that perspective mobi is a larger risk for any speculator and thus it's own demise begins in a circle of sellers getting out and buyers not wanting in.

Again..that's irrelevant to the discussion. It's a straw man argument to bring in a persons portfolio when discussing the status of mobi valuations. I have seen this logic before where mobi holders feel if you don't own any great mobi's or you own really good dot coms then somehow you are threatened by mobi. I own just about everything. Most of the domainers even so-called naysayers own some mobis. The infamous Jeff owns some mobis (or at least he did). What a members portfolio consists of shouldn't be called into question.

•••
labrocca said:
There is a lot of good discussion in this entire thread about why mobi has faltered in valuation. No one argues that the economy is doing well. However you dismiss the effects of a bad economy long-term on mobi. As a very new extension that has yet to take foot in the mindset of consumers it's very vulnerable to short-term changes. Unlike dot com which is a proven market leader and through thick or thin will prevail as a solid investment. If dot com goes down...expect mobi to go down harder. So from that perspective mobi is a larger risk for any speculator and thus it's own demise begins in a circle of sellers getting out and buyers not wanting in.
I'm not arguing with this. I have my opinions/research about the long term and you have yours. There's no way to be absolutely sure of the outcome so we'll just have to wait and see what happens. My main question is when (or even if) the economy is gonna pick up...

Last edited:
•••
labrocca said:
An actual session on the death of mobi...lol. I couldn't have made that one up if I had spent all day. Incredible.

These poor presenters are going to take the fall for thinking like domainers instead of marketing people. This whole presentation appears to take anti mobi domainer sentiment out of context by thinking it applies to companies regging their own trademarks and company names.

The presenters here are doing a huge disservice to themselves since they are basically telling all of the multinational corporations that have developed mobis and are getting traffic for them that it is a waste of money. They are going to end up looking very foolish since I believe someone from Disney is presenting there as well. At last count Disney has three developed .mobi's that are going strong.

Last edited:
•••
coast said:
These poor presenters are going to take the fall for thinking like domainers instead of marketing people. This whole presentation appears to take anti mobi domainer sentiment out of context by thinking it applies to companies regging their own trademarks and company names.

The presenters here are doing a huge disservice to themselves since they are basically telling all of the multinational corporations that have developed mobis and are getting traffic for them that it is a waste of money. They are going to end up looking very foolish since I believe someone from Disney is presenting there as well. At last count Disney has three developed .mobi's that are going strong.

With moby you are spending money branding mobi at the cost of

diluting your brand and message ... so yes it is a waste of money to

promote mobey and not your own company ... I think these presenters

understand this very well ... just like AA.com understood this very well.

•••
I think prices can go up and down, it`s part of the market.

But the usage of .mobi at leats in Europe is growing daily.

This is the MAIN telecom provider in Italy (it was the only one to provide phone service just few years ago):

http://www.telecomitalia.com/

They have the .mobi version and its advertised in their home page.

Different culture maybe?

This is their .mobi site:

http://telecomitalia.mobi/index_en.html

•••
italiandragon said:
I think prices can go up and down, it`s part of the market.

But the usage of .mobi at leats in Europe is growing daily.

This is the MAIN telecom provider in Italy (it was the only one to provide phone service just few years ago):

http://www.telecomitalia.com/

They have the .mobi version and its advertised in their home page.

Different culture maybe?

Maybe a little behind the latest internet marketing practices which

usually comes out of the US.

•••
I can see that the real issue is that the USA are struggling to adopt and use any other domain that is not .com

They did not like to use .US despite it was their own country code and so why they should start using .mobi when all they are used to is .com ?

Other cultures that used to other extensions did not have a big problem in recognising .mobi for mobile usage.

•••
Here are the newspapers that have gone mobi and are being promoted in the UK:

Metro.mobi
TheSun.mobi
TheTimes.mobi
DailySport.mobi
SundaySport.mobi
NewsOfTheWorld.mobi
GuardianJobs.mobi

B-)

•••
italiandragon said:
I can see that the real issue is that the USA are struggling to adopt and use any other domain that is not .com

They did not like to use .US despite it was their own country code and so why they should start using .mobi when all they are used to is .com ?

Other cultures that used to other extensions did not have a big problem in recognising .mobi for mobile usage.
Thanks Dragon for the much needed international perspective.

