NameSilo

news LAPD shoots homeless man during a struggle 5 or 6 times (Thoughts?)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I came across a video today that was recently released from an event that is becoming very controversial. The feelings of disbelief are so strong that I shared it on FaceBook and now sharing it here to see what others think.
Wow..... LAPD kills homeless man with 5 or 6 shots while he's on the ground being held by other officers. There was a struggle, but shooting the man once, let alone 5 or 6 times (killing him) was very excessive and uncalled for. it's these types of clips that blow my mind and have me questioning the ones that are paid to serve and protect us sometimes. One shot may be an accidental discharge, but 5 or 6? really?
Watch the video: https://www.facebook.com/eric.lyon.399/posts/10155158125895276?pnref=story
KTLA5 reports: Officers were dispatched to the area of East Sixth Street and South San Pedro Street (map) about 11:36 a.m. after a report of an altercation between two people, said Officer Jack Richter, spokesman for the Los Angeles Police Department.

After the officers arrived a struggle ensued, during which police tazed a man, the LAPD said. The man was then shot by police, the department said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
What are your thoughts? Could it of been handled differently?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Murder is Murder.

Last edited:
•••
Thats right... some of you are so ignorant that you think its ok that 6 POS cops have to beat the man, then taser him, then shoot him 6 times! not once or twice but... SIX TIMES!

If these POS cops can't take on one guy with 'supposed knife', then they are worthless anyway.

Whats up will all the people who are defending murderers. Murder is murder.

"But Jose Gil, 38 , said he saw the man swinging at the police and then heard one of the officers say, “Gun, gun, he's got my gun!” before police fired multiple shots."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...shoot-homeless-man-20150301-story.html#page=1

So what if that account is accurate. What would you have done in that situation if you were a police officer? Don't skip the question this time.

•••
not once or twice but... SIX TIMES!

Officers are train to shoot to kill. They are not trained to shoot one shot in the leg and then stop and see what happens.

•••
So what if that account is accurate. What would you have done in that situation if you were a police officer? Don't skip the question this time.
He will! He doesn't/won't look at this logically, he's just an angry cop hater, who if the tables were turned, would be the first one to call them if he or someone close to him was a victim of a crime. Go figure.

•••
•••
If he held the cops gun this case is over

Yeah, I watched the video again, it's hard to tell. You can hear the taser going off, you can hear people say they're still tasing him. So that was what they went with first, non-lethal force. It wasn't working, he was still resisting. There are people everywhere, they know they're being filmed. I hear one officer saying something that sounds like drop the gun or something with gun. So maybe there is some other video or the experts will go thru it and get down what exactly was said.

Last edited:
•••
This is exactly why I picked up 5 or 6 "body camera" domain names.

•••
I was pulled over once, at gunpoint.

It was scary, because at the time I did not know why... all I knew was that an officer without his lights on made a U turn down a 1 way street and put his spotlight on my car - no sirens, no other lights. It was very unusual, so I knew something was wrong.

I pulled over, rolled down all of my windows, turned on all interior lights, put the keys on the dash visible to the officer, and put both hands on the steering wheel, and as the officer approached I calmly let him know that he had the wrong person, but I would completely comply, and he could cuff me if it meant putting his firearm away.

Good thing... because he was a rookie clearly afraid for his life as he approached; I could almost hear him shaking.

Within 2 minutes there were 10 police cars and at least 20 officers around my car.

It turns out the police got a tip that someone in a white Escalade was shooting an assault rifle in the major metro downtown area; which is where I was at that moment, driving in my white Escalade.

I gave them full permission to search the car, was calm, complied, and was out of there in 15 minutes.

After that, when a police officer would approach my car to pull me over (for nothing valid of course) they would break away and move along; which happened three times. They must have put something in their database about what happened, and won't pull me over for nonsense.

On that night, I am 100% sure that If I was whining about 'my rights' and was making a scene about how I was 'innocent' I would have been shot in the face. I was calm, it took a matter of minutes, I got an apology, the officer shook my hand, and we were both on our way.

If you encounter a police officer, just answer politely, move slowly, speak clearly, accept that you are being arrested or getting a ticket, and fight it out in court; not on the streets. In just about every shooting or death someone decided to fight the police, or 'make a point', and it cost them their lives.

The only incidents I saw recently that were completely unwarranted, was the body slamming of the older Indian man who could not speak English. If you can't speak the language, you can't comply, so the officer broke his neck. That officer was arrested. The other was a true tragedy in NYC where the officer was afraid, in a stairwell, and he just shot the first black man that came down the stairway; NYPD will be compensating that family big time. There is no real compensation for loss of mobility, or loss of life... what more can be said about just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Stay safe friends.

Last edited:
•••
Remember the innocent man killed in Virginia in August of 2013? All the records got released Super Bowl weekend (11,000 pages) as the focus of the country was elsewhere

•••
•••
"It’s been nearly 17 months since John Geer bled to death after being shot in his doorway by a Fairfax County Police Officer on August 29 2013. Geer had been standing, unarmed, with his hands his head on the doorframe, speaking with police officers for 50 minutes when one of them inexplicably fired one shot into his chest"

•••
"It’s important to note that Geer committed no crime. The entire incident started when Geer’s partner, Maura Harrington, called the police to report that John was throwing her belongings out of the house. He’d become distraught after learning she was moving out and ending their relationship after 24 years. Harrington, one of Geer’s two teenage daughters, his father, and his best friend were all on site, watching as the unbelievable tragedy unfolded before them"

•••
Whatever happened, However happened, simply Tragic.

