IT.COM

advice LL.rs -- Keeper or dropper this year?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
so I have a tiny dilema.. I know they all go backorder on istanco or others when they are dropped.. I think its like 30eur there or something.. so its not like you can just go ahead and reg LL.rs domains all day long for regfee.. it hasn't been the case for aorund 1 year I think..... plus LL always has some uses and sale potential... in most extensions.. and imo .rs is one of the better ones..

so.. wanted to get some input from you about which of mine may be worth keeping or dropping.. cause I own around 20.. and I don't want to invest in renewing them all.

how about you? are you dropping your LL.rs domains this year? what are you keeping and what are you dropping.. hey! maybe we can do a...........swap! how about that.

let's hear some comments.. 2 brains is better than one.. are you seeing any good abbreviations and potential on my list? show yours!

cheers

p.s. to keep this ontopic for intrested folk, please do not post anything other thna LL.rs domains. thanks!

03....rs
04....rs
05....rs
46....rs
47....rs
pd....rs
rn....rs
sy....rs
vi....rs
wr....rs
xn....rs
fy....rs
ky....rs
py....rs
qk....rs
rw....rs
wy....rs
xf....rs
xe....rs
xt....rs
zv....rs
zm....rs

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I sold one LL.rs for mid XX in 2016. to foreigner. for some abbreviation url shortener site thing.
then had some low XXX offers for another LL.rs from a serbian guy who had same initials as domain
Url shortener is another possible usage. Short ccTLDs are popular for this. BUT I think people aren't going to pay much because they can choose among many domains and extensions. For a url shortener the actual domain usually doesn't matter as long as it's short (and not too expensive to renew). Whereas a domain hack is an 'abbreviation' for an exact keyword, and cannot be substituted for another domain name.

LL.ctld can still be handregged BTW.

but i think you may be onto something when yuo say local endusers only... or great moajorrity.
I tend to be conservative :) But I think the name should be viable for the local market. That simply gives you more options :) There are just too many domains for which no end user exists.

makes one wonder if all those LL.al sales were for locals too.
To other domain investors ? Not a bad thing imo, but they will need to be patient. Albania is still among the poorest countries of Europe.

•••
Totally agree @Kate

(except for .de which has a greater reach than Germany cause more countries speak German)

I'd again let you know my .at take cause you may can translate into your situation.

@alcy you know/speak Serbia?

If yes:

I'd search for abbreviations and acronyms and meanings of your terms.. in my case even some companies got my LL directly.

Business directories and chambers of commerce are a good source.

Search by beginning letter and see if there's some fit to your names.

Also abbreviations and "meanings" and product databases.

Street names and the business under that number (eg we have some clubs, bars even doctors.. all using their address as business name or "aka name")

I can tell you that I found so much insight and "exact matches" plus "maybe fits" that I'm fit for doing outbound very soon.

Another case:

"derStandard" -> means theStandard
is one of the bigger news outlets here.

They got the names derStandard/at, standard/at and some others..

exclusively for mobile, social and shortening, they use dst/at
maybe now they also got ds/at (don't know)

Just a small example, but making a good case of end-user here.

With some of my more terrible names, I still search for applications and uses (eg: 0n, h0) :bag:
If all else fails I maybe make up some meaning and do a little site .. then sell

Last edited:
•••
Url shortener is another possible usage. Short ccTLDs are popular for this. BUT I think people aren't going to pay much because they can choose among many domains and extensions. For a url shortener the actual domain usually doesn't matter as long as it's short (and not too expensive to renew). Whereas a domain hack is an 'abbreviation' for an exact keyword, and cannot be substituted for another domain name.

LL.ctld can still be handregged BTW.

I tend to be conservative :) But I think the name should be viable for the local market. That simply gives you more options :) There are just too many domains for which no end user exists.

To other domain investors ? Not a bad thing imo, but they will need to be patient. Albania is still among the poorest countries of Europe.

oh yeah true.. there is yet another category isn't there
aside from foreign investor like us
or the local enduser..
I guess there is also the local investor ;)
lol how is that for complicating things.
jk

and yes, true.. I am sure there are many LL ctlds left to reg.
like I Said I am not familiar with most of them (there must be what? 100s??)
but the ones I know of.. when comes to smaller poorer countres... so .rs .al no more left to reg for LL

thanks

•••
There are 250+ ccTLDs, not all allow 2C and they each have their own rules, restrictions and prices, some of which are deal breakers. There's no backup from ICANN so some of them are like wild wild west, and you're dealing with the laws of the country you choose.

Also there have been and will continue to be landrush registry releases, if you noticed the recent AT Austria 2C LandRush auctions, and IE Ireland had theirs earlier 2016
Short are awesome, I love them, 2-3C in 22 different ccTLDs : grin :
https://www.namepros.com/posts/5922757/

and gimme a day on the cheaper RS - I am testing one I used last year for a single RS to see if payment is still simple, price US$15.20ish so maybe not worth the hassle, and customer support is more of a challenge, istanco support is stellar by comparison. ~US$14 is cheapest I found untested and can't see how they take payments, if wire transfer only that's a dealbreaker

FYI wholesale registrar cost of RS for benchmark, plus registrars have some upfront and yearly fees to maintain accreditation as well
reg and renew 1350 Serbian Dinar equals 11.66 US Dollar
owner change 400 Serbian Dinar equals 3.45 US Dollar

•••
There are 250+ ccTLDs, not all allow 2C and they each have their own rules, restrictions and prices, some of which are deal breakers. There's no backup from ICANN so some of them are like wild wild west, and you're dealing with the laws of the country you choose.