•••
vJRB said:
Here are the newspapers that have gone mobi and are being promoted in the UK:

Metro.mobi
TheSun.mobi
TheTimes.mobi
DailySport.mobi
SundaySport.mobi
NewsOfTheWorld.mobi
GuardianJobs.mobi

B-)

No need for mobey ... new me.com from APPLE

one access point for the internet all syncronized as one

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/

Google Android is supposed to be as good or better.

:]

•••
italiandragon said:

Only in a very technical sense it .us the country code of the United States. In reality .com is their country code which explains why they mainly use it.

As far as .mobi goes I don't think the US is really any different to the rest of the world in adoption (or lack of it).

•••
•••
vJRB said:
Another .mobi killer!

Cool B-)

Let us not forget Blackberry has no need for mobey too. :]

•••
cosmicray said:

Now I think you are getting into something that is beyond the scope of domaining, and with all due respect I do not believe you have done the research to substantiate a claim like that. If you had, you would see that .mobi really shines when used to promote a company worldwide. I understand your theory that if a company is promoting .mobi that it is not promoting its own company. In actual practice, however, this is not the case. It is a tiny investment for a company to get its own .mobi, develop it and promote it, compared to the benefits they receive in traffic. Again, properly developed sites do well on Google, .mobi is no exception.

For the US and other countries' companies, I do believe developed mobi sites add value and therefore think .mobi works better for a company that engages customers and has something to sell, or for an informational site like iCPR.mobi which can give you instant access to lifesaving procedures.

ItalianDragon, thank you because you are completely correct. By and large, I don't believe US-based domainers are the correct market for .mobi at this time. Perhaps this will change as more end users get used to mobile browsing. Of course there are exceptions.

With that, I am taking a break from this debate. I'm not quitting Namepros, but these threads are consuming too much time and energy. I know developed .mobi's work, and if you want to read more about what I have to say about .mobi you are welcome to read my blog, http://mobienthusiast.mobi or follow me on twitter, http://twitter.com/mobienthusiast.

Last edited:
•••
cosmicray said:

If a company uses a subdomain such as m.company.com or uses mobile.company.com they would also have to market and brand that for people to know it also. Bank of America branded bofa.mobi and now they have over 1 million customers on it including myself. Do you think their .mobi domain is failing? Do you even have a .com that has over 1 million users and growing?

The presenters have their own mobile companies that would be destoryed by .mobi so of course they are against it. Just because 2 random people decide to make a speech about how they dont like .mobi for their own personal reasons that doesnt mean its the end of .mobi. There have been speeches in the past saying bad things about domaining and domainers in general so does that mean its the end of domaining?

•••
nrmillions said:
If a company uses a subdomain such as m.company.com or uses mobile.company.com they would also have to market and brand that for people to know it also. Bank of America branded bofa.mobi and now they have over 1 million customers on it including myself. Do you think their .mobi domain is failing? Do you even have a .com that has over 1 million users and growing?

True ... but if it becomes common widespread practice the public will

automatically use the subdomain ... in the end you won't even need the

subdomain ... yes mobi is failing in its original mission ...

take a look a me.com from Apple ... this is where we are headed.

•••
nrmillions said:
If a company uses a subdomain such as m.company.com or uses mobile.company.com they would also have to market and brand that for people to know it also.

hmm
As for mobile subdomain, I don't think people type in the subdomain in order to get into mobile version of the site. A lot of the sites with mobile.company.com or m.company.com made it so that you only need to go to company.com using your mobile device to be automatically redirected to mobile/m.company.com.

•••
mrdomainman said:
hmm
As for mobile subdomain, I don't think people type in the subdomain in order to get into mobile version of the site. A lot of the sites with mobile.company.com or m.company.com made it so that you only need to go to company.com using your mobile device to be automatically redirected to mobile/m.company.com.

What if you dont want to be on the mobile version of the site? Your phone has to take you to it anyway? even though you are visiting the .com?

•••
nrmillions said:
What if you dont want to be on the mobile version of the site? Your phone has to take you to it anyway? even though you are visiting the .com?

That means your phone and its browser are good enough to view any .com type sites, and there is no need for mobile or .mobi type sites.
...and then I guess any/all mobile version of the sites will disappear eventually if majority of the phones gets technologically advanced with full internet viewing capability browser in which the users favor.

imo

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back