•••
This thread prompted me to catch up on South Park :)

•••
From what I have been told they shoot non homeless people also.

•••
•••
Maybe he should have just roughed him up and bitch slapped him like this thug cop beating up an old man. This is the image of the USA that the world sees:

•••
Just the stupid people in other countries. You just can't help yourself can you.

So basically, if you look, you can find police in just about any country doing bad stuff. But most of them good but that would tell more of a whole story and we wouldn't want that now. Doesn't fit in with your America hatin' posts that litter the other thread.

Last edited:
•••
A riot video from 1960 or so in Japan makes it all OK for US cops today? You just can't help yourself, can you? Cops in Japan generally tolerate all kinds of abuse routinely. Yet nobody ends up dead. This is more recent. Watch how the Japanese cops handle a big violent black guy. Maybe US cops could take lessons. I shudder to think what they would have done to this guy.

•••
Videos of police brutality without any police brutality in them? That's a new one. Google away, JB. It ain't gonna change the obvious facts.

•••
This is the image of the USA that the world sees:

It's amazing your country of Japan is 4th in tourism in the world to the United States. It's why I said "stupid people" in other countries. Maybe it's your image because of stuff we've gone over in the other thread. But not everybody shares your one track mind image. Not everybody blankets countries or police departments because of certain incidents. It's probably the image you see because you like to look for that stuff all the time (negative stuff and mostly stuff about police), pushing out everything else (positive stuff). Try a more balanced approach, it's usually the more accurate and fair one. Also, you're not the world's spokesman.

Last edited:
•••
Try a more balanced approach, it's usually the more accurate and fair one.
Good advice. I'm not sure why you are so interested in Japan, yet haven't visited. There are daily reports (and videos) of police violence in the US, far and away outweighing anything we see here. Even if Japanese police were violent, would that make it OK for the US police to be violent?

It's amazing your country of Japan is 4th in tourism in the world to the United States.
The US is the biggest source of tourists to Mexico. Does that make Mexico a safe country? How are tourism stats relevant?

It's why I said "stupid people" in other countries.
And is it possible to disagree with your opinions without being "stupid?" I taught my kids not to call people that, as it reflects poorly on them. Are those in this thread who believe there is a problem with police violence in the US all stupid? Are the Japanese who visit the US and still have this impression also stupid?

•••
I'm saying most people probably don't view a country based solely on negative police accounts like you do. We have almost 320 million people here, of course you can find bad stuff. I can find bad stuff with teachers. But I could find many more good things, that kind of stuff you like to pretend doesn't exist.

And of course police violence, when it's wrong, is bad anywhere.

My response was to this, what you said:

"This is the image of the USA that the world sees:"

Which is making the point I made in the first sentence of this post. I think the smart people in this world would take a lot more into account than what you posted. Goes back to your other posts, it's always America.......police brutality. That's basically the only scope you use, so you think the rest of the world does as well.

Last edited:
•••
They just MURDERED an innocent man and all you can say this^. Good grief. You must have no moral compass. (maybe you should become a thief & murderer, i mean cop)

Cops are pieces of SH*T, Worst scum on the planet.

Shame on you, and these murderers.

SHAME ON YOU! for painting with such a broad brush.

Thanks for your flawed sentiment. You just disrespected my father and I would not be able to sleep tonight if I didnt respond to you. People who know me, know that I would I'd tell you this to your face too..

My dad, a cop for over 25 years, never harmed a hair on anyone's head. Yet he risked his life every day for people where he served. He was shot at, had rocks thrown at him, was spit on....... just for walking his beat. Not even interacting with anyone. He handled every one of them by the book.

He went to work every day to put food on my plate and me through college and every single day he was the target of scumbag criminals, gangs...... but I guess they're not AS BAD AS the scumbag police. Meanwhile my mom didnt know if he'd come home that night....... for 25+ years.

Want to paint some more? OK, you forgot:

Teachers.... Clergy...... Daycare workers........ neighbors......... extended family members........... postal employees.......... Boy Scout leaders....... bosses....... add anyone else you want, here.

NONE of these groups of people ever murdered nor harmed a hair on anyone else heads, right? Especially children.

There are good and bad EVERYBODY out there in the world. Becoming a cop doesnt make them perfect. Becoming a priest doesnt make someone perfect. Becoming a teacher doesnt make someone perfect. People are who they are. And I am saying this not know one ounce of FACT from the case in question. And you do not have one ounce more of FACT than I do. All you have is opinion.

There are a lot of people out there just waiting to catch a cop doing something wrong. No one reports on the thousands who do great things every single day. They only take videos like this one, quite possibly leaving out a heck of a lot of details that led up to the moment that they began recording.

Yea, you hit a nerve and you got me pissed. But you're entitled to your opinion. It doesnt mean your opinion is right though. And I guarantee that you're probably not perfect either.

Have a nice day.

PS - why dont you go for a ride-along with the police one night. Dont do it in a well to do area...... go to one of these areas that you see on the news where the cops are targets for being killed. See how long you last.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back