Dynadot

Муцы on reasonability of two OS hosting providing

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Views on reasonability of two OS hosting providing

Some hosts, especially the old ones, do provide both linux and windows hosting solutions. But knowing the major market part of sites is run under linux, I would like to ask about your views on the reasonability of bi-OS hosting providing.

Having enough resources is it worth expanding to the windows segments having linux already provided and vice versa?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I suppose the reason is only present when there are stable marketing positions and enough resources for this. No point advertising the features or OS you cannot maintain correctly thus becoming an overseller.

•••
Providing Windows hosting and doing it right, is not something that comes easy. I'm not sure why, but it may be due to a relative lack of highly trained professionals, or that such professionals get higher wages in other IT fields, other than web hosting.

In any case, it seemed to me other the years that it was mostly the providers that focused on Windows hosting or Linux hosting, not both that were gaining a good reputation. I have seen a few exceptions over the years though (Jodohost, Cartikahosting come to mind).

•••
Thanks for the replies. My opinion is the offering the two Operating systems is only reasonable when the trust has been earned, and the technical stability allows. Otherwise it is only reasonable to provider either one or another. Only the big and stable company can afford low-cost windows hosting .

•••
Exactly and only old and reliable hosts offer both Operating systems mainly because Windows OS is an expensive solution than Linux.

•••
This is not always true, I know some hosts which have been single OS-ed for very log time and doesn't seem to regret. However I still believe it is reasonable for bigger providers to attract new customers who prefer one or another OS.

•••
Back