Dynadot

advice Letting NameSilo names expire to see if they get bids?

NameSilo
Watch

usernamex

Top Member
Impact
Ok so I have some names I am on the fence about and they are at NameSilo. If I let them expire and I want them back, NameSilo allows renewal with no penalty.

So I am curious if anyone does this on purpose. I wouldn't expect them to go for much, if anything when they got down to the $5 or $1 BIN, which then has renewal tacked on, so I would know a buyer thought it was worth $9 + bid

My inclination is if I don't care maybe I do it on purpose just to learn what happens.

I also cannot find NS policy on transfer out after expiration, I have a transfer deal I could use for cheaper.

Input and tactics welcome. : smile :

PS and is there a term for this? Expired Auction Tasting?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've faced some situations like it where owner renews their domain in last hours and park it for sale again, so this is just the same process like in GoDaddy auctions, they're tracking if there's any interest and/or maybe waiting for the last moment to renew in order to save some time for throwing cash out.

By the way, you can't transfer out your domains if they're expired at NameSilo, they need to be renewed first.

Last edited:
•••
All you will do is annoy people just to find out some reseller may also pay a few bucks for it. Just a waste of time.

•••
The only reason I thought of it is I was looking at expireds and one caught my eye so I checked the whois and it was an NP member. I can still PM them and see if they are doing the same thing or just waiting to renew.

That helps, knowing about the renewal @cyc - I was hoping I could have it both ways - tracking interest AND cheap transfer : grin :

With GD they allow expired transfer instead of redemption which makes no sense IMO.

Yes @Shimmy sitting out the 30 day expiry out of curiosity is silly, I just like to test how things work, especially if something went wrong I wouldn't care about letting the names go, so low risk.

And if anyone has a term for it or makes one up, please share.

•••
Just an update - I gave my names away here free, it wasn't worth the time to test. A better option would have been to put them in the NS Marketplace long ago and see if there was interest. From now on that is what I will do.

The name I was watching dropped to $1 so I bid and it was not renewed so I got it anyway.

•••
I've faced some situations like it where owner renews their domain in last hours and park it for sale again, so this is just the same process like in GoDaddy auctions, they're tracking if there's any interest and/or maybe waiting for the last moment to renew in order to save some time for throwing cash out.

By the way, you can't transfer out your domains if they're expired at NameSilo, they need to be renewed first.

Hi everyone. Don't mean to intrude on this thread, but I wanted to correct one thing... it is possible to transfer out expired domains. In fact, ICANN rules prevent not allowing Registrants to transfer domains in the renewal grace period and we comply with this rule and do not prevent the transfer of expired domains.

•••
Hi everyone. Don't mean to intrude on this thread, but I wanted to correct one thing... it is possible to transfer out expired domains. In fact, ICANN rules prevent not allowing Registrants to transfer domains in the renewal grace period and we comply with this rule and do not prevent the transfer of expired domains.

At the time about one of my domains are expired at NameSilo, when i try to manage domain details, just renew option was enabled to choose, other options wasn't enabled.

I don't want to promote other registrars on this topic, but, i was able to transfer out some when they're expired without renewing.

Last edited:
•••
I wasn't planning on renewing this domain, but I noticed it got a $50 bid.

upload_2017-1-19_14-35-38.png

I wonder if it's worth renewing and setting a low BIN on NS marketplace. As the person who bid $50 will be email notified by NS that the domain has been relisted on NS marketplace.

•••
At the time about one of my domains are expired at NameSilo, when i try to manage domain details, just renew option was enabled to choose, other options wasn't enabled.

I don't want to promote other registrars on this topic, but, i was able to transfer out some when they're expired without renewing.

Hello. Correct, no actions are permitted for expired domains other than to renew, but that still does not prevent transfer. If you need help in the future, please feel free to email us at [email protected], but I can confirm that we do not prevent outgoing transfers of expired domains.

•••
Hello. Correct, no actions are permitted for expired domains other than to renew, but that still does not prevent transfer. If you need help in the future, please feel free to email us at [email protected], but I can confirm that we do not prevent outgoing transfers of expired domains.

is there a rule from icann that puts a min or max timeline past ezxpiry to transfer out? or that part is left up to registrar. I know godaddy lets you do it for 40 days.. maybe 45... namecheap only arund 30.. how about you? thanks.

•••
is there a rule from icann that puts a min or max timeline past ezxpiry to transfer out? or that part is left up to registrar. I know godaddy lets you do it for 40 days.. maybe 45... namecheap only arund 30.. how about you? thanks.

There is not a specific rule form ICANN regarding number of days, but there is a rule that expiration is not a valid reason to reject transfer, so the rules are left to the registrars to implement. We allow domains to transfer out any time during the renewal grace period:

https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Expiration-Process

•••
[Rekindling this thread because I was on the other end of this recently.]

I had placed the high bid at an expired auction for auteur.co that was due to end last night, and woke up to an email from Namesilo saying the domain had been renewed. Curiously, the name now resolves to a 404 page on BuyDomains (which makes me think it was just added), which it didn’t before the domain expired - making me doubt that the actual owner renewed the domain.

How could this happen? Do you allow the domains to be backordered at the same time as running these expired auctions, @namesilo? If you do, why would you tell the auction winner that the domain was renewed by the original winner?

Last edited:
•••
How could this happen?

How do you expect a precise answer without stating the domain? ie it's speculative for them to answer how something happened without exact details.

I have placed 'winning bids' on namesilo expired domains, only to see them renewed before the auction ends. And I have also noticed some of my namesilo expired domains receiving 'winning bids' which reminded me that I needed to renew the domain, before it expires beyond my ability to renew.

•••
•••
[Rekindling this thread because I was on the other end of this recently.]

I had placed the high bid at an expired auction for auteur.co that was due to end last night, and woke up to an email from Namesilo saying the domain had been renewed. Curiously, the name now resolves to a 404 page on BuyDomains (which makes me think it was just added), which it didn’t before the domain expired - making me doubt that the actual owner renewed the domain.

How could this happen? Do you allow the domains to be backordered at the same time as running these expired auctions, @namesilo? If you do, why would you tell the auction winner that the domain was renewed by the original winner?

Hello. The domain was renewed by the original account holder. We unfortunately cannot comment as to why the domain loads what it does as it does not use our name servers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back