Also there have been and will continue to be landrush registry releases, if you noticed the recent AT Austria 2C LandRush auctions, and IE Ireland had theirs earlier 2016
Short are awesome, I love them, 2-3C in 22 different ccTLDs : grin :
https://www.namepros.com/posts/5922757/

and gimme a day on the cheaper RS - I am testing one I used last year for a single RS to see if payment is still simple, price US$15.20ish so maybe not worth the hassle, and customer support is more of a challenge, istanco support is stellar by comparison. ~US$14 is cheapest I found untested and can't see how they take payments, if wire transfer only that's a dealbreaker

FYI wholesale registrar cost of RS for benchmark, plus registrars have some upfront and yearly fees to maintain accreditation as well
reg and renew 1350 Serbian Dinar equals 11.66 US Dollar
owner change 400 Serbian Dinar equals 3.45 US Dollar

ok thanks.
no prob. you need not do that unless you wanna.. I thought some may have like $5-10 prices. if higher then I'd stick to istanco

I understand they all have fees and want to make money. just wasn't sure waht their costs were.

mind you, those charing $50-100 for .rs reg or renew still making a lot of money it seems! :)

then again, maybe they aren't cause people realize they're getting ripped off.

tnx

•••
Last year i sold like 20+ two letter .ee (without aeiuv) in sedo auctions to Chinese. I mean i got $1500+ for some of them. Why they started to buy them Indon't know. They where clueless like always, just had a lot money to spend. It was like Christmas. Now they can't sell them for even €500.
And they wanted the ugly ones, with xzvywq letters:) i mean no Estonian will use them.
So thats your hope!! Maybe the Chinese will start to buy up! Then its right time to sell.

So I would renew them, if they are onlu €16 a year

Last edited:
•••
Last year i sold like 20+ two letter .ee (without aeiuv) in sedo auctions to Chinese. I mean i got $1500+ for some of them. Why they started to buy them Indon't know. They where clueless like always, just had a lot money to spend. It was like Christmas. Now they can't sell them for even €500.
And they wanted the ugly ones, with xzvywq letters:) i mean no Estonian will use them.
So thats your hope!! Maybe the Chinese will start to buy up! Then its right time to sell.

So I would renew them, if they are onlu €16 a year

thats some great work right there for you

by sedo auctions did you mean you setup that whole $60 or so X day auction or just makeoffer or bin listing??? I'm assuming its the former.. mine have been also on sedo all year long.. makeoffer only.. and no bites or offers of any kind.

.ee doesn't seem better than .al or .rs or just about any other out there.. except for being repeat letters.. and the country is clearly as poor as albania or serbia.. .maybe worse..
so this is good news for sure.. well I got about 20 more days to think about it

its $16 btw.. not euro..

my thought was renew 2-3.. but maybe I'll do half or so.

cheers thanks!

p.s. do you own other LL cctld? any bites on those if you do?

•••
.ee doesn't seem better than .al or .rs or just about any other out there.. except for being repeat letters.. and the country is clearly as poor as albania or serbia.. .maybe worse..
We are talking about Estonia, that is more developed and much more tech-savvy than those other two countries :)

•••
We are talking about Estonia, that is more developed and much more tech-savvy than those other two countries :)

lol
okay I shut up now.
I obviously need to catch up on where those little european places are sitting tech wise these days
hahahha

but aren't you the least suprised single domains LL.ee were fetching him 1500$ or so? and how do you link .ee or estonia to the chinese then?

anyone see patterns anywhere lol

•••
Chinese have bought loads of crap that's for sure. Don't try to rationalize their purchases.
As for Estonia, it's a small market. I am sure the TLD is pretty good but the pool of possible buyers will be limited. You have to buy smart and be patient... I have sold LL.cctld in European extensions for low $,$$$. They can be rewarding.
Some countries are less advanced than others when it comes to the Internet and e-commerce, so the value of the local extension reflect that state of affairs.
Anyway, back to .rs.
But as you can see the same reasoning can be applied to other countries.

•••
This question should "drop or keep". I did ask myself once in past when my LL.al date renewal were expired. I have about less than 10 of them so I did renewed them for another year with good discount from registra.
Honestly, traffic isnt that much too and no offer yet at this point.

•••
many! EU ccTLD only have small market -> calls for end user only IMO

There are well developed EU countries and there are very poor ones.. hard to find your way without being a "insider" to some kind.. and at least get past the language(s) barrier (G translate will not suffice)

•••
I have a lot .ee and some .fi 2 letters.
Last week sold one .fi two letter for €2100 in sedo
Estonia is not that poor as Albania etc..
Finland is rich. A lot more people
You can check namebio for .ee sales most are mine.
Ee means something in Chinese, but i don't remember anymore.
They made offers in sedo and i pushed to auction.
They are clueless, because they also took all nn, nnn before they where all available to register, noone wanted them.
Before that i had one ll.ee end-user sale for €2500. End-user was not Estonian company
People don't want to pay for domains. At least not estonians

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back