Dynadot

Windows vs. Linux

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,
what do you think about it?
How is the best OS for host servers??? :wave:
I'm prefering Windows 2003 std ed. but I have seen that Linux hoster offer more hard disk space and yearly data transfer than Windows hoster, that's true or not??? :-/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thats not true, you can get hacked even if you are using linux, but it will not be a simple/easy hack attack. windows is easier to hack due to unpatched servers. linux and other *nix based OSes usually has less critical vulnerabilities than windows. also you have another advnatage with *nix based OSes. for small/medium software changes to your setup, you wont have to restart your server, just the affected service. which is way faster than a restart. in windows, most changes require a restart. also many great software is available free for linux based distros, but you will have to shell out good money for their windows equivalent.

•••
Linux is the bast and is used the most or it is for me on every host i have been to it is always linux server

•••
i like linux for hosting coz its reliable :imho:

•••
Linux have better performance than windows and more secure.

•••
Lindows

Linux is very flexible but Windows approven.
My thought is that Windows used most and it will be preferable in future.
I take Windows. :sold:

•••
Alex222 said:
Linux is very flexible but Windows approven.
My thought is that Windows used most and it will be preferable in future.
I take Windows. :sold:

That's an awfully bad perception to point out when in fact most governments in Europe and South America are now getting rid of windows and using BSD/Linux in their infrastructure and pretty much encouraging its use to the population ;).

•••
Spinky said:
I have heard some rumors that you cant get hacked when you use Linux, is that true?

No, it's not true.

Both Windows & Linux have vulnerabilities that can be used to hack your server.

Once discovered Linux vulnerabilities tend to be fixed sooner, but Microsoft have been getting better at providing fixes to critical errors. The speed of producing patches is only a small part as in either case the fix won't help you until it is applied to your server and if you are renting space on someone else's server you are at the mercy of when they choose to update their software.

One thing that makes a big difference is the number of services installed and activated by defaut. Windows installs a large number of services on a default install. Some Linux distributions also default to installing quite a few services. The key thing to remember is that a service that's not installed can't be used to compromise your server. If you control the server, switch off every service you don't need to run, if reasonable, also uninstall that service. If you don't control the server, investigate what's running on it before renting hosting.

tyler79 said:
How is the best OS for host servers??? :wave:

There's seldom a straight answer, it's usually "Which x is best for a purpose?" So I'd like to redefine the question as "Which operating system (OS) is best for your hosting requirements?"

The answer to this really depends on what you want to host, the cost of the different hosting options, and your level of comfort with the different options.

If you are planning to just have static html pages, Windows & Linux are both good at this and you can either opt for a low cost option or pick your host on any other criteria that seems reasonable to you.

If you are planning on running a pre-written package (e.g. a php forum script), check out the requirements for the package you'd like to run.
  • If the package requires one operating system, that's your choice.
  • If the package is written for one operating system but can be made to run on the other with a large list of tweaks, patches, and install steps you can still pick either OS, but you need to remember that every time there is an upgrade you'll need to repeat most of those fiddly steps again.
  • If the package looks as easy to install on one OS as the other, then once again you are back to price / comfort.

If you are planning on developing a completely new package or application, there really isn't a choice. Any reasonable costing of your time is going to so greatly outweigh the cost of hosting that you should choose the environment where you will be most productive.

tyler79 said:
I'm prefering Windows 2003 std ed. but I have seen that Linux hoster offer more hard disk space and yearly data transfer than Windows hoster, that's true or not??? :-/

One of the features of the capitalist system is that over time the price of commodity goods falls to marginally more than the cost of producing those goods. Internet hosting has been undergoing this process recently and the price of hosting has dropped to the point where it is practically at cost. If Windows hosting is more expensive to buy than Linux hosting it's because it costs the hosting company more to provide it.

More important than the cost of the cheapest hosting you can find is to ask yourself
  • What's the true cost of the hosting, including my time?
  • How reliable will the hosting company be?
  • How reliable will the hosting itself be?
  • Will the server be badly overloaded?
  • Can I smoothly change to a bigger hosting package as my business grows?

Best wishes

•••
kiore said:
No, it's not true.

Both Windows & Linux have vulnerabilities that can be used to hack your server.

Once discovered Linux vulnerabilities tend to be fixed sooner, but Microsoft have been getting better at providing fixes to critical errors. The speed of producing patches is only a small part as in either case the fix won't help you until it is applied to your server and if you are renting space on someone else's server you are at the mercy of when they choose to update their software.

One thing that makes a big difference is the number of services installed and activated by defaut. Windows installs a large number of services on a default install. Some Linux distributions also default to installing quite a few services. The key thing to remember is that a service that's not installed can't be used to compromise your server. If you control the server, switch off every service you don't need to run, if reasonable, also uninstall that service. If you don't control the server, investigate what's running on it before renting hosting.

There's seldom a straight answer, it's usually "Which x is best for a purpose?" So I'd like to redefine the question as "Which operating system (OS) is best for your hosting requirements?"

The answer to this really depends on what you want to host, the cost of the different hosting options, and your level of comfort with the different options.

If you are planning to just have static html pages, Windows & Linux are both good at this and you can either opt for a low cost option or pick your host on any other criteria that seems reasonable to you.

If you are planning on running a pre-written package (e.g. a php forum script), check out the requirements for the package you'd like to run.
  • If the package requires one operating system, that's your choice.
  • If the package is written for one operating system but can be made to run on the other with a large list of tweaks, patches, and install steps you can still pick either OS, but you need to remember that every time there is an upgrade you'll need to repeat most of those fiddly steps again.
  • If the package looks as easy to install on one OS as the other, then once again you are back to price / comfort.

If you are planning on developing a completely new package or application, there really isn't a choice. Any reasonable costing of your time is going to so greatly outweigh the cost of hosting that you should choose the environment where you will be most productive.

One of the features of the capitalist system is that over time the price of commodity goods falls to marginally more than the cost of producing those goods. Internet hosting has been undergoing this process recently and the price of hosting has dropped to the point where it is practically at cost. If Windows hosting is more expensive to buy than Linux hosting it's because it costs the hosting company more to provide it.

More important than the cost of the cheapest hosting you can find is to ask yourself
  • What's the true cost of the hosting, including my time?
  • How reliable will the hosting company be?
  • How reliable will the hosting itself be?
  • Will the server be badly overloaded?
  • Can I smoothly change to a bigger hosting package as my business grows?

Best wishes
Not entirely true.

I fail to see the point in threads like this, both OS have there advantages and disadvantages dependant on your use for them.

Theres no right operating system, only the right operating system for you :)

•••
I prefer Linux
Its more comfortable!

•••
Well well, After reading all the solutions, I have come to one conclusion: Most guys that have posted in this thread are either not in the hosting business at all or just paying for a linux server knowing that "Linux = Server; Windows = Desktop" or dont have enough experience in the field.

A very simple and logical solution which very few webhosts come up with is a Virtual-Machine based server setup. If webhosts invest some more money in Virtual Machine software, they can satisfy both, Windows and Linux clients.

I have tried a setup on my P4 2.8Ghz with 1GB RAM running Slackware as the base OS then running two Virtual Machines on it namely OpenBSD and Windows2000. Worked like a charm. Unfortunately I could not run it in a REAL environment due to the kind of connection available here but it ran perfect as a local server.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back