IT.COM

Windows Or Linux Hosting?

NameSilo
Watch
Hi All,
We are conducting a survey and we want to find out what Web Masters/Web Developers/Designers prefer to use for their hosting. Do they prefer Windows Hosting or Linux Hosting?

What if the Web pages are designed in HTML and you find a Windows and a Linux Host offering their services for the same price (considering the competition in the hosting industry these days). Which one will you choose?

Please share your views.

Cheers
Dan
SeekDotNet Hosting
ASP.NET, DotNetNuke Hosting, PHP Hosting
http://www.seekdotnet.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I prefer linux mainly because I do most of my programming in php/mysql :)

•••
Linux, same reason as above, php/mysql

•••
•••
hmmm wont let me vote but I will do it here I would go with Linux

•••
It won't let me vote either but Linux.

•••
LINUX. Stability, Security, and lower TCO

•••
Linux for now,Cost less.php/mysql friendly.

•••
Long Live Linux... The Best!

•••
•••
Linux. Bar none. The cost-performance ratio is simply unbeatable.

•••
•••
I go for LINUX... :gl:
Microsoft is monopoly... >:(

•••
Linux is the best, Windows has just too many problems

•••
For the general work, *nix is the way to go (it saves the host and customer $$$$$).

For those programmers into software design/and doing corporate level work (like heavy db tweaking/maintaining), Windows all of the way -- as they're not using *nix and mysql as they have little time to tweak settings (they're debugging their work instead) and mysql is too limiting.

It just depends on what market you're aiming to cater too. The volume, or where the serious capital is.

CKL

•••
Thanks for the reply guys. Linux WINS!!!!!!!

•••
I suppose Linux does win--I use it for most machines. But at least one of the posts above gave you a decent response about Windows. There are developers who are VERY demanding for speed of development and complexity of demand--such situations typically can only be met with a MS solution.

I love to hate MS as much as the next guy, but there are jobs for which MS is nearly the only real solution.

•••
I thought mysql was the way to go -- it's free, it gets the job done and even labor extensive forums us it. But one of my relatives that caters to the MS corporate world, told me otherwise. Those who have to make a living at db work, aren't using mysql, as it's too limiting. They're using MS Sql instead (even though there's other flavors to choose from and they can afford anyone).

So that was an eye opener. Then when I heard that vBulletin might run faster on a Windows server, it became even a more eye opener ( in the future I'm going to test that out -- when one of my relatives can sell me his MS developer pack with MS SQL [which he gets all for free, along with all of the other hardware] :'( ).

It's getting to be a two tiered web hosting market now. For the general public, and the dev market (which has to have a MS solution, since it's MS software they're developing).

I picked both, since there's a market for each.

CKL

•••
Somehow I can't vote? Anyways.

If I were to vote, I'd pick both. Windows hosting of the reliability (better than Linux) and Linux for all the features and speed. Yet, windows hosting is not as popular as to Linux, many reasons. But Linux has its reasons too.. PHP/MySQL 1st said. Very very fast speed.

I agree with Chris

•••
I'd have to go with linux, windows servers are just not dependable. I've seen linux servers go months without a reboot. I don't think I've seen a windows server yet that can make it over 30 days without being rebooted.

I have both linux and windows servers that I use for testing purposes and I much prefer the linux. Although I will admit that in many cases windows is easier to work with.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back