IT.COM

opinion Let's exploit the .blog extension Win or Bust?

NameSilo
Watch

TheWatcher

Founder, MAJ.comTop Member
Impact
Today .Blog extension open it's door. I don't like their pricing setup and thousand of keyword reserved, but what the hell. Let me get some.

I registered CyberWar.blog and now redirecting to my cyber security blog.
What's your plan using .blog extension aside the obvious "blog" posting. Let's exploit the possibility, care to share what's on your mind? What domain you successfully registered and what's your plan for the next 12 months?

Thank you,
[email protected]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
imagine the .com's they could have bought for $20M :xf.smile:
When it comes to lump sums like that you can get really nice portfolios for dimes on the so called dollar.

•••
•••
Probably would have been better off investing the $20M into 2 billion .xyz

•••
Not bad 17,060 as of today for .blog

•••
i hv:

ExoticBlog.com

but no .blog domains yet

•••
You have to think about who owns .blog and what their aim is.

Is .blog run by Wordpress.com. If so, I am guessing that they hate domainers and don't want all the best one word domains to be taken by domainers. Wordpress.com probably want the .blog domains to be used for real blogs rather than hoarded by domainers. That is why they are priced so high. In the future, they can always reduce their prices.

It may be that if you have a good proposal for a use for a premium .blog domain, Wordpress.com would give it to you at a vastly reduced price or even for free as a promotion for their platform.

•••
I tried to get some .blog but after seeing them all premium at $250+ a year, I said fk new gtlds

•••
You have to think about who owns .blog and what their aim is.

Is .blog run by Wordpress.com. If so, I am guessing that they hate domainers and don't want all the best one word domains to be taken by domainers. Wordpress.com probably want the .blog domains to be used for real blogs rather than hoarded by domainers. That is why they are priced so high. In the future, they can always reduce their prices.

It may be that if you have a good proposal for a use for a premium .blog domain, Wordpress.com would give it to you at a vastly reduced price or even for free as a promotion for their platform.

WordPress is free, why their users would pay an extremely high premium fees to get a url.... I don't get it.

•••
WordPress is free, why their users would pay an extremely high premium fees to get a url.... I don't get it.
Wordpress.com is not free if you want to use your own domain, though. Wordpress.com is not the same as the open source software called Wordpress.

•••
Wordpress.com is not free if you want to use your own domain, though. Wordpress.com is not the same as the open source software called Wordpress.

Still, bloggers wont spend $100 on a url so why $250+ when they can register name+blog dot any tld -_-

•••
Still, bloggers wont spend $100 on a url so why $250+ when they can register name+blog dot any tld -_-
I think it depends on who the blogger is. A big company that wants to set up a blog for marketing purposes might.

Wordpress.com charge $12 per year for people to host a blog using their own domain (domain registration not included).

•••
I think it depends on who the blogger is. A big company that wants to set up a blog for marketing purposes might.

Wordpress.com charge $12 per year for people to host a blog using their own domain (domain registration not included).

I see companies using blog.company.com I guess no need of .blog hehe

•••

Most likely they would fall under their trademark, take a company like Cartier, reg fee, not registered. They already own their blog in the .com, not even using it.

Last edited:
•••
No huge historical sell for gTLDs even single words. So buying two words .blog will be waste of money. There prices for so called premium names are very huge. Wait until it will be available at $0.88 NameCheap.

•••
No huge historical sell for gTLDs even single words. So buying two words .blog will be waste of money. There prices for so called premium names are very huge. Wait until it will be available at $0.88 NameCheap.

This is now how it works. They are Registry Premium which are priced by the Registry itself. NameCheap is a Registrar and may only have the control over non registry premium domains pricing.

•••
Wordpress.com probably want the .blog domains to be used for real blogs rather than hoarded by domainers. That is why they are priced so high.
Of course, other registries use the same excuse as well to justify their zany prices. They even have the nerve to say they are not speculators lol.
There is a difference between priced high (to deter speculative registrations) and stratospheric pricing that nobody can afford.

If they really want to see development, one thing they could do is grant domains at sensible prices, conditionally, by way of RFP: that is grant domains to deserving developers who have a valid project, that would enhance the extension. Some registries (ie .mobi, .info) have awarded domains through RFP in the past. Not a lot, but it's been done before.

Do you see registries doing this ? You don't. They have no understanding of how the domain market (and the Internet) works.

I am not saying it is easy for them, their business plan obviously sucks, but people never learn.

•••
•••
Today .Blog extension open it's door. I don't like their pricing setup and thousand of keyword reserved, but what the hell. Let me get some.

I registered CyberWar.blog and now redirecting to my cyber security blog.
What's your plan using .blog extension aside the obvious "blog" posting. Let's exploit the possibility, care to share what's on your mind? What domain you successfully registered and what's your plan for the next 12 months?

Thank you,
[email protected]

where can i vote : Win or Bust ? :xf.wink:

•••
.blog is a shortcut

Why .blog?
There’s always one big question that comes up when users start creating a site on WordPress.com: “What should I call it?”

Finding the right name is hard enough — it’s even more difficult to find one that works for you and is also available. This is why we’re excited about these new .blog domains.

It’s intuitive, descriptive, and it creates millions of new naming options for your WordPress.com sites.

Last edited:
•••
:ahhh:
.blog is a shortcut

Why .blog?
There’s always one big question that comes up when users start creating a site on WordPress.com: “What should I call it?”

Finding the right name is hard enough — it’s even more difficult to find one that works for you and is also available. This is why we’re excited about these new .blog domains.

It’s intuitive, descriptive, and it creates millions of new naming options for your WordPress.com sites.

Agree and woooo

I own NamingOptions .com :ahhh:

•••
One registry after another get it wrong, they never learn.

As others have mentioned it is not a great extension, bloggers use free or cheap domains so forget premium priced domains. From a domaining perspective it is an awful extension, good luck selling your regs to end users that will see $100 as too much for a .blog.

•••
I have
sponsored.blog

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Of course, other registries use the same excuse as well to justify their zany prices. They even have the nerve to say they are not speculators lol.
There is a difference between priced high (to deter speculative registrations) and stratospheric pricing that nobody can afford.

If they really want to see development, one thing they could do is grant domains at sensible prices, conditionally, by way of RFP: that is grant domains to deserving developers who have a valid project, that would enhance the extension. Some registries (ie .mobi, .info) have awarded domains through RFP in the past. Not a lot, but it's been done before.

Do you see registries doing this ? You don't. They have no understanding of how the domain market (and the Internet) works.

I am not saying it is easy for them, their business plan obviously sucks, but people never learn.

I'm seeing "premium" auction in the future.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back