Dynadot

Linux or Windows hosting? What do you prefer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I'm interested to know which OS you prefer to host your sites on. Also, why do you like that particular OS?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
linux - i dont care around figuring out windows when my beloved CHMOD wouldnt be there :lol: :yell:

Anyways, I use microsoft enough already, time to use something else for a change

-Steve

•••
i like linix

less outages and no need to reboot when u install something

•••
Linux! Much less frustrating, cleaner, easier to use. Many less headaches.

•••
Hi,
I own Linux and Windows servers, i personally prefer Linux, but the Windows are good for the ASP.net Developers.

Thank you

Sin

•••
Linux/Unix without a doubt

•••
I prefer only to use the right tool for the right job. Unless I specifically need something that one platform can not support, or it is significantly easier to do something on one over the other I don't really care. I probably have more sites on Windows, but that's mainly because I have more Windows servers. Not of what I host on Linux is there because it simply isn't feasible to do the same thing on Windows.

•••
urbanhostonline said:
I'm interested to know which OS you prefer to host your sites on. Also, why do you like that particular OS?

I think Linux is much more stable and reliable. I used windows hosting before and it was nightmare and good luck chmod'ing :)

•••
realtechtalk said:
I think Linux is much more stable and reliable. I used windows hosting before and it was nightmare and good luck chmod'ing :)

I defiantly agree with you. I prefer to offer linux hosting for the ease of use. I have been battling to determine whether or not it was worth it to offer windows hosting.

•••
Oh i have always preferred somone withe linux server while looking for hosting and with sssh access cause than i can zip my 100mb forums anytime i want without waiting for 1 day to download the whole folder. I love Linux hosters and those with ssh are awesome. I also like the penguin.

•••
Microsoft is doing so bad with their OS in the server market. Linux is alot more secure, compatible, and easier to use plus it is free except for RedHat.

•••
pros and cons to both
both are very stable (even though linux has the edg imho)

but linux is my fav.

•••
Like everyone else, I'd prefer Linux over Windows.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Windows! LOL I'm the only one. Wait there's another one *Looking at the poll*. :D

•••
Linux :) (allthough for fun i set my windows PC up as a server, aswell as the linux OS, hehe)

•••
technically speaking the question is not correct.
Why? The only reaso for wich one would prefer to host on windows servers is because he has some application that run only on windows.
If is not that the case there is no difference for you to host on windows or Linux, you'll never notice any difference.

than the question of reliability , security ecc. is another problem.
I trust much more Linux for that, and generally speaking it is cheaper host on Linux servers.
IMHO

•••
for maybe the first time ever i shall say "i think i prefer windows in this situation".... but only because i like to use ASP which isn't supported on linux servers..... if it was, i would be linux all the way :)

•••
•••
Linux, cuz it's non-Gates and cuz you can install cPanel on it :]

•••
linux always, i am verymuch familar with linux that's why i choose linux but i would prefer windows from my mind.

•••
Linux is a hell of a lot more stable etc. IMO :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back