IT.COM

I am a fool again, My Afternic and LLL.mobi story.

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I am a fool and probably will be again when it comes to buying and selling domains. This time it involves Afternic and short LLL.mobi domains. So here is how it went down:

I recently signed up for Afternic as it is one of the usual 3 names thrown around when people talk about a domain sale. I posted about 15 of domains and have been monitoring views. I also like to see how other sales are going so I starting using the advanced search to view bids on particular extensions. I selected the extension, hit search and sorted by bids. WOW, look at all the bids.

Somehow, I started searching for 3 character acronyms and starting really investigating LLL.mobi domains. WOW, look at all the LLL.MOBI listings with min. bids of $300 or more and many have 4 bids or more!!! The 3 char short domain frenzy has finally reached even the mobi extension. I should start looking for some. You guessed it, most 3 char combos are taken but I managed to find 4 that were available and yes I registed all 4 for $6.99 each. Tell me what they are really worth...don't worry I think I already know.

So after doing some real in depth reviews of all those bids I was seeing on those LLL.mobis...you guessed it not one seems to be from after Late 2008. On top of that, most seem to be from the same bidder (could be an Afternic agent I guess). In other words, these are fossil bids from the same bidder and I can't really tell you if they are legitimate or not. They sure got me fired up about LLL.mobi and so I sit here a fool once again. Well, at least I found 5 available and only registered 4.

Anyone interested in OJG.mobi, UJJ.mobi, URF.MOBI, UJE.MOBI LOL.

PS, I do not know if these bids are really intentional deception but I do know, that they sure benefit Afternic by representing a frenzied market that does not exist. How many people have bid on, registered or have taken out appraisals on LLL.mobi domains based on these fossil bids? Hopefully I was the only fool.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
$300 each - sure that does not sound right :)
Hopefully you will keep in touch with the market from now on :)

•••
How do you keep in touch with the market and dont allow something like this to happen?

•••
Check reported sales at dnjournal & dnsaleprice etc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back