Dynadot

analysis 2021 Sales trends: You might want to read this.

NameSilo
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
2021 has been a weird year for my sales.

I've been doing pretty good, can't complain overall but it has definitely been a rollercoaster and caught me by surprise.

Here's what I've found.

Quick note first: My xxx range sales have my been bread and butter until now. However in 2021 my 4-fig sales toppled 3-fig range, and sine March I've seen a constant decline in 3-fig sales.

I've been also noticing this in the NP sales thread - same pattern.

Let's look first at some global domain sales stats graphs first (thanks to @Michael from Namebio) and then we can draw some conclusions:

Last 12 months 4-fig sales ($1K+): (click the images to zoom)

1.png

As you can see above, the average domain price has been on the rise lately. After the November peak, which BTW is pretty much a momentary increase, we can see solid growth in 2021 for 4-fig sales, currently at $5K..$6K average price. There is a dip there at the end that I assign to summer vacation etc so don't worry about that.

4-fig sales volume (growth):

2.png

BTW these are aggregate stats for all domain sales regardless of TLD. Notably though, .com sales are driving the market overall, no wonder there.

Now let's look at the low end of sales:

$100...$199 Sales price:

3.png

As you can see, there is a constant decrease in price over the last 12 months. You can try different price range on Namebio depending on your portfolio but overall you will see this decline which is not huge but still significant for market trend.

$100...$199 Sales volume:

4.png

After a steep growth and peak in March, it has been constantly declining. Which I also seen in my own sales and been talking about this previously in my posts. I was constantly wondering what's going on lately as I seen a sharp decline in xxx sales after mid-March.

Finally, let's look at:

$299 - $999 range Sales Volume:

5.png

Prices have been rather constant so I haven't posted that, but if you look at this graph you will see a similar trend with a peak in March and a decline in sales since then.

My conclusions here:

- The higher end of the market is going stronger than ever. I'm keeping my 4-fig prices and adjusting some upwards. I would not recommend reducing your prices, and perhaps some of yours might still support an increase.

- Summer is here, so sales will definitely go down (they already have). I would suggest not to worry about that and simply await the fall. (Worrying won't help BTW.) We can expect things to pick up momentum from September onward, unless (my opinion) the dreaded Rona starts to lockdown the world again; hopefully not.

- There is a constant but moderate decline in xxx sales price due to obvious price pressure in the market. However sellers have resisted this, in my opinion. My advice would be to perhaps adjust the most expensive domains you have under $299 by a bit. Not everything but those that, in your opinion, might be perceived as expensive for an end-user, small business just starting etc.

- Low xxx range sales have been on the rise and peaking in March, but then declining. However the trend is still alright overall. I suspect the early rise has been due to people thinking their upcoming 2021 journey and investing into new names, but then this investment has obviously reduced as summer approached. So I don't foresee any increase but a decrease until about October or so. But we can again expect a sharp increase during autumn as buyers will start investing into names for 2022.

Overall, things are not looking bad for the industry, but the contrary. Also everything above mid x,xxx range has been killing it lately. I'd invest in higher value domains today if I were you.

Anyway you might want to head on to Namebio and do searches for your own portfolio price ranges and see what's what with precision. Side note we all should do such analysis' periodically, for predictability in our upcoming sales. And especially to correctly select what kind of names we are investing right now.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to comment with your conclusions!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some extra comments:

Due to having no sales lately for my $199 price level, I'm decreasing most of that to $149 right now. Will post back here if there are improvements in sales. Seems a better fit to the mid-market level price.

I've also increased some of the 4-fig a bit and kept the high xxx range mostly unchanged.

Another strange thing this year is that my clearance $75 price level does not work anymore on Afternic. Same for $99 - they didn't work at all in 2021. It works on other venues - but not on Afternic. I assume there's something the platform does nowadays with the very low priced ones, because everyone out there loves a discount, and it worked in other places. But there's no concrete proof yet of that, will keep monitoring.

•••
Any updates on the Afternic discount pricing? Better luck at that price on different specific venues? Any effective pricing strategy changes? Thanks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back